• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning my Camino Frances on April 15

PaultheCanuck

Hi, my name is Paul. I'm a 50 year old Canadian living in Calgary Alberta. I've been planning my camino for over a year now and the much anticipated start is fast approaching. I've chosen to start my Camino in mid-April because I was hoping for cooler weather, spring flowers and getting off the treadmill to think and enjoy life. I must admit that regardless of all this prep time I'm still apprehensive about what to expect and whether I'll get to the end. Winter in Canada being what it is (snow, cold ,ice and short days) makes it difficult to do all the recommended walking with gear prior to the trip. I've substituded with gym work outs and loosing a pile of weight. I did a few long hikes in the Rockies to break in my boots(blister free) and will try to walk slowly the first few days even though my natural walking speed is typically fast.

If you have any advice I'd be glad to hear from you...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Paul,

it's a pleasure to see that so many on the forum, you included, are using the recommended procedures to get in shape and select their gear. You will find that as long as you're not stuck with a "got to finish" date that's possibly unrealistic considering your physical condition and pack size...you'll do fine!

If already managed to do a 30km walk with gear and didn't spill a drop of wine while making my way to the top of Mt Rogers in VA. That, as they say, is progress!

Buen Camino,

Arn

Paul

Welcome and best wishes on your preparations. I think that some physical preparation is a good thing...but it is also eseential not to walk to far for too long for the first few stages. Fitness and stamina will soon come and you can build up distance as time goes by. It isn't a race!

Far more important in my experience is to keep your pack weight down to a minimum - I wouldn't consider walking with any more than approximately 7k - even in winter. In summer that goes down and I still feel I carry too much.

Pack weight is critical in long distance walking. Be prepared to empty your rucksack of non essential items in the same way as your head will empty of the cares of the world as you step forward.

Buen Camino

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I thought I'd add my $.02.

Pack weight. There are lots of ultralight backpacking sites on the web that you should check out! According to our bathroom scale, my daughter and I did SJPP to Santiago in 2006 at 11 lbs gear weight before adding water. 11 lbs or 5 kg base weight is easy, below that you have to spend real money or DIY. It's easier though to lose pack weight rather than body weight, but not cheaper. Key is an ultralight backpack; ours weighed 17 oz which is heavy by 2008 standards.

Besides boots, good socks are important. A friend suggested double layer socks. He did the 7 day, 250 km Sahara race a few months after we did the camino. I used WrightSock double-layer coolmesh crew socks and they worked great. Like having the sock liner built into the sock.

Speaking of boots - my feet swelled 1 size while walking and according to my long distance runner friends this is quite common when you are going day after day. So make sure you have room to grow so to speak.

And oh yes, I would do it again, I'm starting to plan/plot my next camino.

Arn: Just out of curiosity, what part of VA are you from? We live in Northern VA.

Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back