• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blankets

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

At this point, I'm thinking of only taking a sleeping bag liner. Will this suffice? I'm hoping blankets will be made available at every gite I stay at.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again,
Sonia
:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Sonia,

I only take a liner when I'm walking in France. Blankets have always been provided.

Not long before you go now. All the best with your final preparations.

On rare occasions you may find a hostel / Albergue that doesn't have blankets, In general the blankets are heavy and a coarse scratchy itchy wool:(

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks guys! It's good to hear blankets are in abundance on this route, even if they are itchy. :lol:

Julie, I only have 7.5 weeks to go! Wow, I can't believe how quickly time is passing. A few nerves are starting to settle in, but overall, I'm excited for the adventure ahead. I'm hoping to attend one of the pilgrim gatherings before I head off. :)

Thanks again,
Sonia

TravellingSonn said:
Thanks guys! It's good to hear blankets are in abundance

Many Albergue won't put blankets on the beds, if you don't see them ask, sometimes they are hidden in a storage room etc.

Ask for a manta I think it as pronounced "munta"

Good luck for your start in 71/2 weeks , I haven't started counting my time to go in weeks as yet, 1st June , I'm still deciding sleeping bag or no sleeping bag it is only 850 gram but it all adds up :) the silk liner is definitely going, my most loved item for 2 1/2 caminos, I bought it at Leon on my first Camino and posted my sleeping bag to Germany, postage cost almost as much as the bag:(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sonia,
I used only the silk liner on last year's Camino Frances May/June and was happy to avoid the weight of the sleeping bag. Plan to do the same this year starting in Le Puy May 19th or 20th

Blankets (and mattress covers) were provided in every gite I slept in, in France; this includes the gites municipal. In the hotels and chambre d'hotes, clean sheets were also provided (a blissful luxery).

Sonia, if you are taking a poncho, remember, you can always put that over you to keep off the chill. I used my Altus several times last spring.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Silk liner for sure but if I can find a light weight down cover, I may take it as well

Silk liner is all I needed even though it was more than chilly at times, sometimes even that was too hot - but no worries on the Le Puy route - blankets are there for pilgrims who need them. :)

It boils down to a double silk liner or a standard sleeping bag. I hate the feeling of being restricted whilst I sleep and given there's an abundance of blankets along this route, I think I'll be happy sleeping within my double silk liner.

Thanks guys!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
TravellingSonn said:
Julie, I only have 7.5 weeks to go! Wow, I can't believe how quickly time is passing. A few nerves are starting to settle in, but overall, I'm excited for the adventure ahead. I'm hoping to attend one of the pilgrim gatherings before I head off.
A few nerves are a good thing as they serve to keep us on our toes. You are in for such a treat. The Le Puy route is really lovely.

Hope to see you at a meeting. You already know the details but for anyone else who is interested ... the next one is Saturday 6 April at noon and the one after Wednesday 1 May at 7pm for dinner (meet any time after 6pm). Meetings are at the Spanish Club in Liverpool Street, Sydney.

TravellingSonn said:
At this point, I'm thinking of only taking a sleeping bag liner. Will this suffice?

As other have already said, that should be fine.

But your questions reminds me of an amusing incident. I met a couple of French people in Roncesvalles after having met them a week earlier while walking in from Le Puy. The next morning, they asked how I slept at the albergue (the one in Roncesvalles), and I said I slept great! "How did you sleep?" I asked.

"Terribly," he told me. "It was so cold!"

I was a little surprised at this. The temperature felt quite fine by my standards. Then he explained his problem in more detail. After hiking all through France where they always provided sheets and blankets, he didn't have a sleeping bag when he arrived in Roncesvalles. That's why he was so cold--he slept in nothing but the clothes on his back. They didn't realize that the alburgues wouldn't provide them!

Fortunately for him, he was planning to stop in Roncesvalles anyhow--to return this year to continue the rest of the journey to Santiago. "Well," I told him, "you better bring a sleeping bag next year! You'll probably want it!" =)

-- Ryan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back