• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycle route - the del norte

ruffstuffbob

Hi, this is my first post on this forum . I have just completed a long cycle trip (3,500km) which included both the Francais camino and the del norte. There seems to be a perfectly useful cyclists guide for The Way of St.James by John Higginson, (which I used) but after getting to Finiestere I was on my own with just maps to use. I then cycled back to Santander to catch the ferry to Portsmouth, England. (a wonderfully relaxing way of getting home) I made rough notes of my route , distances, heights climbed, where the Albergues were etc.etc. and wondered if this type of information might be useful for other potential cyclists on the del norte route. If it is, I could put something together which might be of help. It will of course be in english, will be going the opposite way to Santiago and only going as far as Santander. Perhaps I could have some feed back on this and/or if there is a guide book which adequately covers this need. Thanks. Bob. Johnston.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings ruffstuffbob,
I start walking the Del Norte on the 22nd June and any or all info will be very useful. I turn off at Oviedo to walk the Primitivo so info to that point will be great. Did you keep a 'diary' if yes is it going to be shared?
Haste luego Joy

Hi ruffstuffbob,
I'm considering cycling the northern route coming from France. I am slightly concerned about cycling into strong headwinds (I'm not very fit really!). Now I know you cycled in the other direction but any info would be very welcome.
I did cycle the St James route a few years ago and was wondering what was the main difference in terrain between the two routes? Did you prefer one route over the other at all?
Thanks,
Michael

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
I'd be interested in reading what you have. Have you pt anything together?
Hi, this is my first post on this forum . I have just completed a long cycle trip (3,500km) which included both the Francais camino and the del norte. There seems to be a perfectly useful cyclists guide for The Way of St.James by John Higginson, (which I used) but after getting to Finiestere I was on my own with just maps to use. I then cycled back to Santander to catch the ferry to Portsmouth, England. (a wonderfully relaxing way of getting home) I made rough notes of my route , distances, heights climbed, where the Albergues were etc.etc. and wondered if this type of information might be useful for other potential cyclists on the del norte route. If it is, I could put something together which might be of help. It will of course be in english, will be going the opposite way to Santiago and only going as far as Santander. Perhaps I could have some feed back on this and/or if there is a guide book which adequately covers this need. Thanks. Bob. Johnston.

Hi
I'd be interested in reading what you have. Have you pt anything together?
Hi James,

Welcome to the Forum,

FYI, the post you responded to dates back 2011, so the odds of that person still being active on the Forum and responding sooner rather than later are quite low.

I take it you are interested in cycling the Norte. With the search function you might be able to find more recent threads in the topic, or simply by reading theough the Norte subforum and its subtopics.

If you can understandbasic writen Spanish, consider the guidebook by Editorial Buen Camino as it shows on its maps the alternatives for cyclists.

I hope thos helps a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion of Editorial Buen Camino. I'll look for it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.