• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC tv series: "Pilgrimage: The Road Through Portugal" - starts 7 April

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
There is to be another series of the BBC programme "Pilgrimage" in which a deliberately mixed group of celebrities are filmed following a pilgrimage route. This time the group have followed a route from Valença to Fatima. The series is due to begin broadcast on Friday 7 April at 9pm on BBC Two. Episodes are very likely to be available on the BBC iPlayer service after broadcast.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for drawing our attention to this new series. I am not ashamed to admit that, instead of dissing them for the celebrities in the program, I am curious to know who they are. When I read “broadcaster and mathematician Bobby Seagull, a practising Catholic” I immediately went to Wikipedia and when I read that Seagull has since become a national campaigner to improve maths literacy. He is concerned that in the United Kingdom [and elsewhere!!!] it is acceptable to celebrate being bad at maths as if it is a badge of honour, I thought: “My kind of guy” :cool:. Plus: Fatima as the destination - a different kind of category than the previous destinations, I think.

Definitely will watch it.

Last edited:
@Kathar1na Bobby Seagull was one of the two on the list that I recognised (the other was Su Pollard!). He is one of the BBC's favourite nerds and crops up regularly on tv and radio whenever they want to promote mathematics or teaching as being far more exciting than most of us might otherwise believe! :cool: Sometimes as part of a double-act with another geek discovered through the "University Challenge" tv quiz programme - the Canadian Eric Monkman.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for drawing our attention to this new series. I am not ashamed to admit that, instead of dissing them for the celebrities in the program, I am curious to know who they are. When I read “broadcaster and mathematician Bobby Seagull, a practising Catholic” I immediately went to Wikipedia and when I read that Seagull has since become a national campaigner to improve maths literacy. He is concerned that in the United Kingdom [and elsewhere!!!] it is acceptable to celebrate being bad at maths as if it is a badge of honour, I thought: “My kind of guy” :cool:. Plus: Fatima as the destination - a different kind of category than the previous destinations, I think.

Definitely will watch it.
In the way that the universe often balances itself out I regret that you’ll find Bobby Seagull and Sue Pollard to be like matter and anti-matter.

Have a look for the radio and TV programmes which Seagull and his former quiz show adversary Eric Monkman have made. They would be right up your street.

In the way that the universe often balances itself out I regret that you’ll find Bobby Seagull and Sue Pollard to be like matter and anti-matter.

Have a look for the radio and TV programmes which Seagull and his former quiz show adversary Eric Monkman have made. They would be right up your street.

Seeing I stopped my subscription with my TV provider I unfortunately can' t get BBC anymore. Long live You Tube!
And my old DVD's from the Fast Show! ;)
Ok back to the subject!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So delighted to see another series of ‘Pilgrimage’, @Bradypus - I’ve loved all the other series and if Lee Ingleby does the narration once again that will be fantastic. Thanks for alerting us all to it.

Can’t wait for it to be screened on the tv here in Australia … in the meantime I’ll try to pick it up on YouTube.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Church Times interview
Thanks for the link and thinking of me 🙃. I would not have seen it otherwise. Interesting. I am even tempted to say fascinating. I am always fascinated when people from sciences like mathematics or astrophysics manage to … not sure how to express this properly … live with the duality of modern science and Christian faith. And also interesting to read that he grew up in a family environment that knows pilgrimage traditions which, of course, are not the foot / Camino pilgrimage tradition that we mostly talk about on the forum.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our paths crossed on my Portuguese Camino last year! Had a chat and a photo with Sue Pollard. She’s awesome!

There is to be another series of the BBC programme "Pilgrimage" in which a deliberately mixed group of celebrities are filmed following a pilgrimage route. This time the group have followed a route from Valença to Fatima. The series is due to begin broadcast on Friday 7 April at 9pm on BBC Two. Episodes are very likely to be available on the BBC iPlayer service after broadcast.

Synchronicity - a friend just alerted me to the series. I will record it, and hope the machine will behave. Other things I thought I had recorded took leave of absence and so I missed them. No doubt it is the tv getting back at me for not paying enough attention to it. 😈
Let's hope...

ynchronicity - a friend just alerted me to the series. I will record it, and hope the machine will behave. Other things I thought I had recorded took leave of absence and so I missed them.
If the thing is still playing up then you should be able to watch the programmes on BBC iPlayer once they are broadcast.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not in Dublin, so far as I know...but thanks for the thought. I might phone Virgin media and see if I have a wrong setting somewhere.🙏

I have watched a few of these series. In general, I find them disappointing as they rarely walk the routes in any sensible order, let alone walk a complete route. Moreover, they often seem to think 5km is a long way to walk. However, this seems true of most walking/hiking programmes.

Not in Dublin, so far as I know...but thanks for the thought. I might phone Virgin media and see if I have a wrong setting somewhere.🙏
@Kirkie we can't get the bbc iplayer as it is restricted to the UK*. If you have a Virgin TV subscription you should be able to watch it when broadcast - the best approach i find is to the record the whole series (should give you this option when you set to record the 1st ep). That way you have the whole series once broadcast even if you forget later weeks.

*unless you get a VPN for the UK but that's beyond my capabilities/desire

Sorry @Kirkie clearly didn't read your earlier message! Doh! Too early on a Sunday morning for me 😜

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Asking about the coverage in Portugal, will it be broadcast on You Tube simultaneously or a later date? I can not get BBC from my provider.

@Kirkie we can't get the bbc iplayer as it is restricted to the UK*. If you have a Virgin TV subscription you should be able to watch it when broadcast - the best approach i find is to the record the whole series (should give you this option when you set to record the 1st ep). That way you have the whole series once broadcast even if you forget later weeks.

*unless you get a VPN for the UK but that's beyond my capabilities/desire

Sorry @Kirkie clearly didn't read your earlier message! Doh! Too early on a Sunday morning for me 😜
Thank you... I think perhaps the problem could be that the person in our house who watches tv live, ie the news, switches everything off afterwards.
Everything. Not a flickering light anywhere. Save energy and all that.
I am going to try a test later, by recording any old rubbish, begging her not to turn it off at the wall, and see if it works.
I have already told the tv (can you believe this?) to please record the whole series. Imagine talking to a machine and it actually interprets what you say and smartly salutes and does what you ask.
May the smart folk who have called for a 6 month moratorium on AI pool their true intelligences and protect us from AI...
Will report back.😁

Apparently all three episodes will be available from tonight on BBC iPlayer after the first episode is broadcast. For those who prefer a binge watching session. I saw clips from the new series being plugged by three of the participants on another BBC programme last night. Some very beautiful scenery but I am beginning to guess which one of the celebs would be first on my list for voting out if the programme makers had gone quite so far down the "entertainment" format route... :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apparently all three episodes will be available from tonight on BBC iPlayer after the first episode is broadcast. For those who prefer a binge watching session. I saw clips from the new series being plugged by three of the participants on another BBC programme last night. Some very beautiful scenery but I am beginning to guess which one of the celebs would be first on my list for voting out if the programme makers had gone quite so far down the "entertainment" format route... :cool:
thanks for the reminder...

I watched all three episodes of the new series in a long session. Very much according to the now-established formula. The same self-conscious mix of religious backgrounds and one paralympic athlete! What felt like very contrived scenes encountering local Muslims and Jews also echoed the past series. In what appears to be yet another part of the BBC "Pilgrimage" tradition there was also one celeb in particular who I would have quite liked to have muzzled from the start but who seemed to improve a little as time passed! :cool: Visually stunning for much of the journey. I had not fully appreciated the scale of the Fatima sanctuary. Overall I found this series very much like the previous ones - a curate's egg. But it has made me give serious thought to walking the same route myself so that is a definite plus.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve just watched this for the second time ( once is spectacle, twice is…) for those with an inclination to consider the subtleties of belief and faith pay close attention to Nabil Abdulrashid.

And there is some lush scenery and dodgy history for those who just want part one 😉

I’ve just watched this for the second time ( once is spectacle, twice is…) for those with an inclination to consider the subtleties of belief and faith pay close attention to Nabil Abdulrashid.
I found him the most interesting and sympathetic of the celebs. I'll let you guess which one I sometimes wanted to tap on the head with a bottle of vinho verde. :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back