• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best travel route from West Australia

Hi.....Am planning to walk the french route from St Jean commencing beginning of Sept and would value comments regarding the best way to get there/return home (Perth, Western Australia). Also, have yet to purchase my footwear/clothing so would also value comments regarding brands available in Australia. Oh....and one last one....would a sleeping bag be needed at that time of year?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
A few thoughts....

Flights: there are plenty of companies that will fly from Perth to Europe. Try http://www.bestflights.com.au or other comparison websites for current deals. Depending on where you are starting your walk from then your point of entry to Europe is likely to be either Heathrow, Amsterdam or Paris (possibly others depending on the airline). All will allow for intra-European connections to places like Madrid, Pamplona, Bayonne/Bairitz via air. You can take connecting trains and buses easily within Spain to your start point. If you are starting in St Jean in France then you may consider flying into Paris, train to Bayonne, Bus/Train to St Jean. There are plenty of posts on this forum that discuss the best ways to get to your start point.

Footwear: This should be your first priority now given the time. I assume you live in Perth or could get there. Go to Paddy Palin, Mountain Designs or the equivalent. The brand matters less than how they fit. Find a sales person who knows what they are talking about and can help find footwear that suits (read fits) you. By the best fitting footware you can afford. Consider both walking shoes and boots. With boots consider breathable fabric with gortex waterproof lining if your budget extends that far. Then buy then as soon a possible and break both the boots and your feet in. If you don't do this then the risk of blisters and a painful Camino increases.

Next work out what you are going to do for socks. I prefer a two pair system (eg coolmax or poly propylene inner sock and a different material outer sock). This is for blister prevention. Read the various posts here on blisters. In short there is no one method that will suit everyone but get to know what works for you and prepare. check out http://www.rei.com for various sock options. If you order soon they should arrive before you go.

Clothing you should be able to get from the same location as your shoes, or also from REI. Train with everything you are going to wear before you leave. You don't want to discover that certain shirts, trousers, underwear etc rubs you raw when you are 5 days into your Camino.

I strongly recommend you consider hiking poles. In my opinion forget a single walking staff and get two (one for each hand) walking poles. Pacer poles have been popular on this forum (just search for them on Google) and they may still be able to send them from the UK to you before you go so you can practice with them. If not then buy normal hiking poles from Paddy Palin etc.

In September you may experience a range of temperatures. Make sure that your clothes allow you to have protection from the sun when it is hot, are breathable and yet are light and cool. Get a wide brim hat. Make sure that you have layers you can put on if it gets cold, windy, wet or all three.

A sleeping bag is required if you are going to stay in Albergue/Refugio accommodation. If you are planning to stay in pre-booked accommodation (eg Hotels / Pensions) with private rooms and beds with linen then it won't be required.

If you do not have your pack yet then get that as soon as possible and train with weight in it.

Approach: you have a few of options:
1. Do it solo with nothing planned or booked ahead.
2. Do it solo but book accommodation ahead etc.
3. Go as part of an organised group.

You will get lots of varying opinions on what you should do however no approach is more legitimate than another. My preference is option 2. I get my accommodation booked in advance, packs transferred for me and my wife each day. I only carry a light daypack. It costs more but if I'm going to spend megabucks to get to Europe I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible. I'm happy to put you on contact with the people that I use to organise this for me. Check your private messages.

Have a great time on the Camino.

Jason

Hi,

I'm in Adelaide and am leaving for SJPP on 16th Sept. I found that the best option for me was Malaysian/KLM to Paris getting there and same airline leaving from Madrid getting home. Most of the other airlines have long stop overs (IE 10+ hours) between connecting flights in some Asian city or Dubai. Using Malaysian/KLM I had to go via Kuala Lumpur and Amsterdam, then Paris (3 flights), but very short waiting times between flights. This was preferable to me. From Paris I'm catching the TGV to Bayonne and then local rail to SJPP. You will have to book the TGV before you leave (using website which is very easy), and I found it more convenient to catch a train from Montparnasse Station than CDG Airport (there are more departure time options from Montparnasse). There is an Air France shuttle bus from CDG to Montparnasse Station which runs regularly during the day. I've booked accommodation in SJPP and Orisson for first 2 nights but will just run with it after that. I'm leaving from Madrid on 28th Oct and have booked a flight from Santiago to Madrid with Ryanair.

Equipment : I bought boots and pack from Macpac who are having massive sales in Oz at the moment. Boots are Scarpa ZG's. I've been wearing them in over the last couple of months, but they really needed very little use before they were very comfortable. Highly recommend the Macpac gear. I bought one of their light weight water proof jackets and love it. I wear it everywhere now.

If you have any other questions just let me know. Might see you over there?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
opentotheuniverse said:
Hi.....Am planning to walk the french route from St Jean commencing beginning of Sept and would value comments regarding the best way to get there/return home (Perth, Western Australia). Also, have yet to purchase my footwear/clothing so would also value comments regarding brands available in Australia. Oh....and one last one....would a sleeping bag be needed at that time of year?

There is no 'one best way' to arrive/depart. It depends on the airline you choose. Most appear to use Paris (CDG) and you can get the train from there to Bayonne and bus or train to SJPP. Some airlines will fly into Madrid, and that might be more convenient overall.

Its also worth seeing what the cost is for an open-jaw ticket rather than a straight return. This will allow you to choose different arrival and departure airports. The alternative is to make arrangements to return to your arrival airport and take advantage of potentially cheaper return flight arrangements. I am doing this on my current trip, and it is saving a few hundred dollars overall not to open-jaw on the one ticket.

The forum has plenty of advice on footwear. Most major brands are available in Australia. Find a good outdoor retailer and discuss this with the staff. You might even be lucky enough to find someone who had done the Camino, but don't expect that. While I am a boots advocate over shoes, for the Camino I think its very much personal preference. If you do choose a boot, my advice would be to find something as light as possible, and with a reasonably compressible sole. There is a lot of road and gravel track on the Frances, and your feet will thank you for that.

There is also plenty of advice on sleeping bags. It depends on the risk you are prepared to tolerate. I walked at the beginning of spring, and took a bag. I would do the same again, but I don't have direct experience of walking in late summer and early autumn.

Regards,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post and the advice given.....I have read so many different threads on so many subjects over the last 6 months that I think I have just overloaded. Probably need to just stand back and take a few deep breaths!

opentotheuniverse said:
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post and the advice given.....I have read so many different threads on so many subjects over the last 6 months that I think I have just overloaded. Probably need to just stand back and take a few deep breaths!
Ha ha! Yep, on this forum we sometimes can turn (what chould be) one of the simplest experiences of your life into rocket science. A change of clothes, a sleeping bag, good boots and backpack and you're ready to go! Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tyrrek.....thanks for your post and you are so very right.......it isn't rocket science......just too many choices to get caught up in if one allows it. So.....am taking a bit of breathing space and will leave my shopping until after this coming Sunday. I stumbled on a post by some Camino Veterans here in WA who are having a get together this Sunday in Fremantle and am going to go along and hear what they have to say....and hopefully, will be confident enough afterwards to finish gearing up.

We flew Perth to Paris on Emirates then took the train to SJPdP then flew Santiago to London with Ryan air (booked very very cheap when we got to santiago - that was in April) then emirates back from London to Perth.

Worked out very well for us. Good luck with your planning

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just a little tip from an Australian walking adict regarding footwear.
Our feet naturally sweel during the day so its best to try boots or shoes in the second half of the day and take the socks you intend to wear with to see how they work together. Good brands often indicate good quality but a good fit is far more important - this also applies to rucksacks-good luck

Thanks Hicliff for your advice.....
My sister and I have decided to move our departure date forward to around 26th August so I am getting a bit anxious now. Very fortunately though both of us have found out about get togethers by other Camino walkers/intending walkers this wkend.....hers in Brisbane was this morning, mine in Perth tomorrow...I can't believe our luck given how few and far between they seem to be!
Anyway, Monday will be shopping day for me and I will make the shoe purchase later in the day re your suggestion...
So now off to try and book accom in SJdPP and Orrison!
Stay safe!

Hi Gerard,
How wonderful of you to recognise (??) me. I spoke with my sister briefly after the meeting this morning. She said everyone was so nice and she gained so much from the discussion....and her excitement level has taken off!! AND.... it seems her hubby also got bitten by the Camino bug post the get together and may now be joining us.....
Stay safe!

I love the Fast trains so will be arriving at Heathrow and taking the Eurostar to Paris (I wanted to go through the Chunnel as it was not built the last time i was in England!
I have booked a TGV from Paris to Bayonne then a local train to SJPP. From there it is all open! No concrete bookings or plans. I have also just loaded a Multi currency passport card with Euro's (Best conversion rate since the Euro began against the Aus Dollar, so that is a locked in rate and a backup to my normal debit card. I bought a Osprey Aether 60 pack after looking at dozens of options. A good trade off between features, weight and comfort. It also opens from the front for easier access. Boots from Snowgum were Assolo's and i have been wearing two pairs of socks. One lightweight and one heavyweight merino. No problems so far and the boots don't take much walking in. I also have a pair of aku walking shoes for Paris and walking around villages at the end of each day. Comfortable, waterproof and very light, to give the feet a rest at the end of the day! I also bought a series of different coloured waterproof sacks, each of which will be packed the same each day, so visually i will always know what is where. I am hoping to use all this stuff again next year to walk across England (Hadrian's Wall) and the 5 day trek from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair in Tassie, so hopefully all the research has paid off:) Good luck

PS. I also found a self inflating pillow from Anaconda, (Black Wolf) 200g, and self inflates when you open the valve and deflates easily. I will also use this on the plane:)

Hi Tyrrek.....thanks for your post and you are so very right.......it isn't rocket science......just too many choices to get caught up in if one allows it. So.....am taking a bit of breathing space and will leave my shopping until after this coming Sunday. I stumbled on a post by some Camino Veterans here in WA who are having a get together this Sunday in Fremantle and am going to go along and hear what they have to say....and hopefully, will be confident enough afterwards to finish gearing up.

Hi opentotheuniverse,,I know this is about 18 months on from this post but I found this while searching for gear information, I plan to go in September next year and was curious to know what footwear you ended up with. Also would you have any info on the Camino veterans here in Perth. cheers pippa.

Hi opentotheuniverse,,I know this is about 18 months on from this post but I found this while searching for gear information, I plan to go in September next year and was curious to know what footwear you ended up with. Also would you have any info on the Camino veterans here in Perth. cheers pippa.
Hi Pippa
The " Camino Veterans", as you call us, have another gathering this Sunday ( Dec 8), at 9am at the Botanical Cafe, next to Frasers at Kings Park. You are very welcome to attend, and will probably meet a few who have recently returned from the Camino. Just look for a noisy crowd in the cafe, and you will find us.

Sandra

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.