• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you had to choose to skip a part of the route. What would be your choice?

Bvdh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March 2024
Hello to yo all,
19th of March I will leave for my first Camino. I want to walk from SJPDP to Muxia and have 42 days. That's not very generous in number of days.
I have done quite a few longer treks before and I know I don't feel like running, want to take time to look around and stay a little longer in places I like. For me it's about the experience not about walking the maximum number of kilometres every day. But on the 42nd day it is my birthday and I want to be on the coast in Muxia.

My question: if you had to choose to skip a bit of the route. Taking the bus for 30 km or so because it's all asphalt or not a nice area. Which stretch would you choose not to walk then?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You look and sound fit and are experienced so you probably pack light and know how to walk (I mean that, casual, relaxed, upright and head up, etc) so you probably have enough time.
To me the cathedral is important so if I was on your route I would probably get to Santiago and then, if time short, take a bus to Muxia though that would probably defeat your plans.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With 42 days I don't think that you'll need to skip any sections at all. It's very normal to complete SJPdP to Santiago in 35 days or less. I was 58 when I walked my first Camino and I walked from SJPdP to Finisterre in 35 days.

Last edited:
I personally did not like the part from Villafranca Montes de Oca to San Juan de Ortega. It seemed to go on and on. Well, it was that way in 2011.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are a number of companies in the Burgos area that rent bicycles that can be dropped off in the León area. That way you can see all of the meseta under your own power and save some days.

By Burgos you should have a good idea of how many more days you will need to walk all the way. Maybe you'll want to continue walking but you could choose to rent a bike or bus.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
While i think that 42 days are plenty for a decent walker, the sections i might skip if i was forced to do so would be either Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos or the day into and out of Leon (or even Sahagun-Leon/Leon-Astorga if i was really desperate)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't really like Pamplona, but lots of other people do so you'll figure out what you need to do and what works for you. I like the Sarria to Santiago part. In the summer there's lots of beautiful flowers. In the winter it is very solitary.

I'd probably skip the hills if I could. For example at O Cebreiro you can ride a horse to the top instead of walking and you can rent a bike down the other side (or at least you could a few years ago). The problem is that there is usually some great view from the top of the hill that almost makes the walk up worthwhile. I would also skip the walk down past Cruz de Fiero though as it is pretty strenuous and hard on the knees.

Last edited:
Hello to yo all,
19th of March I will leave for my first Camino. I want to walk from SJPDP to Muxia and have 42 days. That's not very generous in number of days.
I have done quite a few longer treks before and I know I don't feel like running, want to take time to look around and stay a little longer in places I like. For me it's about the experience not about walking the maximum number of kilometres every day. But on the 42nd day it is my birthday and I want to be on the coast in Muxia.

My question: if you had to choose to skip a bit of the route. Taking the bus for 30 km or so because it's all asphalt or not a nice area. Which stretch would you choose not to walk then?
What section someone would skip over is a very subjective question and will probably be answered very differently. Some don't like steep downhill, uphill, flat Meseta or a rainy day etc. Instead, maybe you should ask what sections can you walk longer days. Here I would recommend the Meseta ie: area from Fromista to Leon very flat, or from Sarria.

That said, I don't think you will have any trouble walking to Muxia in 42 days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My least loved sections? Probably Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Burgos, and Leon to Astorga..

And as for those stages west of Sarria? Not my favorites by any means -- I'm a Meseta man! -- but if ya ain't walked Sarria to SdeC at least once, ya ain't walked the Camino!

Last edited:
I would probably say if I was going to miss a section- Mansilla to Leon as there are regular buses into the centre, and then take a bus out from Leon to Virgin del camino would total nearly 30km.
I loved the meseta. Sarria to SdeC I tried to join in the party but truthfully just tried to avoid the main stopping points but its definitelyan experience!. So I wouldn't want to miss them!

But one other idea is maybe wait and see - March could bring heavy rain or bad weather that would mean a day on a bus or train may be more pleasant than slogging on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m with everyone who thinks you can do it comfortably in 42 days - and that includes a few rest days / half days…

But if you do choose to save some kms here or there…Mansilla to Leon is on the uninspiring front, and Leon to La Virgin del Camino is dreary. (just as I write this, I see @roving_rufus has posted along similar lines :)

Please please whatever you do, don’t skip the Meseta - it’s magical.

42 days is totally doable for SJPdP to Muxia.
I walked SJPdP to SdC in 27 days without skipping any part (despite the last 10k just before Leon by bus).
Just walk, there is no need to rush or skip!

And as mentioned by others: don't skip the Meseta!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello to yo all,

But that leaves you with less than 22 k per day which is maybe less stressful than you think as you might develop hikers legs along the way. But that was not your question, I know :)
I personally would never cut any part from the middle as it does not work for me psychologically. That said, I would start simply at a later stage (e.g. Pamplona) and from there have a continuous walking experience. I want to start somewhere and have my legs carry me all the way to the destination. Skipping in between would ruin my walking experience totally. And with that I mean really totally.

That is just me of course. But consider that this psychology, maybe in a milder form, could also be hidden somewhere in your mind.

I didn't really like Pamplona, but lots of other people do so you'll figure out what you need to do and what works for you. I like the Sarria to Santiago part. In the summer there's lots of beautiful flowers. In the winter it is very solitary.

I'd probably skip the hills if I could. For example at O'Cebreiro you can ride a horse to the top instead of walking and you can rent a bike down the other side (or at least you could a few years ago). The problem is that there is usually some great view from the top of the hill that almost makes the walk up worthwhile. I would also skip the walk down past Cruz de Fiero though as it is pretty strenuous and hard on the knees.
The horse option doesn't actually save time though. its not a long stretch and you don't start until 9am. I was a lot quicker the time I walked as I started earlier.

I could imagine skipping Molinaseca to Ponferrada and Ponferrada - Carcabelos - Pieros that wasn’t mentioned yet… if I really really had to… and if I was not able to average 20 km per day within 40 days

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Barring any injuries, you have more than enough time to make it to Muxia and even stop for a few rest days.

Another pilgrim tried to talk me into skipping the meseta and taking the bus with him. I declined and am glad I did. I ran into some heavy rain for a day (and the mud that comes with it), but I loved the landscape, the quiet, and the small villages. And the food never tasted better than after those long days.

While I could take a pass on the crowds after Sarria, they really weren't that much of a bother and I stayed in a beautiful pension with it's own chapel (wish I had the name to it handy) about a half-day's walk from Santiago. I guess my point is that I don't regret keeping on the Way in all the places that many people recommend skipping. If time permits, and it sounds like it does, my recommendation is to stick to it.

Another pilgrim tried to talk me into skipping the meseta and taking the bus with him. I declined and am glad I did.
I don't understand why other pilgrims encourage or recommend skipping parts of the Camino when no one has asked them. If that's what they want to do, that's fine, but they should leave those of us who want to walk all the way alone!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did walk all the way myself, but the OP's question was asking if you had to skip a part, what would you choose, hence the variety of answers.🤷
I understand that. The difference between @Bvdh and the person trying to convince @Jarrad to skip the Meseta is that @Bvdh is asking for advice, whereas the recommendation to skip the Meseta was totally unsolicited.

I edited my post above to reflect that.

I’m with everyone who thinks you can do it comfortably in 42 days - and that includes a few rest days / half days…

But if you do choose to save some kms here or there…Mansilla to Leon is on the uninspiring front, and Leon to La Virgin del Camino is dreary. (just as I write this, I see @roving_rufus has posted along similar lines :)

Please please whatever you do, don’t skip the Meseta - it’s magical.
I agree with Simperegrina, above.

I planned 3 rest days, which I was going to take in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon to explore, rest and have a room to myself etc. I never did take one of them, couldn't bear the thought of a day not walking in the end, and actually found the thought of staying in a city after the magical beauty and silence of the mountains and open spaces quite anxiety inducing!! Although I did love looking around the cities and visiting the cathedrals etc on my way through.

Everyone is different of course, but it's worth bearing in mind that what you think you'll want to do while sat in your armchair isn't necessarily what you'll want to do once you embark on this amazing path. The Camino, I learnt, is best unplanned, but of course that shouldn't preclude you from having some ideas of things you may like to do.

I think I eventually hit Santiago in 31/30 days averaging around 30km a day and I certainly don't feel I rushed anything at all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
42 days is totally doable for SJPdP to Muxia.
I walked SJPdP to SdC in 27 days without skipping any part (despite the last 10k just before Leon by bus).
Just walk, there is no need to rush or skip!

And as mentioned by others: don't skip the Meseta!
I did the camino in 2015 and I skipped the meseta, which I regretted after. I will be there in May to do it!

Hello to yo all,

I would skip Sarria to Santiago as it can get too busy from there.

Hello to yo all,

The rioja region. Kind of boring in my thoughts

I would do the whole Camino Frances then if you are pressed for time take a bus to Muxia. You could also take a bus to Fisterra/Finnesterre, then hike to Muxia from there. That would be shorter than hiking to Muxia from Santiago. I was 64 in 2022 when I hiked from St Jean to Santiago in 30 days. I didn't take any rest days except for when I got to Santiago. However, I did take a few short days. And then at Santiago, I took the bus to Fisterra/Finnesterre. I didn't hike to Muxia, but two other people I knew did. I have done 30 videos of the Camino Frances located here: http://tmanshikes.com/frances-route-videos/

I would skip Sarria to Santiago as it can get too busy from there.
I wouldn't mind that it is more busy after Sarria.
The best short-term talks with fellow pilgrims I had on coffee- and interim breaks between Sarria and SdC!

Let alone the amount of potential walking partners to share your experience on the Praza d'Obradoiro!
In my experience 42 days is a much time for a pleasant, nonstressing pilgrimage from SJPdP to Muxia.

Hello to yo all,

I'm willing to bet that you can do the whole route in no more than 35 days of walking, which leaves you time to take breaks in some wonderful cities, including Burgos, Leon and Astorga, as we did, and still spend 3 days in Santiago, which we also did.

Go for it! Don't plan in advance to skip a section. See how it goes. If you fall behind for whatever reason, and there are many, it's easy to catch a bus, train or taxi to get you back on track.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello to yo all,

The part of the walk i least enjoyed was Sarria To Santiago. You have more than enough time to do the entire walk. Why not postpone your decision and see how well the walk progresses and then decide to skip some portions (if you need to).

I did the camino in 2015 and I skipped the meseta, which I regretted after. I will be there in May to do it!
I, too, skipped the Meseta in 2015 on my first Camino in order to spend a week along the coast. I walked the Frances again in 2017 including the Meseta and loved it. I was so glad I got to experience all it had to offer in landscape and its unique, interesting villages.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can always start in SJPP and time your “skip” as you go. When I walked the Frances in 2022, I had a commitment back home that gave me a deadline, but my body had other ideas. With sore, swollen feet, I took a taxi from Belorado to Burgos and rested. Then reduced my mileage a bit out of Burgos, which resolved my blisters and sore feet issue. But then upon reaching Molinaseca, I realized I’d never make it to Santiago on time, so took a taxi again to the base of the hill up to O Cebreiro. That’s the part I’d like to go back and do over again. I wouldn’t skip the Meseta or Sarria to Santiago. Play it by ear and see how it goes…

Hello to yo all,

If I had to bus for a 30 km stretch between SJPP and Muxia, I would bus the last 30 km between Finisterre and Muxia. The I get to walk the whole way from SJPP to the sea and still get to finish at Muxia. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with that last 30 km. But it would be the least disruptive to cut out.

If I wasn't planning on going to Muxia via Finisterre and had to cut out another 30 km section, I would probably cut out the section from Negreira to Olveiroa. Again on the princliple that it is the least disruptive.

Then:
a) You don't suddenly find yourself jumping ahead of pilgrims you may have got to know and like.
b) You don't interrupt the rhythm of your Camino to Santiago de Compostela.
c) You leave open the possibility that you may find you don't need to bus at all.

Hello to yo all,

II walked SJPP to Santiago in 32 days last year for the first time at 65 years old and I was not a hiker. This was my first long hike.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All great suggestions above.
At age 56 and starting ‘only a bit fit’ I walked from SJPP to Finistere in 42 days. I had thought to take a rest day here and there but when it came down to it the body and I just wanted to walk.
My fitness improved radically along the way. My shortest day was 4 km - my longest was 30 + km.
I liked to start early and always got into places with enough time in the afternoon to look around and see what was worth seeing.
Barring unforeseen events, you don’t sound like you will have any trouble getting to Muxia in your allocated time. And even your goal of getting there for your birthday may change along the way. If you have time you could take a bus from Muxia to Finistere (or a two day walk). And the bus from Finistere to Santiago is along a beautiful coastal route.
You will figure it out as you go.
Blessings, enjoy and Buen Camino

So many good suggestions. If I were you and on my first Camino, I would not skip, not one step. On my first I was 50 yrs, I went from SJPdP to SdC in 34 days. This includes one rest day on day 21 in Virgin del Camino. (Because my body said so.) I was so committed to my pilgrimage that I ignored those around me who hopped in taxis or jumped on the bus. You know what? We all landed in Santiago the same day. 😂 Once in Santiago I had time to walk to Fisterra/Muxia but decided to take the bus. Watched the sunset in Fisterra then bused to Muxia the next morning for a lovely day on the rocks, same day, bused back to Santiago. I agree with those who say, just wait and see. You’ll be surprised how far your feet will take you each day. Don’t cheat yourself, embrace all the Camino has to give. God bless and Buen Camino. 😎👣🌻 I envy you being your first and all. There’s never another first. 😉

Last edited:
Hello to yo all,

Leaving Leon. I was told by another Pikgrim that it is one of the most boring of walks. I took his advice and left Leon by bus but only for about 12km. Then got off and walked for about 8km to the albergue I had booked. So glad I did as it let me have a couple of more hours in bed, have a relaxing breakfast. When I watched the route out of Leon from the bus, it was very depressing.

Hello to yo all,

Just my two cents, but if I felt pressed for time, I might rent a bike in maybe Burgos and pedal across the Meseta to Leon, to save a bit of time, while at the same time experiencing the Camino as a cyclist.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
42 days is plenty enough time to walk it all. Bear in mind that the 'normal' time (if there is a normal time) is 33 days from SJPDP to SdC, which gives you 9 days to do the short hop to Muxia. You won't need to rush, you won't need to miss any of the excitement, adventures, or sights, and you could easily do it all and have the most amazing experience. My sound advice? Don't miss a single kilometre, and you'll still have spare time to relax.

If you start without a plan, then you can see how it goes, talk to other pilgrims in situ and decide what is best for you. Whatever you think will happen now, will be very different from what you experience and feel once you are on the road.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leaving Leon. I was told by another Pikgrim that it is one of the most boring of walks. I took his advice and left Leon by bus but only for about 12km. Then got off and walked for about 8km to the albergue I had booked. So glad I did as it let me have a couple of more hours in bed, have a relaxing breakfast. When I watched the route out of Leon from the bus, it was very depressing.
Yip, the industrial outskirts of the city are boring, but after 1,5-2hrs you reach Virgen del Camino and the way is getting more and more rural. I was accompanied by a group and we walked under the full moon out of the city and it was nice to see the city come awake. Reached Hospital de Orbigo that day. Lovely little town. Amazing Albergues (San Nicolas and Casa de los Hidalgos).

Hello to yo all,

I'd skip the Camino Frances.

Hello to yo all,

Just before Burgos or Leon .
Sahagan to Leon is very popular with RENFE according to locals in inclement weather .
Take 4 days to Muxia , enjoy the peace and that beautiful village Muxia.
16 years ago the kindness of a beautiful german lady , who married a spaniard and opened Bar Lorena , supplying fine wines from all countries within Europe made sure we returned and we did a few years later after commencing in Le Puy .
She is now with her maker but the property still has her spirit there with the locals.
It's called Pension Rustica .
When sipping your beer , snapps or wine there BVDH , you will realise what the above is about.
Safe and dry Camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi
Where and what is 'Muxia' suppised to be?
Sipping options:
Camino frances: 3 days on the Meseta (boring and along the highway!)
Camino portugues: the entire stretch between Lisboa and Porto
Ultreia!

You can more than likely do that trek in 42 days, however when I did the Camino, I cycled the meseta to save time. A lot of people think that’s sacrilegious, but it was necessary for me at the time, and I do plan to go back, maybe just to walk the meseta one day. It basically cut 6-7 days’ walking (167kms) down to just over 2 days, and as an added bonus, doing this renewed my love of cycling, and we basically switched our sore feet for sore bums for a few days. Lol. Highly recommend!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know that many people love the Meseta. I don’t understand why miles and miles of nothing, not even a tree to get away from sun which was brutal in September. Good luck deciding. Wish i had a picture to send you. Buen Camino

€60,-
I know that many people love the Meseta. I don’t understand why miles and miles of nothing, not even a tree to get away from sun which was brutal in September. Good luck deciding. Wish i had a picture to send you. Buen Camino
It might not be as picturesque as Antigua (been there a couple of years ago) ;-) ... but miles of nothing is something many people cannot get where they live. It is an experience very different from their normal life. Also, some people need the nothing to empty their head, others need it to fill it. Many people got their greatest Camino "enlightenment" in the Meseta. To them it is a core part of their Camino.
For me, it was different. To me it felt like easy gentle walking where I did not need to think much. I walk between 30 and 40 k a day, so I had some nice places in between.

Camino-0225.jpgCamino-0226.jpgCamino-0237.jpgCamino-0241.jpg

some examples of Meseta in July 2019. Outstanding experience! Your scale will be reset.

Hello Chronic Walker, A lot of pilgrims, after reaching Santiago, walk on to Finisterre to the 0.000k marker by the lighthouse. Muxia is a small seaside town about 36k to the north of Finisterre on the coast. Many pilgrims do not consider their Camino complete until being photographed at the marker.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Chronic Walker, A lot of pilgrims, after reaching Santiago, walk on to Finisterre to the 0.000k marker by the lighthouse. Muxia is a small seaside town about 36k to the north of Finisterre on the coast. Many pilgrims do not consider their Camino complete until being photographed at the marker.
In 2008 in Melide having shared a table with elderly locals dining at the famous outlet we were told that the Spanish regard Muxia as the finish .

That little exchange with the father of the backpack stealing child in the movie The Way about finishing at Muxia indicated from the Spanish point of view the finish
He left the reasons unsaid

Walk on from Muxia to Finisterre and stop at Lires , a lovely conclusion .

Last edited:
Hi
Where and what is 'Muxia' suppised to be?
Sipping options:
Camino frances: 3 days on the Meseta (boring and along the highway!)
Camino portugues: the entire stretch between Lisboa and Porto
Ultreia!
This is Muxia. It’s a three/four day walk from Santiago to the Atlantic. It and Fisterra are a Camino all on their own. Many go to Fisterra to witness the sunset as a tradition after a Camino. For some Muxia is a special, even spiritual place. A place to seal and celebrate one’s completion of a Camino, among other things. October 10, 2013.
😎👣🌻

Santiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%201026.jpegSantiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%201029.jpegSantiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%201043.jpegSantiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%201063.jpegSantiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%201078.jpeg
Fisterra October 9, 2013

Santiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%201118.jpegSantiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%20972.jpegsunset%20with%20megan%20finisterre.jpeg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I sailed through the Meseta doing it in just over 6 days instead of 8.
I think that's the way to go. By the time you get to Burgos you have
gotten more in shape and in tune with hiking, so you should be ready
hike a bit farther. The Meseta is relatively flat, so it's an easier hike.
The big hill you do encounter, Alto Mostelares, is easier to get up
and down than many other mountains on the camino. I usually don't
like hiking more than an hour in the morning darkness, but when I stayed
in Burgos, I started out two hours before dawn because I would be hiking
with the city lights for an hour or so. I hiked out to Hontanas that day for
19.7 miles. The next day I went to Boadilla for 18 miles and the next to
Carrion for 15.25 miles. You pretty much have to stop at Carrion because
there isn't another town for 11 miles. After Carrion I went to Terradillos
for 16.6 miles, Bercianos for 14.6 miles and Villarente for 20.25 miles.
Mansilla has shut down their Municipal Albergue making their town
a pinch point. But apparently they are investing $700,000 euros on
making a new pilgrims shelter. See link at the end. Then it was only 7.5 miles
from Villarente to Leon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In the end, looking back on my Camino, i'am just glad I didn't have to make a choice to skip a section. Mountains, long flat sections of the Meseta, entering and leaving the bigger cities. it was al these different parts of the Camino that formed an experience that tied together one big long journey. But I understand when there's a time constraint or if it's your second time walking the same Camino and there's a section you really don't like and want to skip it. But for a first Camino I would try to walk the whole way if possible. You might find like me the whole way was magical.

If I absolutely had to ... then perhaps the entry and exit of Leon.

Like others , I would think you have plenty of time to achieve your goal , assuming getting to Muxia by your birthday is it
Last year we took a taxis out of Leon for about 7 klm. But we walked into Leon and found a great little restaurant. Happy days.

I stayed in Leon for three nights for Semana Santa and I still finished the Camino in 32 days, with no long treks. You can definitely do it in 42.
However, if you wanted places to skip:
Sarria - Santiago in my opinion makes the camino lose all its charm. It's commercial, it's crowded and people do not respect the Way. However, you won't be able to get a credencial if you don't get two stamps a day, so I guess not an option.

I like to skip the industrial parts of bigger cities so I often took the bus into and out of cities such as Burgos and Leon. I usually only saved myself like 5-10 kms but because all those kms would have been on asphalt through not so pretty parts of the cities, I didn't mind. I still explored the center of the cities.

If you want to avoid injuries, I recommend taking the asphalt (car) road down from the mountain to descend to Molinaseca (after the Cruz de Ferro). Every single time I walked that part of the camino, I met at least 5 pilgrims who got injured on that part because it is so steep and rocky. And some of them were seasoned hikers.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back