• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Bilbao to Pamplona - September

asl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023, Norte (2024)
I have been looking to purchase tickets for a bus from Bilbao to Pamplona on Sept. 13. Clearly doing something wrong as I either get no availability that day or only availability at 4AM. The bus to SJPdP departs Pamplona at 12P, so have to arrive in time to catch it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are not doing anything wrong.
I have just succeeded in paying more than I should for a single ticket to Pamplona next week. No return available.
Two phone calls later:
the first, to the bus station in Pamplona. 'Ah yes, we will stop that service soon. Who is taking over? Cuadrabus. No, sorry, no idea how to contact them.'
The second phone call to Cuadrabus. 'Yes, that is correct, we will take over that service. No, sorry, we don't know anything more.'

You have time for the teething troubles to be sorted.
I am just a bit on edge!
By the way, I chose to struggle through in Spanish, too much trouble to see if the agents spoke English...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are not doing anything wrong.
I have just succeeded in paying more than I should for a single ticket to Pamplona next week. No return available.
Two phone calls later:
the first, to the bus station in Pamplona. 'Ah yes, we will stop that service soon. Who is taking over? Cuadrabus. No, sorry, no idea how to contact them.'
The second phone call to Cuadrabus. 'Yes, that is correct, we will take over that service. No, sorry, we don't know anything more.'

You have time for the teething troubles to be sorted.
I am just a bit on edge!
By the way, I chose to struggle through in Spanish, too much trouble to see if the agents spoke English...

Whoa! Thank you so much for sharing this update. I'll keep an eye out for info from Cuadrabus website. Had I anticipated transport issues from Bilbao, I would have flown into Pamplona.

Glad that you posted, actually. A fair number of people use the service and it serves the native population as well as visitors. By the way, my memory of flying into Pamplona a long time ago was that they have very few flights from anywhere. So, I think there is no need to worry. It is usually a normal service bus, and takes under 2 hours. There are other ways, via San Sebastian, but that makes the trip double the time so I would only resort to that if really in extremis!

Glad that you posted, actually. A fair number of people use the service and it serves the native population as well as visitors. By the way, my memory of flying into Pamplona a long time ago was that they have very few flights from anywhere. So, I think there is no need to worry. It is usually a normal service bus, and takes under 2 hours. There are other ways, via San Sebastian, but that makes the trip double the time so I would only resort to that if really in extremis!
Also looking into taxi / private car service or one-way car rental.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Were you trying with Alsa? There's another company - La Union - that have buses between Bilbao and Pamplona. I'm not sure if you were trying them and/or Alsa and what's being taken over my this Cuadrabus. I live in Bilbao but have never heard of them before!

Some companies also don't sell tickets for buses this far in advance, so that could be an issue as well.

Were you trying with Alsa? There's another company - La Union - that have buses between Bilbao and Pamplona. I'm not sure if you were trying them and/or Alsa and what's being taken over my this Cuadrabus. I live in Bilbao but have never heard of them before!

Some companies also don't sell tickets for buses this far in advance, so that could be an issue as well.
Yes, I was checking both. Alsa had no availability, and La Union just showed the 4AM time. La Union webpage provides that 'occasional' riders can purchase tickets up to 1 month in advance on their site.

Yes, I was checking both. Alsa had no availability, and La Union just showed the 4AM time. La Union webpage provides that 'occasional' riders can purchase tickets up to 1 month in advance on their site.

I've taken this bus several times over the past few years and bought my tickets a week or two in advance; I think most recently, just the day before.

Once it's closer to your travel date, more options should appear on the websites. That's been my experience here with buses - Alsa and the other companies as well!

Happy planning!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pre sales this far in advance are generally not available, also try Budbud for purchasing a ticket.

I used whatever showed up to track tickets - rome2rio, estacion de autobuses Pamplona, Bilbao, La Burundesa, Alsa, budbus (I got the seat to Pamplona on their site), omio.
My scout in Pamplona tells me she saw online that there is a bus leaving Pamplona for Bilbao, run by Cuadrabus, on the date I need, at the time I need. Even if smack bang in the middle of San Fermines!
Another friend will go there today to see if she can get me a ticket.
What others on the ground say is true - it is a bit early to be looking for a ticket this far ahead as per the OP. I will check out the situation next week and report back. I expect that the service will be operating perfectly. 😇
Anyone reading this thread, if you want to go to Pamplona by public transport around the San Fermin dates - do your homework and find a ticket.

Hi, from memory you need to wait until about 4 weeks b4 you go as that is when they publish timetable.
We used Alsa from Logrono to Bilbao last September all good

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I flew into Bilbao and caught the bus to Pamplona from the Bus Station. (March )
This was in 2019 and naively, it never occurred to me to buy the ticket in advance.

I have noticed that since Covid, more and more people are prebooking their transport
and accommodation.

Update from Pamplona: La Burundesa will cease the service at end of business on 3rd July. Cuadrabus will begin the service on 4th July.
That is what my friend was told in the bus station in Pamplona yesterday.
No option to get tickets yet, from Cuadrabus. It will happen though.

Update from Pamplona: La Burundesa will cease the service at end of business on 3rd July. Cuadrabus will begin the service on 4th July.
That is what my friend was told in the bus station in Pamplona yesterday.
No option to get tickets yet, from Cuadrabus. It will happen though.
Thanks so much for the update! And please thank your friend in Pamplona.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another update - it says in the paper (therefore it must be true 😁) that indeed the new bus service is due to begin next week. Cuadrabus, I have no further details, but here is a link to the article my friend just sent me.
In the hope that I succeed, I will update after securing my ticket back to Bilbao.

I have a bus ticket for my return trip to Bilbao on Tuesday. Half the price paid to get from Bilbao to Pamplona - €9.05. Let's see how it works out...

I have a bus ticket for my return trip to Bilbao on Tuesday. Half the price paid to get from Bilbao to Pamplona - €9.05. Let's see how it works out...
Thanks for the update. I've been checking the CuadraBus website. It looks like they are accepting new booking through Aug. 31.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cuadrabus: spotless, air conditioned, left in time, arrived in one hour 50 minutes. €9.05 single, a lady told me her return was €14.00 In Intermodal, you can either find the desk for Bizkaiabus and pay the three euro and get a paper ticket, or just go down to gate 27 and pay on board either with cash or card. From the airport, you must get the ticket before getting on the bus. The little kiosk is just inside the hall before exiting to join the queue for the bus. The bus takes around 20 minutes, and runs around every 20 minutes. All the best. By the way, new boards in Pamplona bus station make it very easy to see which stand the bus leaves from. I saw that the bus to Roncesvalles was going out at 10, for anyone interested...

Last edited:
The Cuadrabus September schedule for Bilbao to Pamplona is now online. Bought tickets for 13th, and depending on timing will catch the Noon bus from Pamplona to SJPdP; if not, will hope to find another pilgrim or 2 to share a cab. It was surprising to see that the driving time shown for a cab was only 15 minute fast than the bus to SJPdP and the bus was making 5 stops.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Cuadrabus September schedule for Bilbao to Pamplona is now online. Bought tickets for 13th, and depending on timing will catch the Noon bus from Pamplona to SJPdP; if not, will hope to find another pilgrim or 2 to share a cab. It was surprising to see that the driving time shown for a cab was only 15 minute fast than the bus to SJPdP and the bus was making 5 stops.
Glad to see you are ticking things off. So long as the bus from Bilbao lets you get to the platform in Pamplona - and the bus station is easier to get around in than Bilbao - after buying your ticket to SJPdP, you will be fine. The road to where you are going from Pamplona is a bit windy and uppy-downy, it is not a race track - except perhaps for lycra cyclists and motorcyclists! 👣👣

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back