• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus/Train Timetables Ourense to Salamanca

paulsomers

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct (2013)
I am trying to source information regarding Bus/Train timetables from Ourense to Salamanca, after walking the Camino Primitivo.
Specifically, my wife & I plan to travel from Ourense to Salamanca on Tuesday 22nd September 2015.
If anyone can assist me with this it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul Somers,
Adelaide,
Australia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your best bet is the train from Ourense to Zamora and then a bus. There is almost a shuttle bus service between Zamora and Salamanca, they go about every half hour. There are buses from Ourense to Zamora but only twice a week. The train is the Madrid train, it's a tad slow at the moment but once the new high speed train track is finished it will go very quickly, the track is almost finished but I doubt it will run this year

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
www.dainco.es has daily direct buses from Ourense to Salamanca and that's probably your best bet. On your travel date they just have a bus making that route departing from Ourense at 19:05 and arriving to Salamanca at 23:35

By train, you would need to change trains in Medina del Campo and means a detour. If you are a train fan but want to avoid the detour going changing trains in Medina del Campo, you might consider the option of taking the train from Ourense to Zamora and a bus from Zamora to Salamanca. Take a look at www.renfe.com for train info (make a separate search for each leg because the renfe site isn't good showing -all- the options on routes meaning a change of trains along them. I mean make a search for the leg from Ourense to Medina del Campo and a separate one for the leg from Medina del Campo to Ourense) and at www.zamorasalamanca.es for bus info on the route from Zamora to Salamanca.

P.S.: You might need to wait some time (maybe till early September) to see the train schedule uploaded to the RENFE web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet is the train from Ourense to Zamora and then a bus. There is almost a shuttle bus service between Zamora and Salamanca, they go about every half hour. There are buses from Ourense to Zamora but only twice a week. The train is the Madrid train, it's a tad slow at the moment but once the new high speed train track is finished it will go very quickly, the track is almost finished but I doubt it will run this year
Many thanks for your feedback - it's much appreciated Paul, South Australia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
www.dainco.es has daily direct buses from Ourense to Salamanca and that's probably your best bet. On your travel date they just have a bus making that route departing from Ourense at 19:05 and arriving to Salamanca at 23:35

By train, you would need to change trains in Medina del Campo and means a detour. If you are a train fan but want to avoid the detour going changing trains in Medina del Campo, you might consider the option of taking the train from Ourense to Zamora and a bus from Zamora to Salamanca. Take a look at www.renfe.com for train info (make a separate search for each leg because the renfe site isn't good showing -all- the options on routes meaning a change of trains along them. I mean make a search for the leg from Ourense to Medina del Campo and a separate one for the leg from Medina del Campo to Ourense) and at www.zamorasalamanca.es for bus info on the route from Zamora to Salamanca.

P.S.: You might need to wait some time (maybe till early September) to see the train schedule uploaded to the RENFE web.
Very comprehensive! Thank you for this information

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Great thank you very much!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Otherwise your best bet is to go train from Ourense to Madrid and bus from Madrid to Salamanca.

That's a really big detour. Much bigger than making all the route by train changing trains in Medina del Campo. Making the route all by train changing trains in Medina del Campo is roughly a 100 kms detour while going all the way by train to Madrid and back to Salamanca by bus is a more than 400 kms detour...

P.S.: if the schedule of the direct bus from Ourense to Salamanca suits the OP, that would be a good option to consider.

That's a really big detour. Much bigger than making all the route by train changing trains in Medina del Campo. Making the route all by train changing trains in Medina del Campo is roughly a 100 kms detour while going all the way by train to Madrid and back to Salamanca by bus is a more than 400 kms detour...

P.S.: if the schedule of the direct bus from Ourense to Salamanca suits the OP, that would be a good option to consider.

Yeah its a big detour, however there are several trains from Ourense to Madrid and there is a bus every hour from Madrid to Salamanca. The transfer at Medina del Campo might be more efficient for distance but it might be faster to go by Madrid due to more frequent service.

The transfer at Medina del Campo might be more efficient for distance but it might be faster to go by Madrid due to more frequent service.

No, it isn't. It's roughly 1h 10m. from Medina del Campo to Madrid by train on an Alvia train; more time on the overnight train. And it's roughly 2h. 30m. from Madrid to Salamanca by bus. And you have to transfer from Chamartín station in Madrid to Estación Sur de Autobuses to take the bus...

If we take today's schedule as an example, you'll see it (even) more clearly:

If you take the overnight train from Ourense to Medina del Campo and Madrid, you would arrive to Salamanca at 9:07 a.m. if you change trains in Medina del Campo while if you go to Madrid to take a bus you wouldn't arrive till 11:55 (and that means a tight 28m transfer time in Madrid to go from Chamartín to Estación Sur) or 12:30 p.m.
If you take the 9:51 a.m. Alvia, you would arrive at 15:53 if you change trains in Medina del Campo while you wouldn't arrive till 18:30 if you go to Madrid to take the bus.
If you take the 12:40 p.m. Alvia, you would arrive at 20:25 if you change trains in Medina del Campo while you wouldn't arrive till 21:30 if you go to Madrid to take the bus.
If you take the 16:50 Alvia, you would arrive at 22:36 if you change trains in Medina del Campo while you would arrive to Madrid too late to take a bus the same day.

I don't see any point of going all the way to Madrid to take a bus to Salamanca when the OP can take it in Zamora if he's interested in making a mix of train and bus for the route (or if he just don't want to arrive to Salamanca as late as the direct bus arrives). If the OP is a train fan or has a train pass, to make the route changing trains in Medina del Campo would be his best bet, IMHO.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks for the update. The bus from Ourense to Salamanca leaves fairly late in the day & so I think we will train it from Ourense to Zamora & then bus it from Zamora to Salamanca.
Paul

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back