• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Butler

almhath

Really, the solution to the whole thing?

Need to save weight. Have concerns about finding a bed. Need dry gear if it's been raining, or if sweating a lot. It can be too cold or too hot. Bed bugs. Shower water temperature. Food availability......

I really think the best thing is to just bring Smithers, and have him drive a motorhome along behind you. :roll:

But if you wanted to really do it right, I guess you could get Smithers to walk with you and carry your supplies for you... :D

Almha

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Almhath, I'm surely one of the laziest, slowest and most pampered pilgrims in the history of the Camino...and even I am scandalised!

My advice:
First go to Nepal, the Himalya, and over there, hire a Sherpa... :shock:
(They do exactly what you want for those climbing the Mount Everest, so why not in Spain?)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or a donkey :lol:

Actually this is not far from the truth, I'm training, my partner isn't(& in her sick bed),
well we're going on April 1st; so I guess I'm the fool who'll be carrying 2packs-worth :lol:

So my Camino song might be(very loud) e-ore, e-ore............ :lol: :lol:

Buen Camino :)

Ah bless you!! I'm weeping tears of laughter...having a field day with the mental images this whole little thread presents!! Merci!! Mercy Buckets !!

Back in 2005 when I was planning my first camino, I searched for information about what I could expect. On the web I found a DVD offered by a Southern California couple about their camino experiences. I ordered it and it has been such a source of amusement for me and my friends since! On the DVD the wife states that she has only agreed to do the camino with her husband "If she doesn't have to carry a thing!"..So, he builds a homemade cart and drags and pushes both of their crap all across the camino from Roncevalles to Santiago! She never appears in the DVD in the same outfit twice! It is quite hysterical...but boy does he lose weight! :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It could be useful to have a flag man walking in front of you as they did with early cars. 'Orf the way, chaps, Gentleman coming through!' Especially if you're a cyclist. :lol:

Don't try to tell me that Godescalc, the Bishop of LePuy, and the first documented pilgrim, carried his own pack. He probably had an entire entourage. I think bringing a domestic staff would make for a wonderfully traditional pilgrimage.

I remember fondly on one camino, seeing a young couple - she in teeny-weeny white t-shirt, teeny-weeny white pants, pretty little white shoes with faux jewels on them, fully madeup, and her partner (or was he sherpa?) carrying two large mochillas - one on his back and one on his front. He was not as pretty as she - he was sweating and really struggling. My husband looked at me and said "Look away ..... look away".

It was really funny (and actually shocking to see such a rose among the "thorns") even though we really tried to tell ourselves and each other to consider their arrangement charitably. Who of us knows how and why these arrangements are made? Like all of you, we try to judge no one on the camino - we don't know their stories.......

lynne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Slaves were quite popular in the Bible. It makes me wonder why God changed his mind, and if owning one would make a pilgrimage easier. I think protocol required feeding it, a bit of a bother.

ksam said:
Ah bless you!! I'm weeping tears of laughter...having a field day with the mental images this whole little thread presents!! Merci!! Mercy Buckets !!

& we should not forget we are pretty well catered for already......only carrying a small rucksack with fresh coffee just around the corner & water plenty-full, & a lovely lady with fresh pancakes near the end of the Camino, as long as you promise not to pay for them :?: ...........& then there's a new bed every night :lol: :lol:; We are very spoilt already smithers or no smithers.

Looking forward to April 1st......roll-on 2012 :lol:

Ahh ya gotta laugh, but the original post is not too far off the mark when you consider some of the "organised Trips" or "tours" that do have a van carrying all of their major stuff therefore people only have to carry a very small pack with the essentials. ( ummmmm water ... thats it) and not a lot of it because the van goes ahead and sets up lunch for them. I walked into Uterga (first town after el Perdon) and saw one of these groups having lunch set up for them, THEY EVEN HAD TABLE CLOTHS :)) We had jet to fully organise the whole luch thing (actually we never did get it together) were wandering around with a big bag of almonds and ,,, and ,,, that was about it. I was so happy to find the bar with the giant bocadillos.

But to each his own as long as everyone plays nice and has fun

Have a great walk

Pablo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What? A van with goodies? Carrying supplies?

I feel like Joost in "The Way" exclaiming, "What? Bikes? You mean we can ride bikes?" 8)

Speaking of that............

Here’s an idea. What if we pick some long, parched, shadeless, endless section, flat enough to make you yearn for a little change of pace. Then add the relentless July midday sun and also make it the longest stretch of sharp rocks along the Camino Frances, jagged enough to make you think that the bikers made the smart choice back when the camino left the road. No bars. No village. No end in sight.

Then -- after you have had plenty of time to know that this terrain is never going to change --- let’s add, over on the left, a patch of trees with real shade and the sound of music (classical?). And a guy – not just any guy, a jolly, gentlemanly guy with a British accent -- folding lawn chairs, straw spread on the ground in case the chairs are filled – and, lo, he is serving mugs of hot, fresh coffee. And amazingly, he is the same guy that you had noticed the evening before in the singing albergue in Carrion de los Condes. But that time, before you knew he was an intentional camino angel, you were mentally berating him for having a camper trailer (the very trailer that made the coffee possible) and being in the albergue. (Isn’t that always a lesson of the Camino, we do not know the reasons behind other people’s actions/choices/reactions).

I was thinking the Butler idea was pretty silly until this revitalizing oasis experience from 2007 came to mind.
Nancy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back