• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte - December 2016

Texasguy

And so...we keep on walking ..
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Lebaniego y Vadiniese - October 2022
Fellow Peregrinos,

I have been given an early Christmas present, and would be able to return to Santiago in December.
What I would like to do the most would be the Camino del Norte. I am not scared of the rain or the fog, etc. Actually after the last part of the French way, I would welcome. My intention is to do at least 3 weeks, and probably continue in March.
Has anyone in the forum walked the Camino del Norte in December?
If not el Del Norte, what would you recommend?

Thanks and Buen Camino.

Texas guy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Texas Guy,

This may require a bit of planning ss other than in high season many albergues are closed as this is an area that caters quite a bit to July and August holidayers.

I would take the Eroski guide and find the albergues open in December and look for pensiones as an option for other places you would like to stay. The

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte - Gronze shows alternatives to albergues.

Good luck! Planning is a big part of my Camino fun.

Hello Texas Guy,

This may require a bit of planning ss other than in high season many albergues are closed as this is an area that caters quite a bit to July and August holidayers.

I would take the Eroski guide and find the albergues open in December and look for pensiones as an option for other places you would like to stay. The

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte - Gronze shows alternatives to albergues.

Good luck! Planning is a big part of my Camino fun.
Thank you very much!!!
I have started with the homework!!!

Fellow Peregrinos,

I have been given an early Christmas present, and would be able to return to Santiago in December.
What I would like to do the most would be the Camino del Norte. I am not scared of the rain or the fog, etc. Actually after the last part of the French way, I would welcome. My intention is to do at least 3 weeks, and probably continue in March.
Has anyone in the forum walked the Camino del Norte in December?
If not el Del Norte, what would you recommend?

Thanks and Buen Camino.

Texas guy
Hi Texas guy, we did the Norte in 2015 although not in December. It is the most stunning route ever and just for that reason alone I would do it if I were you. It was wet en cold and miserable in any case so winter would be more or less the same. Maybe some snow but you should be used to that in your home state. Enjoy it tremendously.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Texas guy, we did the Norte in 2015 although not in December. It is the most stunning route ever and just for that reason alone I would do it if I were you. It was wet en cold and miserable in any case so winter would be more or less the same. Maybe some snow but you should be used to that in your home state. Enjoy it tremendously.

I am looking forward to do this.

Thanks for the suuggestion.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy

Greetings from Norway.

Starting from Irun at the very end of this month.....let's make this a good one....christmas celebration in northernly rural spain will bee a memory for life.

We could cross path somewhere.....in any case Buen Camino!

Greetings from Norway.

Starting from Irun at the very end of this month.....let's make this a good one....christmas celebration in northernly rural spain will bee a memory for life.

We could cross path somewhere.....in any case Buen Camino!
Thanks for the note.

It should be a magnificent Holiday Season!!!

Buen Camino, and please let me know who is it going on that wonderful Camino del Norte.

Texas guy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Update.....coming in by Monbus to Irun early fifth of december.

Have you intel of other diehards?

I am arriving the 12 Irun. I know there are a couple of Germans that I met in Santiago last week starting the 1st.

It should be a great trip. I am going to ask those who are ahead of us to send info regarding what to expect.

Good of you.....so you have landed allready.......here......it's lot's of snow....and winter and....I'm longing.

Later...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi-
I'm starting off from Irun on the 8th of December--trying to gather information about where the best overnights are, etc. Cheers and buen Camino!

-Annika

Hi, I have just finished the Norte. It was fabulous! It was very quiet – very few pilgrims; some days we saw none at all. Just in case it helps, the following places were open, and where I stayed in Oct/Nov:

Irun Albergue Capitan Tximista
Pasajes de San Juan Albergue de Peregrinos
San Sebastian A Room In The City
Zarautz Albergue Gran Camping
Deba Albergue de Peregrinos
Markina Albergue Pitis
Gernika Youth Hostel
Zamudio Hotel Artea-Errota
Portugalete Albergue Bide Ona
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar (the municipal albergue was also open, but out of town)
Laredo Albergue Casa Trinidad
Guemes La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto
Santa Cruz Albergue Nimon
Santillana del Mar Hospidaje Santillana
Cobreces Posada Las Mananitas
Comillas Abba Golf Apt
San Vicente Apt Rincon del Puerto
Unquera Hotel Canal
Llanes Youth Hostel
Villahormes Albergue Punta Pestana
San Esteban Albergue de Peregrinos
Colunga Hotel Las Vegas
Villaviciosa Albergue Congreso
Cabuenes Albergue Camping Deva
Aviles Albergue de Peregrinos
Muros Apartment La Flor
Soto de Luina Albergue de Peregrinos
Cadavedo Albergue Covi y Peter
Luarca Albergue Villa de Luarca
Navia Pension Cantabrico
Tol Albergue de Peregrinos
Ribadeo Albergue de Peregrinos
San Xusto Albergue de Peregrinos
Mondonedo Hostal Padornelo
Gontan Albergue de Peregrinos
Vilalba Albergue de Peregrinos
Baamonde Albergue de Peregrinos
Miraz Albergue O'Abrigo
Sobrado Albergue de Peregrinos
Boimorto Albergue de Peregrinos
Pedrouzo Albergue Cruceiro
Santiago PR 25 de Julio

Buen camino!
Jill

Annika and Jill....thx for sharing

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My son, Adam (age 21), is walking this route at the moment. He started his solo trek in Mont St Michel on 20th October and finally hit Spain beginning the Norte 2 days ago. He is in Deba tonight and is loving the change in both scenery and the challenge of the steep bits after the last week of pine forests in France! I was hoping to book him into a nice hotel for Christmas in Bilbao - anyone have any suggestions? Or any idea where Pilgrims hang out at Christmas time?? Thanks

I was hoping to book him into a nice hotel for Christmas in Bilbao - anyone have any suggestions? Or any idea where Pilgrims hang out at Christmas time??

Hi Becki, just a thought, but if Adam has hooked up with others who are walking at the same time, he will probably want to spend Christmas with them. Maybe check with him first before booking something. A nice hotel, but sitting all alone for Christmas dinner, would not be as much fun as a shared dorm and communal supper with new friends. Jill

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.