• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caldas de Reis

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2015 & 2022
Portugues - 2016 & 2024
In september I will walk a part of the Camino Portugues: from Valenca to Santiago. This time not on my own, but as a tourleader of a group with people who will walk for the first time and choose to go together. On sunday, there will be a rest day. That day we will stay in Caldas de Reis. Looking for suggestions what to do or visit there! I passed it last spring, saw a nice park for a picnic, but didn't explore other options. So, any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks, Marleen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Marleen, there is very little to do in Caldas de Reis. I would suggest adjusting your timetable so that your rest day is in Pontevedra; much more to see and do there. Jill

In september I will walk a part of the Camino Portugues: from Valenca to Santiago. This time not on my own, but as a tourleader of a group with people who will walk for the first time and choose to go together. On sunday, there will be a rest day. That day we will stay in Caldas de Reis. Looking for suggestions what to do or visit there! I passed it last spring, saw a nice park for a picnic, but didn't explore other options. So, any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks, Marleen
Soaking in the hot springs would be a pretty good way of spending a day off. The Balneario Acuna hotel at the end of the main bridge has a spa.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks, Marleen
Caldas de Reis is "dichtgeplakt met oude kranten " is a Dutch saying , I bet you know the expression.
You can sit with your feet in a hot water spring . The spa is a good idea
The environs of the Arousa river are nice , Catoira a small place where the vikings have been but that is rather far from Caldas de Reis.
We have been in the area the other day with our car and "sleurhut" especially in the Salnés area more to the west and where the Variante Espiritual do caminho Português goes. Beaches, entertainment etc but a bit far too
The best place to go is to o Grove,a penninsula nearby Sanxenxo but you will need a bus to go there with your group . Regular public transport is very unusual in that area especially on sundays. Keep in mind that lots of Spanish families go out together to have a meal on the sunday afternoon and restaurants can be packed.
Succes en veel plezier
Bom caminho

Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I am not in charge of the planning, I loved pontevedra a lot, so a change would be great, but I don't think it is possible.

If not, the spa is a great suggestion. Is it also possible to swim in the river? I see a kind of lake / part of the river west of Caldas de Reis......

Other questions may follow, love this website!!!!

Marleen

Ps: ben jij nog in Spanje Albertinho? Heel veel moois daar nog gewenst!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unfortunately I am not in charge of the planning

Hi, that’s a shame, because whoever IS in charge of the planning is not doing it very well :oops:.

To quote Brierley :eek: on Pontevedra: “Whatever you do, don’t miss exploring this wonderful city with its many fascinating monuments and historic buildings, many of them directly associated with the pilgrimage.”

However, if all your group are into spa treatments, rather than pilgrim-associated experiences, then they will be perfectly happy :). I stayed at the Hotel Davila, quaintly old-fashioned, on the other side of the bridge from the Hotel Acuna, in March this year. The patrons were all very elderly, and came into breakfast, straight from their spa treatment, in their dressing gowns. I felt I had stepped into an Agatha Christie story from the 1920s :eek:. I am not into spas, and if I had to spend a whole day in Caldas de Reis, without a good book to read, I would be bored stiff.

The main thing is, to find something interesting to do on your day off :rolleyes:. Good luck :D! Jill

Hi Marleen,
The Barossa waterfalls about 6km out of Caldas and just off the Camino Route from Pontevedra were a really nice place. There is a restaurant, although check opening hours and times. Although I didn't do it I believe you can bathe in certain parts (with caution) and there are walks up and alongside the falls. See this thread and directions here. It is an 80 min walk or, given that it is a designated rest day ;), a 7 minute taxi ride.

Hi Marleen, This is an interesting one. I recall walking into Caldas des Reis and thinking what an awful place it was, BUT in the end, it turned out to be one of the best stops on the CP in April/May this year. I stayed with another pilgrim at the Hotel Moderne, basic but clean with a very helpful owner. Then we went to have a drink at the bar on the opposite bank to the spa hotel before going on to eat somewhere else. In the end it seemed that every pilgrim passing through arrived at the same place, and the place had a nice feeling about it, so we didn't move on but ate there - wonderful galician pulpo with potatoes. The locals eating and drinking there were friendly and the bar staff excellent. As you will be there on Sunday, you will - if it is appropriate for members of your party - be able to visit the beautiful church, perhaps attend a Pilgrim's Service, then you can go and have a look at the Roman bridge which, sadly, I only saw in the pouring rain the following morning when leaving the town. Pontevedra is beautiful but Caldas des Reis had a welcoming gentleness about it. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks all of you! I am really looking forward to this new experience (leading 12 people along the camino), leaving this tuesday! So different from walking alone..... I might add some other questions during the walk if needed! You are a great help!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back