Beginning my journey...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Redhead, You could walk from Sahagun in 20 days, or perhaps better Leon, both readily accessible by train from Madrid. Leon is a beautiful city, you will be able to pick up a Credencial from the Albergue or the Cathedral and in your time frame should reach Santiago with time to enjoy the city and make an easy return to Madrid.

Unless you are very fit and a very experienced walker start slowly!

Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Arn

Veteran Member
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
Redhead,
Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2014.
I trust you have been researching the Forum and planned accordingly.
However the Camino leads...you can expect an experience like no other. We look forward to you keeping us in the loop.

Oh, BTW...three days is plenty of time to remove everything from your pack and removing anything you think you "Might" need. The Camino is NOT wilderness camping.
The last night before you leave...repack again. This time REALLY taking anything out you think you might need.
I and the rest of the Forum, I am sure, would be interested in the specific "might need" items you are wise enough to remove.
In my case, I removed a corkscrew.
Buen Camino,
Arn

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2011
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Hi Redhead
Assuming that you walk at a fairly average speed you could end up with a week left over if you start in Leon. And you'd completely miss the Meseta!
Starting in Burgos is possible with average 25kms walks each day. However, that wouldn't allow much flexibility for injury, rest days etc.
The solution might be to start in Burgos but get a bus or train between Sahagun and Leon. This would give you the best of the Meseta in addition to the beautiful walk from Leon to Santiago.
Alternatively, start at Leon as planned, and after Santiago continue to Finisterre, do the Camino Ingles, or the last 100kms of a different route.
Loads of options. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.