• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances from León - 16 Sept

JanneVi

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for the first one in September 2017
Hi all,

I finally made up my mind about my Camino route and booked flights to Madrid. I will arrive to Madrid on the afternoon of 15 Sept, will then take a bus to León and start walking from there on the morning of 16 Sept, Saturday.

Does anyone know how frequently there are bus connections from Madrid to León? I hope I can buy the bus ticket on the go and there is no need to buy that in advance. I have not booked any accommodation yet, but will probably book one albergue from León for the first night. Let me know if you have any recommendations where to stay in León.

I am getting really exited about this adventure and all the preparations. Hope to meet many nice like-minded fellows on the road!!!

Cheers,
Janne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Janne,
Wishing you well with your Camino - you'll be walking through some very beautiful places.

If you do a search at www.alsa.es for 15th September you'll see that there are quite a few buses from Madrid Airport (Terminal 4) to Léon. Departure times seem to be 11.15, 13,30, 15.45, 16.54 and 20.45. If you arrive in a different terminal, you can take the free shuttle bus to T4. You can book your ticket online, or just pay at the bus. It's all pretty simple. If these times aren't the best match for your flight, check for departures from Madrid city centre.

The train is faster, but probably a bit more expensive. You can check the train times at www.renfe.com.

The airport website has useful information about transport links.

Booking your first night's accommodation in Léon is definitely a good idea. September is a busy month on the Camino Francés.

¡Buen Camino!
Nuala

Hi Janne,

There's are buses that run from Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 directly to Leon. In the afternoon they depart at 13.30, 15.45, 16.45, 20.45, 21.45 and 23.00. Journey time is from 4.5 hours to 5.25 hours depending on which departure time you chose. Fares range between €25 to €34. Alsa is the main bus operator in Spain, you can get information on www.alsa.es or download their App to your phone....it's very user friendly and you can book your seat in advance should you chose to do so. I'm starting in SJPP on Sept 1st so maybe see you on the way.

Buen Camino,

Gerard.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nuala and Gerard, many thanks for these tips. Great that buses leave directly from the airport, I was prepared to go down to the city first.

I will be arriving to Leon from Madrid by bus at around 20-21hrs on Friday. Any recommendation where (albergio) to stay over for this first night? It should be close to the bus stop, and obviously still open to take quests at that time. Can I normally make the reservation in English?

I am only planning to book this first night, the rest I will take on the go to allow maximum freedom on my journey.

Another option might be to stay at an airport hotel with free shuttle in Madrid and then take the airport bus next morning to Leon!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If after all that travelling you want a comfortable room and en suite shower room I recommend the Hostal San Martin it's a short walk from bus and rail stations and is situated near the Cathedral.

Another option might be to stay at an airport hotel with free shuttle in Madrid and then take the airport bus next morning to Leon!

If after all that travelling you want a comfortable room and en suite shower room I recommend the Hostal San Martin it's a short walk from bus and rail stations and is situated near the Cathedral.

This is another old thread - the OP has not been seen since Oct ;)

But maybe useful for future pilgrims :)

It would be really useful if all these old and similar threads, where the OPs have long gone, be combined into one thread o_O

Jill

Thanks! I find some of these old threads appearing a bit confusing. Obviously the information in some of them is useful at a later stage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back