• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Been a while but, I did make it. And some wisdom gained sin

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
Just posting that I did make it to the Camino and am currently in Burgos, so been at it a while now.

[img=800x600]Http://imgur.com/1jVDw.jpg[/img]

1. If I had to do it again, I'd stay in Orisson. Not because of the distance, but rather the weather. The first half of the day was great, but at the top part along where the numbered waymarkers are, the weather rapidly deteriorated and so I was stuck up on a mountain top in now bitter cold (hypothermia was a concern for me and I changed clothes right on the trail), rain then hail followed by lightening and thunder. The descent into Roncesvalles in those conditions was rather treacherous at best. I did make it safely, though.

2. The way is not always marked logically nor well at times. I lost it several times just coming into Burgos, for example. Also pay no heed to which way the conch shell way marks are pointing, because the people who put them up certainly didn't. Follow the beaten path and you'll do better.

3. The locals are usually very supportive of the peregrinos. I went into a panaderia and there was a very grumpy looking old lady behind the counter. As she gave me the change she grabbed my hand with both hers, pressing a small tart into it, and with a very warm smile wished me a Buen Camino. It made my day. Also, several people honk and wave at you. Truckers blow there horns at you as you walk alongside the highway. Had a guy dressed all in black and chains yell out from across the Castillo square in Pamplona "peregrino! Peregrino! buen Camino!" and thumped his fist into his chest when I looked at him.

4. Learn as much Spanish as you can prior. French is important for about one day, and then you really need Spanish. There are, however, many multi-lingual locals.

5. Explore he towns. They have a ton of neat stuff in them. Take an extra day if need be.

6. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten track if you see a shortcut. There are several which can save you several minutes of unnecessary walking. But at the same time, its not a race, so if you need a rest, take a rest. This might change in the busier months as the albergues fill earlier, but its not a problem in June as of yet. That may change as I hit the 100 km mark.

7. Take as much medical supplies with you as you can. Moleskin, blister treatments, band aids. Whatever. Its all very expensive in Spain.

8. Bring a small backpack. I bought a 48 L one and only use about 30 f it and I carry quite a bit of stuff. The smaller pack will weigh less. I'm surprised at the difference in empty weights sometimes.

More as I plod along. Almost have broken the 500 km'mark.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for for sharing your adventure so far! Oh my goodness, st. Jean to roncessvalle, sounds very dire under the weather circumstances. Good for you for persevering!

Thanks for the tips,

Hope to hear more about your walk soon,

Yes,
Thank you for the current updates.

I'm heading to SJPP July 25th and these updates are very helpful/encouraging.

Thanks again & Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are practically there, thanks for sharing :D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Wondering if you are stuck, without a bed, in the middle of the Camino, in a very small town...can we expect to get a taxi to another location where beds might be available?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back