• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Best time to purchase airline tickets?

Tiffany4412

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2016
Planning on going in Aug. 2016. General rule for purchasing tickets in advance? Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Was on the news not so long ago. Buy on tuesday(night), never on fri-sat-sun.

100% right? No idea, but worth comparing it, i would think...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I normally fly on Monday or Tuesday from the US to España. I always fly into Madrid,because it is easy access to anywhere in country via train,bus , or aero plane. The difference in price for other days of the week are around $500 bucko's. My normal route is via Seattle and Amsterdam onto Madrid. If you are on the east coast you will use either JFK or ATL as your outbound exit flight. Minneapolis is another choice as well depending on air line. My preference is delta and KLM. I just purchased my ticket for this April and it was around $1400 for a Tuesday flight. Other days were around $1800. Just my two cents worth,hope it helps .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would just point out that the airline market in Europe (described in the Guardian article) might be quite different from the situation for transatlantic flights.

Regardless, you're in luck in two regards:
1) Flights globally are cheaper now than in the last several years. There has been a 10% average reduction in global airfares in the last year.
2) If you are coming from the U.S., the dollar is very strong with respect to the Euro in relation to recent history.

Planning on going in Aug. 2016. General rule for purchasing tickets in advance? Thank you!
I was just researching this today. I found several different "studies". For international from US, one study showed 150-225 days in advance, with 171 being the best. A second recommended 1 1/2 to 5 1/2 months. A third was more specific to US to Europe and listed the best as 96 days, which would be consistent with SYates' suggestion. Most studies recommended booking early in the week, with Tuesday's around 3:00 PM Eastern time being optimal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum