• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino angels

dbjordan

Just started my camino from Sjpdp today and was intending to stay in orrison tonight.

A piece of advice...make sure that you're ready physically and stay hydrated.

I had to call a taxi just 900 m from orrison. I'm a little jetlaged and got overheated. Maybe on the verge of heatstroke but certainly heat exhaustion. Thanks to a couple of folks from the Netherlands who I met the night before who saw me and chose to come back down the hill and then stayed with me until the taxi arrived, I got back to Sjpdp where I will get my electrolytes back in shape to try again in a couple of days. (I've still got a headache). Elena was great. She went on to orrison and brought back some salt. Probably saved my camino (and had I continued on, might not be writing this). Stef and I had a great talk in the interim and thankfully allowed time to get a clearer head and diagnose what was happening.

Bottom line. ...I've read it on this forum any number of times. ..listen to what your body is telling you and be open to help.

I've taught many people about the dangers of heat related illness over the years, but failed to recognize it in myself. I guess that's a human trait.

I salute and thank deeply my fellow pilgrims. Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Orisson is only half way up, and there is a killer downhill into Roncesvalles, no place to be fatigued. If you really are listening to your body, you may hear it tell you to go across the river in SJPdP, and take the bus to Pamplona (or Roncesvalles, though that leaves another killer downhill into Zubiri). You will find the route from Pamplona challenging, but not as challenging as the Pyrenees!:)

Unfortunately some people take the Camino lightheartedly. They should think twice. And "listen" to their body when it yells out.

I´m glad you better dbjordon and plan to restart your Camino in a couple of days.:)

The Camino isn´t a race and should be a pleasure.;)

Please keep come back and tell us how it goes.

Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Glad to hear that you are well! Here two tips for others regarding the water/salt balance your body needs:

The color of your urine indicates the hydration of your body needs, the darker your urine, the more water you are lacking.
Always carry a small quantity of salt, if you feel dizzy, lick a bit of it from your finger, as long as it tastes well, you need more salt, when it starts to taste ugly you had enough.
Extra tip: Take care of your blood sugar level, combine fast and slow carbs to keep it balanced.

No rocket science here, just a bit of learning experience until you know what your body needs.

Buen Camino! and I am sure you will make it!, SY

It's all too true. It's hard to gauge how we might react in differing circumstances.

I've had heat stroke & hypothermia, and both when I was at peak fitness. Also done crazy km when unfit - not that's encouraged. It's important to listen to your body but there are a few things you can do to help minimise the chances -

A) Hydrate - in winter it's easier to miss this & we actually dehydrate quicker the, symptoms are different though.

B) Layer appropriately, regulating temperature is tricky, and saps water from the body to compensate for heat & cold differences.

C) Walk with someone! They help us keep aware of signs, tripping up, not drinking etc... They help us know when to take a break! An extra two hours on a trail, eating & resting helps. They also keep us in check psychologically! Remember we can do amazing things if supported! As you've made note. I've also been in the position of taking a load for a drained soul on occasion.

Remember, we can never gauge how we might react, so never discount the turn that takes us on an easier route, as well as what we learn doing the hard yards.

Hope your better and love the way all the more for all it brings.

Beun Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't forget that when doing hard, sustained exercise you can also over-hydrate too and the body starts flushing salt out through the urine which also leads to problems. It's very easy to just tank up on water, just remember that "enough" is better than "plenty".

A good thing to try and do is to picture what a jug would look like if you (yeugh!) collected your sweat and urine over an hour or so. When you start thinking about it you get a good handle on how much water you need.

SY and Consigliere,
From my experience your advice is well given.

Bdjordan - truly hope you are well.

Buen Camino.

Just wanted to thank you all for your concern and to let you know that I spent a couple of nights in SJPDP and am much better. This morning I took a taxi to Roncenvalles and began my camino. I hooked up with many of my camino family and made it to Zubiri today.
Thank you all. Onward.
Besos

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.