• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking Options for People Who Mostly Want to Walk?

Mcbarry355

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2024
Hi!

I am really looking forward to my upcoming Camino in March of this year. My sister and I are hoping to complete the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. We are planning to walk but are unfortunately on a bit of a tight schedule - we have 10 days while she’s on her spring break and I will need to return to my job in the hospital. We are trying to come up with a plan for if we fall behind or if we need to take things slower and easier than we are currently planning.

We are wondering if there are places where we might be able to pick up a rental bike for a day or two just in case we lose some time?

Thank you so much, buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are wondering if there are places where we might be able to pick up a rental bike for a day or two just in case we lose some time?
Probably, and Godgle will be your friend but you might find you’re wasting a lot of valuable walking time faffing about hiring and returning bikes. Switching luggage systems ( you definitely don’t want to try cycling with a rucksack on your back). Porto to Santiago is very doable in 10 days walking if you’re reasonably fit, traveling light and up for it. If you are really worried about falling short maybe look at public transport options to give you a flying start out of Porto

Happy planning and Bom Caminho

I agree with @Tincatinker. You don't have a lot of time - don't waste it messing around with bike rentals/returns.

Figure out how far you are able to walk each day, then start close enough to Santiago to get there in the time that you have available. Ponte de Lima would be a good place for 10 days at a pace of 15 km per day that's not too strenuous. If you start from Porto it would be more like 25 km per day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you're short on time or get behind, a bus ride will make up a few stages in a couple of hours.
It's your camino, only you have to be happy with it, don't sweat the small stuff

what Tinker said, plus to others wondering. You would be surprised what is achievable to normal fairly fit individual when time is short. That doesn't mean you have to push too hard. You could send your bags, you could skip a day if needed. These are all possibilities if you were to have an injury anyway

but don't fret about too much. Good luck

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Shortcuts:

1. Porto metro goes all the way to Povoa de Varzim (first 15 miles)

2. At Viana do Castelo you can pick up the railway to Caminha (ferry for the coastal route) or Valenca (Central route)

3. If still on the coastal, Vigo is the next rail option which has a number of stops all the way to Santiago

4. If on the Central route, you cross to Tui and there is a rail line all the way to Santiago merging with the Vigo line at Redondela.

You can take a bike on Porto Metro, CP (Comboios de Portugal) trains and RENFE trains. There are lots of bus options too (which take bikes) but with so many other non-bike options you can walk knowing there are a number of shortcuts available.

Hi!

I am really looking forward to my upcoming Camino in March of this year. My sister and I are hoping to complete the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. We are planning to walk but are unfortunately on a bit of a tight schedule - we have 10 days while she’s on her spring break and I will need to return to my job in the hospital. We are trying to come up with a plan for if we fall behind or if we need to take things slower and easier than we are currently planning.

Thank you so much, buen Camino!
In 2016, Bike Iberia would deliver and pick up a rental bike anywhere in France or Portugal with a day or 2 notice. Drop off was easy; I just left the bike at a hotel in Santiago, and they got it at their convenience . They had 4 or 5 types of bikes. They had 2 sizes of panniers you could rent. I think they were still in business last year

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.