• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List for Bicycle

TimCanada

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2010 Leon 2012 Leon 2013 ;SJPP 2018 Porto2024
I have seen many packing lists over the years for pilgrims walking the Camino, and I have walked sections of it 4 times between 2010 and 2018. But this May 2024, I will be bicycling the Camino from Porto. It will be my first time bicycling it. Does anyone have a packing list or suggestions on what to take. Some things (suncreen) are obvious, but I am sure there are items that you have thought of that I have not. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear a hat with flaps (we call it a fishing cap) under my helmet. I also take ‘golf sleeves’ to protect my forearms from the sun. 1 full-zip cycling shirt - easy to wash and very quick dry. I carry a small-size, very snug fleece jacket in a dry-bag which I attatch to the frame with its clip and a velcro strap. Obviously also a rain jacket, and have needed it.
I use a simple combination bike lock. Never had a problem. When I stop I lock it up in my full view.
i have tubeless tyres, so don’t carry tubes or puncture kit. Just a multi-tool and small pump.
If I think of anything else I’ll come back.

Really depends on your style!

Paul above is correct that you can go very barebones. The only things you absolutely need are a bicycle, money, water, clothes to wear and a helmet, and a kit for flat tire or broken chain.

My own style has more luggage: full panniers, toil and labour to get all the luggage up the mountain -- but also a bit more independence. That's a personal preference.

My own packing list for a 20-day bicycle camino:

For the cycling:
  • The bicycle itself
  • 2 sets of panniers (one set front, one set back)
  • Handlebar bag
  • Small frame bag
  • Some straps in case of need
  • Padded cycling short
  • Cycling gloves
  • A water bag and some bottles, for a total of ~4 liters water capacity
  • A thingy to mount my phone on my handlebars, and/or a gps device
  • Lights, if not already on the bicycle
For my body:
  • Long pants, short pants, wearing one
  • 2 shirts, wearing one
  • 2 undershirts, wearing one
  • 2 sets of underwear, wearing one
  • 2 pairs of socks, wearing one
  • Something warm like a sweater or cardigan for cold nights
  • One pair of shoes
  • A towel
  • A hat and/or helmet (helmet is mandatory in Spain with broad exceptions. You can generally get away with not wearing it, but you should visibly bring it with you in case the Guardia spots you)
  • Sunglasses
  • Soap, shampoo, deodorant, sunscreen, toothpaste, tootbrush, comb, razor, possible medication
  • A full first-aid kit
  • One roll of toilet paper
To repair:
  • Bicycle pump
  • A hex/allen key set
  • Tire levers, tire patches, glue
  • The specific size of wrench you might need for the bicycle, if any
  • Spoke wrench, one or two spare spokes
  • Chain tool, one spair chain link
  • Needle and thread
  • Super glue (also for tent and camping gear)
  • As much ducttape and tiewraps as you can fit
  • Chain oil or equivalent
  • Spare brakepads if you have v-brakes
  • Scissors

For camping (Most bicigrinos use albergues, in which case you can ignore these):
  • Tent
  • Sleeping bag
  • Air mattress and pump
  • Inflateable pillow
  • Cooking set and cutlery
  • Camping stove and gas
  • Dish soap and something to wash with
  • Lighter or matches
  • Anything that'll work as a clothes line, and clothespins
For Entertainment:
  • Phone (also for navigation), and charger
  • Headphones
  • Solar panel and powerbanks, mainly for the phone
  • Phone tripod, for pictures
  • A book? A game? Laptop? Something fun
Also not unimportant:
  • Passport or other identification
  • Train/airport/etc tickets
  • Spare key for your bicycle lock
  • Money
  • Your credencial
  • Plenty of space for food
For your consideration (I didn't take these, but might be a good idea):
  • Any kind of rain gear
  • Spare cable for brakes and/or gears
  • Something against bugs, or something against the itch

All in all was about 18 kg
12 kg excluding water and food, 8 kg if you also exclude camping gear.

Fully loaded bicycle looked like this:

Bicycle+gear.JPG

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you intend to carry everything or use one of the luggage transfer companies that operate on the Porto - Santiago route?

If you are carrying your own then how much weight do you usually carry with you? If you are using a hire company, they will have the bike kitted out with a handlebar bag with their tool kit/chain/oil etc. So check what initial weight/items will be issued by the hire company.

As a biking trip goes, Porto to Santiago is a pretty short trek. Even when I road the VDLP, what I carried with me was minimal. I rented a bike in Sevilla so I had a set of rear panniers, a good lock, a bike pump and a spare tube provided by the rental company. In addition, I brought my own bike tools plus a couple extra tubes knowing that they would most likely come in handy for flats and they did. Clothing wise, I needed far less than on the longer Caminos that I have walked. Biking clothes of course, a set of clothes for after getting off the bike for the day, rain gear, a few personal items, and my sleeping bag. All my gear fit easily into my panniers with my sleeping bag bungied on top of my rear rack. As you will be biking in May, you are correct about wanting to have sunscreen and of course sun glasses. But, I’d also bring along a rain jacket just in case. If I remember correctly, each pannier has a 20L capacity which is plenty of space for what you need to get to Santiago.

With all that said, a couple things where most helpful for me to have for a safe and successful Camino: 1) extra tubes for flats, 2) a handlebar bag, 3) a handlebar mount for my iPhone, 4) a portable charger, 5) a bike bell, and 6) flashing front and rear lights. I also lined my panniers with plastic bags in case of inclement weather which I did hit. Although both Portuguese routes are well signed, I like to ride or walk using the Mapy CZ app. With the battery charger in my front bag and plugged into my phone on the handlebar, navigation, particularly in cities, was quite easy. Bom Camino!

I have seen many packing lists over the years for pilgrims walking the Camino, and I have walked sections of it 4 times between 2010 and 2018. But this May 2024, I will be bicycling the Camino from Porto. It will be my first time bicycling it. Does anyone have a packing list or suggestions on what to take. Some things (suncreen) are obvious, but I am sure there are items that you have thought of that I have not. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I got my start in long-distance bicycle touring with what is now known as Cycling UK. It called itself the Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC) back in the 1980s. The other members and tour leaders were great folks and I learned a lot from them.

The website includes a forum for sharing information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i have tubeless tyres, so don’t carry tubes or puncture kit. Just a multi-tool and small pump.
Tubeless is great and I recommend a small amount of in-tyre sealant such as Stans NoTube Sealant or similar.
If the tyre carcass gets a gash some superglue can fix it and is small to carry.

The post from Grousedoctor above is pretty similar to my own experience of the VDLP and The Francis (part). I use two 20 liter waterproof panniers and fluorescent pannier cover and that´s plenty of room for spare clothes, sleeping bag, basic tools and personal stuff. As an experienced walker, my packing list would be pretty much the same just substituting cycling gear for walking gear, spare inner tube and a few tools . A handle bar bag is great for easy to reach stuff like phone and extra sunscreen. Lip protection was essential.

Good luck

While I have not yet been on my Camino, I have mountain biked in remote areas over rugged terrain in different lands. Adding onto others’ excellent suggestions:
  • Tune up your bike before your trip, especially bleed your brakes, replace brake pads, replace ball bearings if needed, maintenance of hydraulic seat post, inspect tires and replace, if worn or too many Stans-filled holes (for tubeless tires)
  • bike shock pump
  • Bike tools not yet mentioned: mini bike chain tool, extra Spare Link(s), mini multitool that includes pliers
  • Spare sunglasses, in case yours gets damaged or lost
  • Clear or yellow sunglass replacement lenses for rainy or cloudy days
  • Electric plug adapters for Type C and F
  • Bring dual voltage (120/220v) electric devices, so that you needn’t buy a power converter
  • Bug spray
  • Small first aid kit (minimalist: Bacitracin and fabric bandages)
  • Velcro One-Wrap, to secure anything that jiggles loose. (I prefer this to duct tape, since the Velcro is reusable.)
  • Fav sports performance drink powder. My fav has often not been available overseas.
  • Fav protein bars, for when you need a boost of energy. (I like to bring my own after buying protein bars in other countries that tasted blech.)
  • For tubeless tires, buy CO2 cartridges in a Porto bike shop, since airlines don’t allow CO2 cartridges on flights; or buy a hand pump specifically designed to quickly fill your tubeless tire(s)
  • Spare derailleur hanger, in case yours gets damaged (airline cargo handlers are quite brutal with luggage)
  • Extra pins for the pedals, if you use flat pedals
  • For SRAM Eagle AXS, bring a spare battery or two and the charger

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back