• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buy English Maps or Guidebook in Tomar

Oz Reg

Time of past OR future Camino
First Attempt
Hi,

Is it posible to buy the Guidebook in Tomar?
Im also thinking of getting one ordered on the internet and get it delivered here. but Im not sure how long it would take.

What would be the next best option?
Buy it in Lisbon? Or porto?

Abregado

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't forget the CSJ online guides, I think they are pretty good. And not to brag, but I learned this spring that the Brierley guide had a couple of mistakes (like wrong phone numbers for the Hachmeister albergue and wrong info on the Herbon albergue opening dates) while the CSJ guides had the information correct. :) That is of course only because of the helpful pilgrims who constantly send me updates! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thank you.
Yes. I have downloaded all the online guides.

How does the printed guidebook compare with the online guides?
This is my first walk and its a fairly quiet time of the year. So if the directions aren't right or if the arrows are not visible, I might get lost!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I haven't even seen the Brierley guide to the Portugues, but I know many people consider it essential. When I walked from Lisbon, the Brierley guide didn't go as far south as Lisbon, so I couldn't have used it even if I wanted to. If you can get it somehow, delivered to Coimbra or Porto, it might be well worth it for added security. But I was fine without it, and I am a champion at getting lost! Enjoy this lovey camino, Oz Reg! Laurie

I used Brierley's 2013 edition this year. Part of the waymarked route has been changed since this book was published, which is disconcerting, though not a huge problem since the waymarking is generally very good. There may be updates/corrections on the website: I have not looked.

I haven't even seen the Brierley guide to the Portugues, but I know many people consider it essential. When I walked from Lisbon, the Brierley guide didn't go as far south as Lisbon, so I couldn't have used it even if I wanted to. If you can get it somehow, delivered to Coimbra or Porto, it might be well worth it for added security. But I was fine without it, and I am a champion at getting lost! Enjoy this lovey camino, Oz Reg! Laurie

Shall do

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used Brierley's 2013 edition this year. Part of the waymarked route has been changed since this book was published, which is disconcerting, though not a huge problem since the waymarking is generally very good. There may be updates/corrections on the website: I have not looked.
Thanks AJ

The Brierly guide Camino Portuges works good although there a some minor errors in it as Laurie mentions. Take care that you buy the recent update because at some tracks are some changes and detours.but as AJ says no bother because the waymarking is okay.
The CSJ guide as good as well. I used it at my ipad mini during the preps for the next day. The advantage of Brierleys guide is that you have full coloured maps and altitudes so you can see where you are and what you can expect ! And if you get lost, ask a local -in Portugal " onde estou ?" And in Spain " ¿ donde estoy ? (Where am I ?) "And point to your map !
If you still have time buy Brierleys guide on line at f.ex.Amazon.com. Tomar is a small town with as far as I saw regular shopping facilities but as a Dutch proverb says "you never know how a cow catches a hare" :)
A few weeks ago there was a Canadian guy who asked the same question here.
The man and his wife started in Porto . some helpfull forum guys gave advises a.o. Ivar and my good friend Diogo .It ended up that they found a guide ,as I remember in Pedra Furada, three days walking from Porto by coincidence.
Brings me to the point why should a Portugese pilgrim should buy an english written guide ? I think the Portuges Vialusitana pilgrims organisation will have an excellent guide written in Portugese .
So I advise you to buy the Brierley guide on line. Amazon.com delivered mine within 3 days from ordering online.Better than try to win "the lottery " and find one in Portugal.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Just for you information, you can buy John Brierley guide (maps only) at Santarém Hostel - In Santarém 2 stages before Tomar.
Only one left at the moment and it is the updated 2013 edition.
As a new 2015 edition is about to be available, I will only make a new order at that time...

Mario

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just for you information, you can buy John Brierley guide (maps only) at Santarém Hostel - In Santarém 2 stages before Tomar.
Only one left at the moment and it is the updated 2013 edition.
As a new 2015 edition is about to be available, I will only make a new order at that time...

Mario

This is great information, Mario and will go in my file for updates for the online guide from Lisbon to Porto! Do you plan to have the 2015 guide in its entirety or just the maps? Laurie

My first order included both versions but realized that many pilgrims prefer the maps only as it has the fundamental information; Maps, places to sleep, to eat etc...
In general it has the same map information that you find on the main version but smaller and lighter :) also, it is written in English, German, Spanish and Portuguese
The new 2015 edition will be smaller than the actual one, so you can keep it in your pocket.
John confirmed minutes ago that the maps only should be already available and the new 2015 main guide goes to the printers... today!
I have contact his publisher to confirm the availability and order some maps only.
Will let you know when have it in stock
Mario

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update: Also credentials kindly provided by "Via Lusitania" are also available@SantaremHostel as well JB guide (maps only) 2015 edition.
Mario, has the Via Lusitana started making credentials for the Caminho Portugues or did they provide credentials they got in Santiago? I keep telling them they should make a special Caminho credential, but no one ever listens to me. :(

Mario, has the Via Lusitana started making credentials for the Caminho Portugues or did they provide credentials they got in Santiago? I keep telling them they should make a special Caminho credential, but no one ever listens to me. :(

Hi Laurie, the credentials are from Santiago, see attached scan.
I did not realize that any organization could make an Caminho Credential, does it works as "free market" ?
If so, I will start to think on that! not as a real business, just for "fun" and see the smile (relief) of those ones who could not get one in time. Priceless :)
Bom Caminho
Mario
Credencial.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
John Brierley guide (maps only) 2015 edition now in stock@SantaremHostel
What's new:
Revised 4th edition
Smaller (19cm x 12cm)
Map Symbols and Introduction now available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian and French.
Mario

JB.png

What is the price when you send me one Mario ?

Um abraço

Hi Albertino.
I do not have the cheapest price as I order small quantities and also have to support the extra delivery costs to Portugal.
The purpose is to have a guide book and credentials for those that could not find it and have the chance to get it here.
I sell it for 15€ but you (all) can order on-line with 20% discount (€ 9.46) on this site.
Um abraço

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Albertino.
I do not have the cheapest price as I order small quantities and also have to support the extra delivery costs to Portugal.
The purpose is to have a guide book and credentials for those that could not find it and have the chance to get it here.
I sell it for 15€ but you (all) can order on-line with 20% discount (€ 9.46) on this site.
Um abraço
Hola Mario ! Pedí-lo on line Muito obrigado .
Um abraço disso lado

Albertinho

Hola Mario ! Pedí-lo on line Muito obrigado .
Um abraço disso lado

Albertinho

Olá Albertino.
Good to know you have ordered it, sorry about my price. I will have a talk with John Brierley about the guide book price in the "middle" of the caminho. You all should understand that low quantity orders and delivery costs it is an issue that will raise the final price. Again, my main purpose is the availability of a guide book and credentials for those who do not have it. But I like your relief smile when you got one of these :) Will work on get lower prices.
Um abraço deste lado
Bom Caminho
Mario

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back