• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best place (or places) to have a day's rest on the Norte?

TsafiK

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hi,
We're walking the Camino in August, there's still a long time till then, but hey, planning is part of the fun, isn't it?
We have six weeks including everything and we plan to start from Irun. We thought of stopping on the way two or three times for more than one night, both to rest and to enjoy interesting places. In which cities/villages would you choose to stay in such a case? What were the places you said to yourself: "I wish I could stay here for another day" or "I will definitely come back here"?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you're foodies San Sebastian and Bilbao for the Guggenheim, agree with Tincatinker, Llanes great for a chill out and Oviedo great too, I went off onto the Primitivo so I can't say for the rest of the Norte.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My personal favourite on the whole Camino was Avilés. I would recommend looking online at the many towns along the way and seeing from the Tourist Information Offices etc. which places appeal most to your particular interests. If you are keen on art, for example, Bilbao is a great place - but not the only one. And some smaller beachside villages are wonderful if you want only a day of resting and relaxing. I found that every town had it sites of special interest: Santillana del Mar, Comillas, Llanes... the list of fascinating places goes on and on! Buen Camino!

Hi,
We're walking the Camino in August, there's still a long time till then, but hey, planning is part of the fun, isn't it?
We have six weeks including everything and we plan to start from Irun. We thought of stopping on the way two or three times for more than one night, both to rest and to enjoy interesting places. In which cities/villages would you choose to stay in such a case? What were the places you said to yourself: "I wish I could stay here for another day" or "I will definitely come back here"?
Pensión Casa Miguel, El Pez Escorpión, El Gato Gordo, La Villa Argentina, el Langre Wayve House, Boogalow Hostel, Ermita 1883
Check on booking for location and info.

Bilbao, sure. Santillana del Mar is touristy quaint but with the Museo Altamira nearby a half day at least stop here is a must. We were in Laredo for a medieval festival in September. Took us way back in time. When my wife got the norovirus I spent 3 days wandering around Ribadeo and loved it. So many delightful SMALL towns along the coast. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I enjoyed extra time in Ribadesella with a side tour to the Tito Bustillo caves to see the prehistoric cave art. Santillana del Mar has Altamira (prehistoric cave museum)but it's a replica, not the original deal as in Ribadesella. Also enjoyed Ribadeo with a side trip to As Cátedras. Guernica with a side trip to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe.

Depends on your wants/needs. I decided not to do a rest day on the Norte unless I needed it - I did need it in Oviedo as I switched to the Primitivo. Before the Primitivo there are lots of big cities, but I preferred the smaller seaside villages myself. San Sebastian is nice as far as the big cities go - but I recommend seeing what inspires you as you w alk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back