• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Be careful of David!!

Corazon Puro

Time of past OR future Camino
2006, 2008, 2011, 2012
I'd like to inform all of you: Beware of David (USA) I don't know from where exactly because he told us at least three different US cities...

This man ordered our service to pick him up in Pamplona and accomodation in our pensión, Corazon Puro. His country fellowman spent one day with us and she was very happy and that is why she recomended us to David. We agreed to meet him in Pamplona but he was not there, half hour later he called me and said he is at an other place. We were looking for him at least one hour and finally he was at the bus station. He seemed to be happy to find us. He came with us to the train station to fetch a lady who also booked a place. When we were there David get out from the car and said he would like to take something out from his backpack... and rapidly grabbed his luggage and said: I don't know you I don't trust you! .... and left. Two other pilgrims and myself were shocked.

I think this man needs the Camino to clear his head.

http://www.corazonpuro.es

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Beware of David!!!!

He sounds as if he's suffering from an illness. Hopefully he can enjoy his Camino without further incidents! Buen Camino!

Re: Beware of David!!!!

That sure sounds like bizarre behavior and I am glad that you are raising the flag to BEWARE.

This sad incident brings back a recent article I read on the astonishing rise of undiagnosed mental illness in the United States. There are thousands and thousands of people walking around fully functional in many aspects of their lives but who are completely out of touch in many others. The current practice of overmedicating anxiety disorders is like placing a band-aid on a hemorraghic limb-- absurd and dangerous.

I am going back to the Camino in May and I will like to thank you for putting the word out there of what seems like disconcerting behavior.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Beware of David!!!!

Please be gentle with anyone you come across who is mentally ill. They cannot help their condition and it can be every bit as devastating as cancer or another physical illness. Obviously we need to be sensibly cautious if a person behaves erratically but what they need is help and support, not judgements.

On one of my caminos I found myself walking for a short while with a young fellow who was obviously quite ill. He said his parents had sent him to walk the Camino "to get well" but he kept getting turned away from albergues "because no one wants me. They tell me to keep walking, but how far do I have to go?". He had walked all the way from Holland and by my calculations that day he had covered over 50 kilometres. I was alone and as there was no-one around to help I could do little but he really needed medical treatment. He walked on ahead (I'm a slow old lady) and never saw him again. He is on my conscience to this day.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We already talked extensively about mental illnesses on different threads so I will not start again.
But please be gentle and openminded when you come across someone with a mental illness or a psychological vulnerability.
Certain " mad " behaviour isn't always a sign of mental illness.
Two examples of my Camino this year...

One guy ( just retired ) we called el loco ( the mad ) German because he was angry all the time and criticising everything. Seems he was a high powered businessman who just got away with lots in his life.
Then I met a young guy whom I got talking too. In his country he was diagnosed (and on official sickleave ) for a bipolar disorder. He took his medication very strict, looked after himself : never any alcohol and limiting his distances daily, stopping in small places. He was a gentle soul and did not do anyone any harm.

And please you have to know that people with a psychiatric diagnosis ( as schizophrenia ) are more likely to be a victim than making victms! And now I'm talking with the knowledge of working 22 years as a social worker in mental health.
Ok, my rant is over....;-)

My aim was only to tell this story about a strange man. He is strange, I don't want to say he is ill or has any disability. I walked the Camino many times, I worked in different albergues as a hospitalero, so I met a lot of people. And now I have a pensión for pilgrims and my wife and me would like to help the pilgrims, with comfortable accomodation, good foods, advices if the need, we try to help with pure heart. That is why we call our pension "Corazón Puro" And we didn't except nice words, but if I give a hand to somebody he has no right to hit. That is all!
http://www.corazonpuro.es

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It can be an uncomfortable experience to be in the company of someone who is mentally ill. But we should try and remember that their lives can be a hell on earth.

Bit of a shock there but, he isn't necessarily mentally ill. He could have been jet-lagged and terribly over-tired and this may have been his very first time abroad in what to him would be an alien environment - so, he could just have had a panic attack and run.

We just don't know ....
I hope he is ok, I hope he got a good nights sleep and is now feeling a little (a lot) sheepish about his behaviour, I hope he is well.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back