• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots or trainers?

Amby

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
From what I've read it would appear that trainers are the preferred option for the Via Podiensis. However, I understand that the route passes through rocky terrain on some sections and in this situation I would normally wear relatively lightweight boots for ankle support. I do quite a lot of hill walking on rocky Mediterranean paths in Catalonia, where I live, and always wear boots and use trekking poles. So I'm in something of a quandary and would appreciate any advice on this question.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Definitely boots -
Be prepared for rock strewn tracks and footpaths, the occasional up or downhill scramble and paths which are, after heavy rain, watercourses.

I would regard a trekking pole, too, as pretty much essential, at least as far as Decazeville, and very useful after that.

From what I've read it would appear that trainers are the preferred option for the Via Podiensis. However, I understand that the route passes through rocky terrain on some sections and in this situation I would normally wear relatively lightweight boots for ankle support. I do quite a lot of hill walking on rocky Mediterranean paths in Catalonia, where I live, and always wear boots and use trekking poles. So I'm in something of a quandary and would appreciate any advice on this question.
If you always wear boots and have boots that suit your walking style and gait why would you change?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As mentioned above, a harder soled boots worked better for me than ‘trainers/runners, even trail runners’. Walked from Le Puy to SJPP last year and had to buy hard soled low ankle boots 1/2 way through….a lot of rocky ground. Spectacular Camino, food, people - a joy filled walk…if you have the right shoes! 😊 Poles - for sure. May your walk be splendid.

Rugged / thick-soled shoes or boots [vibram] will serve you well, especially on the rocky and stony sections of which there are plenty. Many people / hikers on the Voie du Puy wear boots, particularly the locals and other Europeans ... but, that said, this past week I have met [french] people wearing 1. hiking sandals and 2. trail runners [Hoka and Salomon with deep, thick soles to cushion impact on rocky surfaces] ... they all seemed happy with their choices. Personally, I wear Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals and have done on the Le Puy route for 5+ years. They suit my feet 😅

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Pilgrims have made a myriad of different footwear options work for them on Camino's.
What might maim one person's feet seemingly works great for others.
There will never be agreement as to the'ultimate'footwear type for long distance walking.
Individual trial and error is requied for footwear and socks. People's feet are as different as finger prints it seems.
Personally for me trail shoes have worked great and I tend to prefer lighter weight options versus heavier options.The less weight of your shoe (for me), the less fatigue as the number of half marathon distance days starts to accumulate stress.
I have had the best luck with some cheap no name options versus established brands. I wear orthotics that also work as stone guards in the shoes.
Personally I would need to be paid alot of money to wear hiking boots of any description for long distance walking involving several weeks of walking.. Been there, done that...too many times.
Single or two day mountain hikes are a different story.
'Wright' brand lined socks have worked great for me, but I stopped looking for other sock options once I tried the Wright brand so I am sure there are others equally good or potentially better.

I wore trail runners with no problems at all.
If you have boots and are used to boots, wear what is comfortable for you.

You might want to consider the time of year when you’re walking.
We walked in May & June a few years ago (BC…) and there were many sections that were *very* muddy. The mud was unavoidable, and we were glad of the greater protection afforded by our boots.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back