• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycles - Equipment and packing

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
it’s not always the case you need to hang the bike up or put a cover on it. In 2018 I caught a train from Calatayud to Zaragoza then from there to Barcelona with no issues. BTW I did not book I just showed up at the train station on both occasions.
Michael, is this all your gear? It looks pretty lean.

[Post moved by moderator to start new thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Michael, is this all your gear? It looks pretty lean.
Wow I’m surprised you say that, feels pretty heavy… I don’t camp when in Europe as I’m usually here October - November.
I carry spares and necessary tools in the frame bag. Quilt, cold weather and spare shoes between the handlebars. Wet weather gear in the fork leg bags. Because the weather is warm now I only bring the searpost bag up to my room along with “the money bag” hanging out front.
This trip will take me along Catalan/Ebro to Zaragoza/Gallur and Castellano-Aragonés to Soria where I’ll turn South (Sagunto) to Calatayud to pick the Camino DelCid. This is a brilliant ride so I’d like I to complete the final sections to Valencia and Orihuela.
Here’s my setup this time (not much has changed) still heavy but the bike rides well !!!

Attachments

• 8AA01C87-04C7-44D4-9EAF-BAFE66721824.jpeg
    8AA01C87-04C7-44D4-9EAF-BAFE66721824.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
Wow I’m surprised you say that, feels pretty heavy… I don’t camp when in Europe as I’m usually here October - November.
I carry spares and necessary tools in the frame bag. Quilt, cold weather and spare shoes between the handlebars. Wet weather gear in the fork leg bags. Because the weather is warm now I only bring the searpost bag up to my room along with “the money bag” hanging out front.
This trip will take me along Catalan/Ebro to Zaragoza/Gallur and Castellano-Aragonés to Soria where I’ll turn South (Sagunto) to Calatayud to pick the Camino DelCid. This is a brilliant ride so I’d like I to complete the final sections to Valencia and Orihuela.
Here’s my setup this time (not much has changed) still heavy but the bike rides well !!!
Hi Michael,
I've been closely examining your packing set-up. What makes you different is having no pannier rack, (or panniers, of course) which itself reduces weight, although I don't know what weight would be involved in the seat-post rack itself. How much weight can you load on it?
I too have adopted the idea of dry bags secured to the front fork, for my rain jacket and fleece jacket. I secure them with velcro, one patch glued to the bag itself, then a tightly wrapped-around strip. The same for my tool pack- also very light dry-bag - secured to the diagonal of the frame in the same way. Your dry bag on the back looks very heavy duty. I have started using an Ortlieb lightweight backpack, 25L coming in at 300g. I use the roll-top clasp to secure it to the seat-post, then wrap velcro round the top of my pannier rack.
Thanks for posting the picture. It is always fascinating to see how others tackle the packing.
Here's mine.
Pilgrim shelter between Béziers and Carcassonne (1).jpeg
I notice that I've moved the rain jacket bag to the back, and that's a bottle of chain lube velcroed to the frame. (Once again, I'd glued a patch on to the bottle, so that it can't slip around.). Like you, I also have the goodies bag, easily detatched from the handlebars.
Some people may think "why bother", but a couple of panniers weigh nearly 2 kg empty.
Do you use tubeless tyres? I swear by them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks exciting. Please open a thred and post.

Hi Michael,
I've been closely examining your packing set-up. What makes you different is having no pannier rack, (or panniers, of course) which itself reduces weight, although I don't know what weight would be involved in the seat-post rack itself. How much weight can you load on it?
I too have adopted the idea of dry bags secured to the front fork, for my rain jacket and fleece jacket. I secure them with velcro, one patch glued to the bag itself, then a tightly wrapped-around strip. The same for my tool pack- also very light dry-bag - secured to the diagonal of the frame in the same way. Your dry bag on the back looks very heavy duty. I have started using an Ortlieb lightweight backpack, 25L coming in at 300g. I use the roll-top clasp to secure it to the seat-post, then wrap velcro round the top of my pannier rack.
Thanks for posting the picture. It is always fascinating to see how others tackle the packing.
Here's mine.
View attachment 135080
I notice that I've moved the rain jacket bag to the back, and that's a bottle of chain lube velcroed to the frame. (Once again, I'd glued a patch on to the bottle, so that it can't slip around.). Like you, I also have the goodies bag, easily detatched from the handlebars.
Some people may think "why bother", but a couple of panniers weigh nearly 2 kg empty.
Yes I use tubeless and like you swear by them. In 4K I’ve never had a puncture although I do put 4oz of Stan’s sealant in the tyres when new and add another 2oz after 3 months

Hi Michael,
Here's mine.
View attachment 135080
When I do bike packing in Australia I put racks on as I need to carry camping gear food and extra water

Attachments

• 41213FAD-77E4-45C2-B3E9-668DCF2630D7.jpeg
    41213FAD-77E4-45C2-B3E9-668DCF2630D7.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back