• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Pamplona-Roncesvalles

Vigdis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008/2009, Roncesvalles-Burgos Oct. 2012
Last time I was in Pamplona I wanted to take the bus to Puente la Reina. I went to the ticket window at Pamplona bus station telling my errand, but the man there only spoke a lot of words, in Spanish, which I don’t know too much of. “I’ll most likely get it in another window”, I thought, but there were no other ticket windows. I could not find any upstairs either. I went back to the man, but the same happened, no ticket. I tried to find someone speaking English that could help me, without any luck. It ended up with me taking a taxi to Puente la Reina.

This time I am going to take the bus to Roncesvalles from the very same bus station, and I hope the same thing won’t happen again… Are anybody familiar with exactly where I buy the ticket? Did I oversee something the last time I was there?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pamplona bus station has many windows.
I'm not sure where you were, but if you go downstairs, where the shops are, there is also an INFORMATION window and the person there spoke great English when I asked for help. S/he will tell you which bus company goes to Roncevalles.

Not all bus companies go to every destination.
Not all windows are open all times.

You can also ask at what time the window will be open.

I hope this helps?

Well, yes, Annie, many windows, but they were not open when I was there.
There is a information window too? It is 3 years ago since I was there, but I can't remember I saw that.

After your answer my guess is that the window for my busticket must have been closed for the moment.

Yes, this is of great help.
This time I'm gonna find out right :)
Thanks a lot.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Vigdis.
There is a new busstation in Pamplona, underground by the Cituadelapark. There are busroutes on the windows. I was there in october and since I do not speak Spanish I wrote my destination on a piece of paper an and gave it to the man "in the window". He wrote the price on a paper to show me.
When I took the bus to Roncesvalles from the old busstation up in town I paid at the bus. /
Hei Vigdis.
Den nye busstasjonen i Pamplona er mye enklere å forholde seg til enn den gamle hvis det var der du var. Var innom der i høst og fant mange oppslag med bussruter, fant min rute til San Sebastian og fikk billett ved å gi en lapp med sted og tidspunkt. Der var også kiosk, kafe med flere pc med internet. Ved å søke på en turistkontorwebside for Pamplona tror jeg du også kan finne bussrutene.
Randi

Yes, there is an information desk.
The windows are found all around a "cube" and the info desk is one entire side.
You should see it as you walk into the station after coming down the stairs.
If you were sitting in the info person's chair, you would be facing the albergue part of town.

Once you purchase your ticket be sure to stand at the correct boarding zone. It's shaped a bit like a horseshoe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks a lot Annie and Randi :)

Very useful to learn that there is a new busstation.
I see on the easy-to-find-bus route you link to :), Randi, that the only bus is at 6 pm. It says that it starts from Jaurrieta-Pamplona, do you know if that's the new or the old bustation?

Well, anyway, my plane is landing in Pamplona 5.10 p.m, it is 4 km from the airport to Pamplona as far I've found out, so maybe I won't be able to reach the bus after all... I will take a taxi from airport and hope the best. Hopefully I can buy a ticket on the bus, and not have to look for the right ticket window.

- Does anybody know what a taxi Pamplona-Roncesvalles approximately will cost me?

I also know there's a mess in Roncesvalles every evening. The bus will be there at 7.10, if I reach it, - does any of you know when the mess start?

The last time we arrived at Pamplona Airport on the 17.10 flight, we took the local bus to town, asked the driver to let us off at the bus station. We had about 10 mins to spare before the departure of the bus to Roncevalles, but ... the bus to Roncevalles was full!!! If we come again this year, I think that perhaps the best bet is to try for a taxi to town. At least like that you might gain about 20 mins. We then took a taxi to Roncevalles - 55 euros. We looked around for any other Pilgrims hoping to get to Roncevalles that evening, to share the costs, but we didn't see anyone else.
The time of the special Pilgrim's Mass is at 8 p.m., which gives you time to register at the Pilgrim's office, check in at the albergue and walk over to the church. Anne

Hei!
Jaurrieta - Pamplona is the name of the route that goes from Pamplona to Roncesvalles and further to Jaurrieta. In Pamplona from Estacion de Autobus. I do not think the old busstation exists any more.
Pamplona is a very small airport, so luggage come quickly. If you are afraid of not getting a bed in Roncesvalles you could book a room at La Posada. They have a website if you search on http://www.mundicamino.com.
Randi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And if you'd like to stay in Pamplona, I highly recommend the albergue called Paderborn. They DO allow reservations and it's clean, friendly, and within walking distance to the bus station. I walked there twice.

I'm overwhelmed over all the good help I'm getting here... :D

annakappa:
SO useful information you are giving... :) So you reached the bus station with 10 min. to spare even with a local bus... Only too bad the bus was full.
I should be fine if I take a taxi from the airport then. Do you rembember if you could buy the bus ticket on the bus or not?
I'm surprised that the taxi to Roncesvalles was not more expensive, I'm almost positive that I paid around 30 to Puente la Reina in 2008, which is only half the distance. Thanks a lot for your answer :)

Randi:
Knowing the name of the bus route is very useful, I guess it has its name on the window where I will get the bus ticket (I remember ALSA had). It calms me down to hear that luggage comes quickly because of the airports size. Yes, I will book a room in advance, I always do for the first night. Thanks again, Randi :D

Annie:
Thanks for the advise about albergue:D Maybe not for me as I prefer using small pensions, but someone else might read this and get advantage of your tip :)

Vigdis said:
Do you rembember if you could buy the bus ticket on the bus or not
You buy the ticket at the "ticket window" - not on the bus.
By the way, Ranther, when we arrived at Roncevalles (actually ahead of the bus), La Posada was already full! We had stayed there in the past and were disappointed, because we had our 8 hour jet lag plus about 20 hours travelling to sleep off and didn't want to stay in the Albergue that first night. (we were eventually taken to a Casa Rural down the valley and were collected and taken back to Roncevalles the next morning). Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, annakappa, it's good to know what to do; go to the bus or to the ticket window :D

Yesterday I booked a room at La Posada, through the link you gave me, Randi.
Today I get a e-mail with my order, but at the top saying this:
LO SENTIMOS PERO ESTA CERRADO POR VACACIONES EN ESTA FECHA
I think it means they are closed because of holidays... (?)
Well, I just have to find another place to stay.

At what time of the year were you there, annakappa? I mean, full bus and full hotel... must have been terrible for you at the time after a long journey...

I would not think it should be like that early March though :)

Vigdis said:
At what time of the year were you there,
This was mid-week (Tuesday) 15th Sept, therefore mid-month too. La Posada had a group booking that night. Anne

Ok, so that was what had happened, annakappa :)
I guess that can happen, that a group is booking up most of a hotel. Escpecially on weekends, I remember a lot of people was booking in advantage on the last part before Santiago :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back