• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route for first time walker?

crazuzu

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino Portugues (?) El Camino del Norte (?) El Camino Via de Plata (?)
Hi everyone!

I plan on walking El Camino once I graduate high school, as a way to kind of kick off the journey to adulthood. I know I still have time to think about and plan all of the details, but I'm one of those people who almost enjoy planning the trip as much as actually going.

I will be graduating in late May, and I'm hoping to get an early orientation date in June so that I can walk in July and maybe early August.

Anyways, I was wondering what your suggestions would be regarding which route to take. I know El Camino Frances is the most walked and clearly marked, but I can't really imagine myself walking with so many other people all at once. I've kind of been looking El Camino del Norte, since I would maybe be able to visit family along the way, and El Camino Portugues. The Silver Route has also crossed my mind, though I realize it is one of the longer paths.

What do you suggest? Travel one of those or go ahead and travel El Camino Frances instead?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HI Crazuzu, I can't give you advice since I'll be doing mine next year. Earlier I was planning to do the Camino Ingles but saw recent posting about Camino Norte. I really like to walk more of a country side so this route interest me. I can only spare 6 days of walking so I'm planning to only do the 100km which will entitle me for a certificate. I still have months to plan and I'll be interested to follow what people would say about Camino Norte in this thread.

Good luck on your camino. Take care.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are many alternatives to the Camino Frances, and most of them will be much less traveled. You can learn a lot about these other routes by browsing around here on the forum. We followed several on our last trip in 2012, and will be exploring a few more on this year's pilgrimage (which begins in one week). Details in the blog linked below.

Buen camino.

Dan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friend and I are currently walking the Camino Frances and while there are certainly many other pilgrims walking we feel very much that we can choose to walk alone - which we do. We are staying I hotels so that makes it easier but the business of the pilgrims isn't off putting or even something I would have thought of. We particularly enjoy having the choice to chat with others and hear their stories if we choose too. The feeling of camaraderie has been one of the most enjoyable aspects of our journey so far :)
Good luck to you!!

Hi!

Many people would recommend the Frances as a good first Camino. It's not just the waymarking (which is good on many other routes), but the numerous options of places to stay and therefore distances to walk each day. On other routes such as the Silver you may have to walk up to 30kms, like it or not. While the end of the Camino Frances will be busy in July/August, the early-middle part may not be as busy as you think. Many long-distance pilgs avoid high summer so spring and autumn are busier.

You should have enough companionship should you want it on whatever route you choose at that time of year. Do think about your level of Spanish if going to an area less accustomed to foreign pilgrims, and if you plan to walk alone a lot. Also how flexible you can be between albergues/hostals.

Enjoy your research! I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever route you choose. Buen Camino!

I walked the Norte as my first camino and loved it. If you have family to visit along the way this will give you the chance to see them and to rest if you need it, wash clothes, etc. The norte is different from the frances, but it is a lovely route and walking it would be a great way to mark the transition from high school student to adulthood. Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It depends on what your level of comfort is with things unknown or unplanned. If you speak Spanish or French well and know how to navigate public transportation then they are all pretty user friendly. If you are absolutely terrified of venturing out into the (not so big anymore) scary world, the perhaps stick with the Frances. Either way it's going to be great!

We have never walked the Francés but part of the Norte (from Santander) and then the Primitivo. It depends on where your family are whether you would want to consider that option, or walk the Norte right through.

Thank you all so much for the advice! I speak Spanish fluently, so I'm not too worried about speaking with the locals. I still have some time to decide, so I'll do some more research and see what happens! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.