Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Pedals for biking

pinamontik

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino in September 2022
My husband and I are biking the Camino Portugal Coastal Route in September. Does anyone have any recommendations on flat pedals vs cleated pedals? We ride road bikes with spd pedals at home. However the bikes we’re renting are mountain bikes and we will be carrying our gear.

Thanks for the help!

A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Grousedoctor

My husband and I are biking the Camino Portugal Coastal Route in September. Does anyone have any recommendations on flat pedals vs cleated pedals? We ride road bikes with spd pedals at home. However the bikes we’re renting are mountain bikes and we will be carrying our gear.

Thanks for the help!
I, too, ride with spd pedals on my road bike at home. However, I prefer flat pedals when riding my mountain bike. When I rode the VDLP, I thus opted for flat pedals on my rented mountain bike and it turned out to be a good choice even on some tough stages. As the biking terrain is not particularly difficult on the Portugués, I’d go with flat pedals. Since you’ll be carrying your gear, as I did, I think flat pedals will serve you very well on that route. Safe travels!

cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020

Thanks for the help!
I cycled the Frances back in 2015 and I opted for flat "bike" shoes. I found them far more comfortable for walking into coffee shops etc and lunch stops. They also doubled as "walk around town shoes" which cut down on extra weight. Hope this helps. Cheers

Barbara

Veteran Member
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Good question. Personally, unless you plan to be on the road all the time I would go for flats. I have single sided clip in pedals on my trike, but although clipping out is just the same, I find clipping in more of a problem as you have to get the right side uppermost. If you do decide on spd go for shoes that you can walk in.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Jimmy Duggan

Lisbon to Santiago (2019 )cycled
I use single sided shimano spd pedals and shimano shoes with recessed cleats , The shoes look casual and are perfect for walking around without the cleats touching floors etc. and plenty of grip , I personally do not have any issues clipping in and out , you do have to roll the pedal sometimes , but I don't even have to look down .

Crosscheck

Portugues '15, '16, & '19
Via Francigena '17
Frances '18
Muxia & Finisterre '18
Tahoe Rim Trail '19
If prefer flats when travelling because I carry less and I am not in a hurry. If you want to ride Porto to SdC in a couple of days then cleats and clipless pedals would be preferred.

Thanks for the help!
Hello, my husband and I are riding the northern route in Sept. We are renting and I requested SPD and a womens saddle and the rental company will change them out for us before arrival. Did you ask the company your renting from? They are all very accommodating.

Grousedoctor

Hello, my husband and I are riding the northern route in Sept. We are renting and I requested SPD and a womens saddle and the rental company will change them out for us before arrival. Did you ask the company your renting from? They are all very accommodating.
What bike rental company are you using? I’m familiar with BikeIberia. Are there others folks can recommend checking into?

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Skinnybiker

The Skinny Biker in Spain
Norte, Frances, Primitivo May 2022
By bike
SPD vs Flats - at the extremes SPDs are for road riders and Flats for downhill riders with a huge grey area between these two extremes so it normally comes down to personal preference when riding gravel / XC / trail. Use SPDs if you don't want your shoes sliding off the pedals on rocky descents, for better road / uphill grip and if you're riding long distances without dismounting (like roadies do). Use flats for better security, comfort, if you're on / off the bike often and because you only require one pair of shoes on tour. Years ago I was using SPD on tours and for XC / trail riding but now use flats because the shoes are more comfortable and a good pair of flat pedals with pins combined with good shoes just works better all round (IMO).

PS I also now eschew Lycra and the MAMIL look because I am no longer MA so maybe this is just an old farts / bikers opinion?

Most read last week in this forum

I am new to the forum so I hope I will find a way to see the answers to this post. I will be walking from Astorga to Saria in October and plan to be in Saria on October 17th where my husband would...

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon