• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues -- Coastal Route

Time of past OR future Camino
Want to walk 2wks in May 2016
I am planning to do the coastal route from Porto end of April so I have loads of questions! What are the best books covering the route? How do you g et from Lisbon Airport to Porto? I'm having trouble finding reasonably priced flights from Wales to Lisbon or Porto and then flights back to Wales from Santiago any suggestions?What sort of weather can I expect end of April beginning of May?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Julie,
You must be excited with the planning stage. I travelled from Lisbon to Porto by train - very easy and lovely trip. You may want to spend a few days in Lisbon (and a day-trip to Sintra while you’re there. Porto is also gorgeous and worthy of an extra day or 3!!
As for books, I used the csj (UK) guide although it wasn’t really necessary. The route is very well marked. I’m sure others may have recommendations for you.
The coastal route is lovely although I have not done the entire section from Porto. I actually did a combination, walking all the way to the Spanish border (Valenca) via the central route and then I took a bus (backwards a little) to join the coastal route at Caminha (ferry crossing to A Guarda in Spain). It was a good combination of both the Central and the Coastal and under 2 weeks I believe (sorry, I can’t remember how long I took).
Cheers

Bus schedules can be obtained from here between Lisbon (City) and Porto. You may need to get into Lisbon from the airport as not clear if the bus route calls in at the airport.

You can get the train from Lisbon Oriente to Porto (many trains per day). The rail station can be reached from the airport by short bus, metro or taxi ride.

Train schedules can be obtained from the Portugues National Rail site

Lastly, a search in Google Maps will bring up several options for travel between the two cities.
Google maps search

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With regards flights, I don't think you will be able to get anything direct to Wales (Cardiff Airport?) from Galicia.

Some options to London are :
EasyJet (Santiago - Gatwick)
RyanAir (Santiago - Stansted)
Vueling (A Coruna - Heathrow)

If you are in North Wales then there are direct flights from Madrid to Liverpool with Easyjet, buses and trains connect Santiago to Madrid.

There are also flights from Vigo to Dublin with Ryanair a couple of days per week during the summer, if you don't mind then taking the ferry across the Irish Sea.

skyscanner.net is a good site to look at routes available.

I am planning to do the coastal route from Porto end of April so I have loads of questions! What are the best books covering the route? How do you g et from Lisbon Airport to Porto? I'm having trouble finding reasonably priced flights from Wales to Lisbon or Porto and then flights back to Wales from Santiago any suggestions?What sort of weather can I expect end of April beginning of May?

Hi Julie,
Depending on where you are in Wales, you might want to consider Bristol to Lisbon with Easyjet. Flights are currently 0700-0930, approx £70 with one checked hold bag of up to 15kg.

Buen Camino

Hi Julie,
My husband and I are flying from Dublin to Lisbon and from Lisbon to Porto in July with Ryanair where we hope to make our way to the coast . Our flights from Lisbon to Porto cost €36 in total !
Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Julie,
You must be excited with the planning stage. I travelled from Lisbon to Porto by train - very easy and lovely trip. You may want to spend a few days in Lisbon (and a day-trip to Sintra while you’re there. Porto is also gorgeous and worthy of an extra day or 3!!
As for books, I used the csj (UK) guide although it wasn’t really necessary. The route is very well marked. I’m sure others may have recommendations for you.
The coastal route is lovely although I have not done the entire section from Porto. I actually did a combination, walking all the way to the Spanish border (Valenca) via the central route and then I took a bus (backwards a little) to join the coastal route at Caminha (ferry crossing to A Guarda in Spain). It was a good combination of both the Central and the Coastal and under 2 weeks I believe (sorry, I can’t remember how long I took).
Cheers
You re so right! I am getting quite addicted to planning my trip some posts suggest doing coastal and then joining central - hadn't even thought of that. I wish I had longer than 2weeks but intend to make the most of such precious 'me' time.

Hi Julie,
Depending on where you are in Wales, you might want to consider Bristol to Lisbon with Easyjet. Flights are currently 0700-0930, approx £70 with one checked hold bag of up to 15kg.

Buen Camino
Bristol Airport is the next closest to Cardiff Airport and yes that is a reasonable price. Thankyou. Julie

Hi Julie,
My husband and I are flying from Dublin to Lisbon and from Lisbon to Porto in July with Ryanair where we hope to make our way to the coast . Our flights from Lisbon to Porto cost €36 in total !
Buen camino
Wow that is a great price! I found a flight from Cardiff with 2 changes, Dublin and Madrid so wasn't very helpful.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
With regards flights, I don't think you will be able to get anything direct to Wales (Cardiff Airport?) from Galicia.

Some options to London are :
EasyJet (Santiago - Gatwick)
RyanAir (Santiago - Stansted)
Vueling (A Coruna - Heathrow)

If you are in North Wales then there are direct flights from Madrid to Liverpool with Easyjet, buses and trains connect Santiago to Madrid.

There are also flights from Vigo to Dublin with Ryanair a couple of days per week during the summer, if you don't mind then taking the ferry across the Irish Sea.

skyscanner.net is a good site to look at routes available.
You are quite right Cardiff Airport doesn't have any direct flights it seems getting home from Santiago is going to be a long day!

We would be very interested to know about your plans. There seem to be very little on the route catching the ferry from Caminha. Incidentally that ferry doesn't operate on Mondays. We are walking from Baiona to Santiago in late May. Our sundry medical issues mean we are doing it slowly (10kms per day)

We would be very interested to know about your plans. There seem to be very little on the route catching the ferry from Caminha. Incidentally that ferry doesn't operate on Mondays. We are walking from Baiona to Santiago in late May. Our sundry medical issues mean we are doing it slowly (10kms per day)
If you have the time take your time there is no need to rush! Enjoy your 'relaxing' walk you will see much more. I will let you know how my plans are going I'm in the very early stages at the moment,
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am flying directly from Bristol to Porto next week. £38 with Easyjet. Only 30 minutes by metro into the city centre from there. If you are travelling from south Wales it is probably your simplest option and possibly the cheapest.

Hi Julie
We flew into Lisbon from Manchester as the flight time was very convenient. Then we took the
train up to Porto. From the airport in Lisbon to the train station took us longer than we'd expected.
Give yourself a few hours, unless you like running down station platforms !

Port was great. We had a very cheap hotel right in the centre of town. Having an extra night and day
before we started walking gave us time to unwind.

Bom Caminho

There is no issue with the ferry. Although it does not sail on monday there is a great chance that it does not sail on other days either, it depends on the tide.
But no worry. Ask around for Mario o Pescador, Mario the fisherman. He can put you to the other side of the Minho river in his small boat. You "embark "at the sandy beach . We kept dry feet . It costs 5€ per person and you will cross the river within 5 or 6 minutes.
You can find Mario entering Caminha. There is a harbour and a restaurant. Ask for him and you get in contact.

Alternative is a day detour walking to Vila Nova de Cerveira where is a bridge. From there walk back to A Guarda at the other side of the river. A detour of about 25 kms.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am flying directly from Bristol to Porto next week. £38 with Easyjet. Only 30 minutes by metro into the city centre from there. If you are travelling from south Wales it is probably your simplest option and possibly the cheapest.

Let's hope the rains subside by then or you will wish you were your avatar! Bom Caminho, Laurie

Hi Julie
We flew into Lisbon from Manchester as the flight time was very convenient. Then we took the
train up to Porto. From the airport in Lisbon to the train station took us longer than we'd expected.
Give yourself a few hours, unless you like running down station platforms !

Bom Caminho

Hi, Introibo, Just wondering if perhaps you went from the airport to the in-town Santa Apolonia train station. Because the Oriente train station is very close, surely no more than a 10 minute cab ride. At least when there's no huge amount of traffic. All trains stop at both places, btw.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What days are available Bristol to Porto? What day/time are you flying? How are you getting back? Have a great trip.
Buen Camino

There is no issue with the ferry. Although it does not sail on monday there is a great chance that it does not sail on other days either, it depends on the tide.
But no worry. Ask around for Mario o Pescador, Mario the fisherman. He can put you to the other side of the Minho river in his small boat. You "embark "at the sandy beach . We kept dry feet . It costs 5€ per person and you will cross the river within 5 or 6 minutes.
You can find Mario entering Caminha. There is a harbour and a restaurant. Ask for him and you get in contact.

Alternative is a day detour walking to Vila Nova de Cerveira where is a bridge. From there walk back to A Guarda at the other side of the river. A detour of about 25 kms.
Hi Albertinho

Travelling with Mario o Pescador sounds like fun

At the moment flights are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Looks like the Thursday one is being stopped soon though. I'm flying next Thursday on a 10:10 flight. Returning on a Vueling flight from A Coruna to Heathrow, then National Express bus back to Swansea. That one leaves at 15:40 and getting to A Coruna is pretty quick and cheap from Santiago.

PS. Just had a look on the Easyjet website. Still 3 flights per week Bristol to Porto in April. The time of the flights seems to vary a lot though.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That depends on the weather:) when the ocean is rough :cool:
But it is a nice crossing. I am glad we did it.
Look at my vid. You can see Mario and his boat
Bom caminho
In that case we'd better see what the weather is like on the day and, if it looks iffy, then we can continue on train to Valenca and then bus to A Guarda. I don't suppose you have a mobile number for Mario?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back