• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Combined biking/walking camino

hikermomma04

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2023
Hi, we're planning for our first Camino and looking at starting in Porto. My companion is worried that he may not be able to do the entire camino walking because of his knees, and therefore we are also looking at biking certain parts or alternating days walking/biking. Has anyone else tried this, and if so how did it work out? I'm looking for any and all advice. We will be renting bikes, so I'm thinking we may need to have them transported to the next leg of our route where we plan to bike. And how does the combined mileage work when trying to qualify for the Camino passport? I know it's 100km walking and 200km for biking, but what about if you do both?
Thanks in advance!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What sort of distance or climb will cause a problem?

If you send luggage ahead how much help will that be?

Reducing weight and distance could mean completing without walking

What sort of distance or climb will cause a problem?

If you send luggage ahead how much help will that be?

Reducing weight and distance could mean completing without walking
We’re definitely planning to send luggage ahead. I think he’s fine to do up to 15k walking a day, as long as there’s no steep downhills. But he also really loves to bike (I love to walk) so we’re trying to combine the two. I Guess the other option is for him to bike a stretch while I walk it, and meet at the end each day 🙂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a good thread on cycling the Portuguese here with some GPS files to check the hill profiles. In short, it's not much of a problem especially the first half even if you have to walk the bike a mile or so.

As @trecile states, mixing stages will be complex as you would need to find local taxis to take the bikes to the next section. This may mean breaking them down and rebuilding them as the taxis may not be able to take them assembled.

The rental companies will do one drop / one collection so you could cycle the first part and then walk the last 100km to get the Compostela. Removes the 100km/200km issue

The rental companies will do one drop / one collection so you could cycle the first part and then walk the last 100km to get the Compostela. Removes the 100km/200km issue
That's a good idea. The only other workable solution that I can see is that one bikes while the other walks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just did this on a folding bike I bought on Amazon for $330. It was a Schwinn Loop with 20 in wheels. I was with a walking group and needed to give my feet a break. I chose the folding bike because I could more easily ship it ahead or put it in a taxi trunk or bus if needed.

I also could fold it and bring it in a cafe and hotel. Next time I will take a Brompton bike since they are smaller, lighter, and fold more compactly than the Loop.

I sent my pack ahead most days and strapped a small backpack (in a nylon sack t keep it clean) to the rear rack. I did not "outrun" my group, though I could have doubled or tripled their distance. I just went slow and did side excursions easily. I was able to stop often and take pics and video.

We flew to Porto then took a bus to Valenca, then did the Spiritual Path. A few parts were hard with the bike, but I am sooooo glad I used it. It saved my arthritic feet, for sure!

From Porto, you should have no trouble reaching the 200k "passport" biking requirement. You could check "walking" and your friend could check "biking".

I just did this on a folding bike I bought on Amazon for $330. It was a Schwinn Loop with 20 in wheels. I was with a walking group and needed to give my feet a break. I chose the folding bike because I could more easily ship it ahead or put it in a taxi trunk or bus if needed.

I also could fold it and bring it in a cafe and hotel. Next time I will take a Brompton bike since they are smaller, lighter, and fold more compactly than the Loop.

I sent my pack ahead most days and strapped a small backpack (in a nylon sack t keep it clean) to the rear rack. I did not "outrun" my group, though I could have doubled or tripled their distance. I just went slow and did side excursions easily. I was able to stop often and take pics and video.

We flew to Porto then took a bus to Valenca, then did the Spiritual Path. A few parts were hard with the bike, but I am sooooo glad I used it. It saved my arthritic feet, for sure!

From Porto, you should have no trouble reaching the 200k "passport" biking requirement. You could check "walking" and your friend could check "biking".
Thanks, great input! Also, I see you’re from Asheville. I’m from Chapel Hill. Small world!

Can you say more about riding with walkers and keeping pace (mostly) with them? I'm going with two friends in September but a slow healing ankle injury limits how far I can walk in a day so I'm going to bike while they walk. Our plan is to do the central Portuguese route and the spiritual variant. If you also did the central route, did you need to deviate from the main path at any point? I know the spiritual variant has at least one very long, steep hill. Were any parts impassable with a bike? Thanks so much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My group started in Porto, then took a bus to the Spanish border, spending the first Camino night in Tui. We were on the central Portuguese route until we took the variant.

When we took the spiritual variant, there were some challenges. The hill up to Armenteria is steep and rocky at the end for about a mile.

The downhill the next day was also very challenging, but one of the most beautiful parts of the trip so I don’t regret having to walk my bike for many parts of that day.

It was very tricky and discouraging at times, but it was so beautiful. I’m glad I took the scenic Creekside route. It is called Ruta da Pedra e da Auga in Galician.

You will need to look this up, but I’m pretty sure there was a bike of a path close to the creek that I could’ve taken.

I am 54 years old, with a good bit of mountain biking experience. I was on a small bike with 20 inch wheels, which was a challenge.

If I were to do it again, I would consider a lighter E bike. There are models that weigh about 36 pounds and the extra boost would’ve been nice. 

I’m not sure what rental options you’re going to have. I assume the bikes people typically rent and use are great for the Camiño.

It was nice however to be able to just fold up my Schwinn loop bike and bring it up the stairs to the hotels. But, most places have a bike accommodation area.

I’m happy to field more of your questions.

My group started in Porto, then took a bus to the Spanish border, spending the first Camino night in Tui. We were on the central Portuguese route until we took the variant.

When we took the spiritual variant, there were some challenges. The hill up to Armenteria is steep and rocky at the end for about a mile.

The downhill the next day was also very challenging, but one of the most beautiful parts of the trip so I don’t regret having to walk my bike for many parts of that day.

It was very tricky and discouraging at times, but it was so beautiful. I’m glad I took the scenic Creekside route. It is called Ruta da Pedra e da Auga in Galician.

You will need to look this up, but I’m pretty sure there was a bike of a path close to the creek that I could’ve taken.

I am 54 years old, with a good bit of mountain biking experience. I was on a small bike with 20 inch wheels, which was a challenge.

If I were to do it again, I would consider a lighter E bike. There are models that weigh about 36 pounds and the extra boost would’ve been nice. 

I’m not sure what rental options you’re going to have. I assume the bikes people typically rent and use are great for the Camiño.

It was nice however to be able to just fold up my Schwinn loop bike and bring it up the stairs to the hotels. But, most places have a bike accommodation area.

By the way, it’s important that I let you know that I shipped my pack to the next hotel every day. I probably carried 5 pounds of gear on the bike, including my water for the day.

The trip would’ve been much more difficult if I were caring my 25 pound bag every day.

Renting an E bike would be the way to go if I had to carry all that weight.

Keep in mind that if you’re biking, you need to carry some extra gear like a lock, at least one extra bike tube, a small Wrench kit, etc.

Thanks. So the rest of the central route was fine by bike? No need to find alternative paths at any point?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks. So the rest of the central route was fine by bike? No need to find alternative paths at any point?
There were many steep places where I had to get off he bike and walk. For 100 meters or so.

Otherwise, the only other really tough spot was what seemed to be a really old stone road between
Redondela and Pontevedra, at a place just north of Rabaleira. I probably walked 1k that day, off and on.

Your mileage will vary!

Have you consulted biking guides to the Camino? They should give you the bike routes, and tell you when it veers form the walking routes. I never used one, but I'm pretty sure they are out there.

Thanks, Dave. Great recommendations!

How many days did it take from Tui to Santiago? and how many km did you average each day?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back