• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycling Camino del Norte in May/June 2024

Gigipete

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello my friends. This is my first post, of I'm sure will be many. My partner and I are planning to cycle the del Norte (our first) as per title. I happened on a thread about the need to get, as a walker, two stamps per day from 100km out and that this is marked. Can anyone tell me where the 200km town marker would be so we can start this task and not miss out on the Compestela.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello my friends. This is my first post, of I'm sure will be many. My partner and I are planning to cycle the del Norte (our first) as per title. I happened on a thread about the need to get, as a walker, two stamps per day from 100km out and that this is marked. Can anyone tell me where the 200km town marker would be so we can start this task and not miss out on the Compestela.
Hi,
I think you would need to start in or near Navia on the coast of Asturias. Not sure how much time you have, but it would probably be easier, in terms of travelling to your starting point, to set off from either Gijon or Avilés, a little further back along the coast.

This travel company suggests the village of Tol, 5 miles before Ribadeo. Would have thought Ribadeo or start at Navia (nice town) to be on the safe side.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is that a bicycle route you share with the walker’s, or is that one on separate roads? Just curious, in case I ever want a bicycle on the Norte.

Hey, hello, welcome to the forum. If you’re planning on biking the Norte where are you planning on biking from? If you’re after the last 200 and a tick box Compostela then Gronze is your friend but somewhere around Ribadeo is the point at which you’ll need to start collecting two stamps a day.

If you’re starting from Irun just show them the scars on your bum and you’ll be sure to get a prize 😉

I cycled this from Santander in 2018 - I found Brierly's guide excellent and aimed for 3 'walking' stages per day. On a number of the stages the 'path' was badly worn or washed away - as mine was a narrow tyre I used the minor roads when necessary and found the Spanish drivers to be excellent in making room. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,
I think you would need to start in or near Navia on the coast of Asturias. Not sure how much time you have, but it would probably be easier, in terms of travelling to your starting point, to set off from either Gijon or Avilés, a little further back along the coast.
Thank you, we have 5-6 weeks so are doing the whole lot from Irun. Hoping to get the bikes on a local train back from our ferry at Bilbao.

Thank you, we have 5-6 weeks so are doing the whole lot from Irun. Hoping to get the bikes on a local train back from our ferry at Bilbao.

If you intend to use the FEVE line from Santiago - A Coruna - Ferrol - Oviedo - Bilbao bare in mind there are only a few trains each day and they are slow. It will be at least 2 days travel with an overnight in Oviedo which is the hub for that area.

Alternatives would be to box the bikes and take the fast train through Madrid. Or use the bus (they will sell you bags) and sit on a coach for xx hours. Or you could post the bikes back to the UK (watch for customs) or box and send to Bilbao taking the fast train through Madrid.

Personally I've recommend taking the FEVE and decompress (literally) on the train back.

On return I took an overnight bus from Santiago to Bilbao. Wrapped my bike in clingfilm, having taken the front wheel off and placed it 'over' the back and it went in with the luggage. A long flog!! And, when I arrived I found out that the ferry port was quite a distance from the bus station - so wheel back on and cycled - first in queue, mind disorientated! But cafe on ferry port had tortilla and bacon buns etc. Worked for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey, hello, welcome to the forum. If you’re planning on biking the Norte where are you planning on biking from? If you’re after the last 200 and a tick box Compostela then Gronze is your friend but somewhere around Ribadeo is the point at which you’ll need to start collecting two stamps a day.

If you’re starting from Irun just show them the scars on your bum and you’ll be sure to get a prize 😉
Hey there. Thank you for your reply. We are indeed starting at Irun. Not sure of the route yet. I've been reading various forums that suggest we an follow a good part of the walkers path but in some cases it might be too narrow or too difficult so we will need to jump onto roads. We definitely want to hug the coast as much as possible and will go off piste to see interestnig places. We are on a site seeing cycle ride to tka ein the magnificent scenery and food along the way, so can't wait!

I biked Irun to Gihon in Sept
I’m happy to share detailed information if you’d like to email me. Tom @ www livealagom .life. I email address is on the homepage in the middle.
Buen bike Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.