• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago cake

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
All the recipes I've found for Santiago cake have it baked on a sweet pastry base. My memory may be at fault, but I don't remember Santiago cake that I had in Santiago, or on the way there, having a pastry base. Are there any cake-making authorities on the forum? Does authentic Santiago cake have a pastry base?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think of it as having a baked pastry base. Last year I came across a good article about the tarta de Santiago which included a recipe. No mention of a pastry base there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've never seen a recipe for Tarta de Santiago that has any kind of crust. Here's a recipe in English.

Thanks, everyone. We've obviously been looking at different internets. Many years ago, I printed one off and followed the instructions. It was terrible! Then I noticed that there was no sugar in the recipe!

All the recipes I've found for Santiago cake have it baked on a sweet pastry base. My memory may be at fault, but I don't remember Santiago cake that I had in Santiago, or on the way there, having a pastry base. Are there any cake-making authorities on the forum? Does authentic Santiago cake have a pastry base?
Try Pinterest for a recipe, where I found, including the Saint James cross on top. enl the photo, copy and make a template

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try Pinterest for a recipe, where I found, including the Saint James cross on top. enl the photo, copy and make a template
Here is a fantastic recipe for Santiago cake. I have made this several times for different people and everyone raves about it. I cannot verify that it is authentic, however, it is incredibly tasty and there is no pastry crust involved. Super easy to make as well.

While you are at it, have you figured out how to get the PERFECT cross of Santiago design on the tarta once you figure out how to make it? Well, in Santiago, they sell stainless steel cutouts of the cross. They come in a set of one large and one small. The large is suitable to a full size tarta. The small for a min-tarta.

When not being used to bake, they make nifty decorations, like or hang in a window.

You can find them in most any ferreteria or household goods supply store in an around Santiago. But, my "go to" place to always find them is in the basement kitchen goods section of the large Ferreteria on Plaza de Galicia. I think the address is on Rua do Horreo the corner facing Plaza de Galicia.

Hope this helps.

Tom

You can find them in most any ferreteria or household goods supply store in an around Santiago. But, my "go to" place to always find them is in the basement kitchen goods section of the large Ferreteria on Plaza de Galicia
I bought a set there last month - they are now being sold on the main floor. I think that I paid 11€ for a set of two - one large3snd one small.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the assist.

The price has gone up - but so has everything. Back in the day, I used to pay €8,00. However, IMHO, it is still worth it.

I still recommend these. They make cake / tarta decoration very easy, and are dishwasher friendly.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I bought a set there last month - they are now being sold on the main floor. I think that I paid 11€ for a set of two - one large3snd one small.
What an awesome souvenir...inexpensive, lightweight, and slips into a backpack painlessly!

Thanks, all. I've made a stencil out of stiff paper. The only clever modification is to stick a couple of pieces of stick-back plastic (!) to it before use, so you can lift it off without making a mess.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Since getting back last month, I have made it several times! It is a big hit, especially among the gluten-free crowd. So easy, too. Something like this: zest an orange and a lemon, then squeeze their juice onto 3 cups of almond flour. Beat the yolks of 6 eggs with 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, add in almond flour and some flavorings (the zests, vanilla, almond, amaretto, salt, cinnamon—whatever you have that sounds good). Beat the egg whites until stiff, fold in. Put in greased pans lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for about 30-35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. You could halve the recipe for one, this makes two cakes. Happy eating!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have tried the method of beating the egg whites, and it resulted in a lighter spongier texture - a bit different from the Tarta de Santiago that I've enjoyed in Spain.
Yes - my texture preference is also for the more dense almond rather than the lighter cake. (But to each his own ).
I’ve only made it once myself but it is really the easiest and yummiest dessert I’ve ever made.

Thanks, all. I've made a stencil out of stiff paper. The only clever modification is to stick a couple of pieces of stick-back plastic (!) to it before use, so you can lift it off without making a mess.
The metal St James cross stencils with the ‘easy lift off hook’ are available in Santiago and probably other places. I bought mine years ago and there were 2 sizes in the pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've never seen a recipe for Tarta de Santiago that has any kind of crust. Here's a recipe in English.
I believe that's the one I used to bake mine. As stated nothing but almond flour, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. and yes I also like it dense so not beating the whites for me

As I walked into Santiago in 2007, Brïta from Vienna and I discussed the various takes on the Tarta de Santiago. Since then, I posted her recipe on our website https://victoriacamino.ca/camino-recipes/#TartadeSantiago . The longer you beat the eggs (Brïta suggest 5-10 minutes) the lighter the cake.

You've got many good responses, but here is a cook book that has the tart, plus the wonderful cheesecake. Both gluten free originally. No adjustments made.

Attachments

• 20230721_124551.jpg
    20230721_124551.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230721_124529.jpg
    20230721_124529.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I absolutely pigged out on this stuff in Galicia. They were always the same, flat, definitely a tart( tarta) not a cake( pastel) although the terms seem to be used interchangeably. It’s a very simple peasant recipe. I searched high and low for a recipe when I got back to Autralia but couldn’t find one anything authentic. Finally my daughter turned up one on a UK site called the Vintage Mixer or something like that. It came with rave reviews, the best ever, you’ll know the king of stuff, so I tried it, strictly following the recipe. It was very complicated and labour intensive, separating egg whites and yolks, beating and folding the whites etc. It turned out a thorough and bitter disappointment, nothing at all like the real thing. It was a nice enough egg and zest cake if you like these ingredients completely overpowering the taste of everything else. I should have learnt my lesson from the “best” claims. My experience is generally that this really means the worst. Anyway I worked and worked on this and came up with something I think is heaps better and much simpler. Still looking for that elusive taste but I’m getting closer:

10 oz almonds grind up yourself leave skins on for more flavour
7oz caster sugar
5 or 6 eggs
Zest from small lemon and orange but only a tiny bit, say a teaspoon of each otherwise it will overpower the lot
Teaspoon or maybe two of almond essence
Teaspoon of cinnamon powder

Now the easy bit. Just chuck it all in together, mix it up, whack it in a round baking tin based with baking paper and greased( butter and a bit of flour to prevent sticking) whack it in a fan forced oven at 180 C for half an hour an let cool down in the oven.

De Colores

John ( PS This has been added to my cooking for seduction recipe book although nothing there has ever worked for me. The other book is cooking for survival)

I absolutely pigged out on this stuff in Galicia. They were always the same, flat, definitely a tart( tarta) not a cake( pastel) although the terms seem to be used interchangeably. It’s a very simple peasant recipe. I searched high and low for a recipe when I got back to Autralia but couldn’t find one anything authentic. Finally my daughter turned up one on a UK site called the Vintage Mixer or something like that. It came with rave reviews, the best ever, you’ll know the king of stuff, so I tried it, strictly following the recipe. It was very complicated and labour intensive, separating egg whites and yolks, beating and folding the whites etc. It turned out a thorough and bitter disappointment, nothing at all like the real thing. It was a nice enough egg and zest cake if you like these ingredients completely overpowering the taste of everything else. I should have learnt my lesson from the “best” claims. My experience is generally that this really means the worst. Anyway I worked and worked on this and came up with something I think is heaps better and much simpler. Still looking for that elusive taste but I’m getting closer:

10 oz almonds grind up yourself leave skins on for more flavour
7oz caster sugar
5 or 6 eggs
Zest from small lemon and orange but only a tiny bit, say a teaspoon of each otherwise it will overpower the lot
Teaspoon or maybe two of almond essence
Teaspoon of cinnamon powder

Now the easy bit. Just chuck it all in together, mix it up, whack it in a round baking tin based with baking paper and greased( butter and a bit of flour to prevent sticking) whack it in a fan forced oven at 180 C for half an hour an let cool down in the oven.

De Colores

John ( PS This has been added to my cooking for seduction recipe book although nothing there has ever worked for me. The other book is cooking for survival)
Almond extract also works great. The grittiness from the ground almonds is a very nice touch. But the extract will provide the desired almond taste.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is another cake you may have encountered ... Basque Cake. When I was in SJPP a few weeks ago, I was in a restaurant and wanted some Tarta de Santiago. The waiter told me there was none, but he recommended the Basque Cake (Gâteau Basque). As I discovered, it is sometimes made with a pastry base and a custard filling, almond flavored. Delicious. You might want to search a recipe for that and then conduct a Bake-Off! 😃

Here is a fantastic recipe for Santiago cake. I have made this several times for different people and everyone raves about it. I cannot verify that it is authentic, however, it is incredibly tasty and there is no pastry crust involved. Super easy to make as well.
That’s the same one I’ve used, so easy and tasty! I substitute orange for lemon. I always thought the cake was dry till I made my own! Who knows how long they sit in the Santiago bakeries. Homemade is SO much better!

I had a lovely Santiago cake with ice cream as a dessert in a Spanish restaurant in Glasgow yesterday 😀. I also had a beef and chorizo empanada to start.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is another cake you may have encountered ... Basque Cake. When I was in SJPP a few weeks ago, I was in a restaurant and wanted some Tarta de Santiago. The waiter told me there was none, but he recommended the Basque Cake (Gâteau Basque). As I discovered, it is sometimes made with a pastry base and a custard filling, almond flavored. Delicious. You might want to search a recipe for that and then conduct a Bake-Off! 😃
I just looked up a recipe for Gâteau Basque and takes way more time to make than I care to give it!! 3-4 hours! I think I will order when I’m in Basque Country and savour every bite while in Spain! Thanks for the heads up about it as I have never heard of it.(anxious to try it!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Funnily enough we shared a Santiago cake in a Tapas restaurant here in Kent, UK, yesterday. Light, very tasty and served with strawberries, a drizzle of honey and some ice cream, delicious.

Beforehand had Patatas Bravas, Champinonas al Ajillo and Chorizo al Vino for me and Seleccion Iberica, Boquerones en Vinegra and Croquetas de Jamon for Mrs HS.

My I share a simple but definitive recipe for the Tarte de Santiago

22cm round cake tin
Preheat oven 175°C

in a bowl mix…
250g almond flour
250g sugar
zest 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange
1 x teaspoon cinnamon
5 large eggs

Mix flour, sugar, zest, cinnamon together
Add whole egg 1 at a time until incorporated, then add next egg till all done.

Pour into cake tin
Place into oven, reduce temp to 170°C
Time in oven…50 x minutes
(for a touch of the exotic add a good dash of Amarett)

Done

I bought a set to take home but, foolishly, packed it in my hand luggage instead of my bergan. It was confiscated at the airport security search as a sharp item ...

Ah! c'mon!
I have never seen a deep fried mars bar, far less a deep fried pizza! 😈
My mother worked in a chip shop just outside Alloa in the 1970s. Frozen pizzas were cooked in the fat fryer. No batter. When they came out you could wring the fat out of the dough base...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My mother worked in a chip shop just outside Alloa in the 1970s. Frozen pizzas were cooked in the fat fryer. No batter. When they came out you could wring the fat out of the dough base...
I have just seen this. I believe you, I do. I left home before deep fried mars bars and pizzas became a fad...and no chance you would get one over here in Ireland... to the best of my very limited knowledge of chipper cuisine outside the house! I doubt an airfryer would work. 😈

My memory of Tarta de Santiago does not include a pastry base. Not a disagreement, just a memory. Neither does the recipe I have.

The Best DEEP FRIED stuff comes from DEEP South and once you taste any of that... you NOT NEVAH going to be the same! 🙃

Every November I see videos from firefighters about the hazards of deep frying whole turkeys - usually with spectacular results. Looks interesting but I'm quite glad that some culinary traditions haven't made it to our side of the pond! :cool:

I have never seen a deep fried pickle, but I hear they exist.😛
@CWBuff, I am in the deep south at the moment and just a few days ago happened to see it on a menu and had commented that I doubt I would ever try one. I will make a point to order that appetizer while down here in Gulf Shores and report back eventually.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.