• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in March

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
We are planning to start on March 10 in Pamplona and I'd like to know more on the following points:
- Is there a reliable list of accommodation that will be open in March? I've read two books and many online forums and have conflicting information. I don't want to use the phone too much but is it best to call ahead each day?
- Weather - I've read allot and we are starting in Pamplona to avoid the risks of the Pyrenees. Any other tips for this time of year?

thanks in advance for contributions

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We also started our Camino in Pamplona last year at the end of March. Most of the albergues were open and the number of pilgrims on the Camino was less than in June/July. It was not crowded at all. It was never necessary to book accommodation in advance and none of the albergues where we stayed were full. One evening we were only 3 people in a 40 bed albegue. I liked it more when the albergues were half full than empty.
If you want to stay at particular albergues then you should book in advance to ensure you are accommodated.

In Pone la Reina an Albergue owner told me that the number of pilgrims passing through in March/April is about 50 compared to 500 during the high season.

The weather was nice and everything was green and we only had one day of rain for 20 minutes. It is not the norm so prepare for rain. It is a good time to do the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My experience is that most of the well established municipal albergues are open year round, but many of the newer privates don't open until after Easter. I'm starting March 1st from Pamplona through the month until Santiago, so will live report to the forum about what's open and new. This is the first time I'm not starting the CF in CJPdP so I feel like I'm cheating a bit by taking a shortcut. However I need to be in Santiago by Easter so I can catch a flight via Madrid to Turkey so I can walk the Lycian Way in April and then onwards to Petra.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new "luxury" albergues/hostels like the Logrono ( Winederful Hostel & Café) and visiting again the Agora Hostel in Estella both of which include breakfast and bed pods with privacy curtains so no flashlights in the eyes at 5:00am!!!.

You'll love March on the camino. Perfect walking temperature and you'll miss the large crowds (until Easter week of course).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My experience is that most of the well established municipal albergues are open year round, but many of the newer privates don't open until after Easter. I'm starting March 1st from Pamplona through the month until Santiago, so will live report to the forum about what's open and new. This is the first time I'm not starting the CF in CJPdP so I feel like I'm cheating a bit by taking a shortcut. However I need to be in Santiago by Easter so I can catch a flight via Madrid to Turkey so I can walk the Lycian Way in April and then onwards to Petra.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new "luxury" albergues/hostels like the Logrono ( Winederful Hostel & Café) and visiting again the Agora Hostel in Estella both of which include breakfast and bed pods with privacy curtains so no flashlights in the eyes at 5:00am!!!.

You'll love March on the camino. Perfect walking temperature and you'll miss the large crowds (until Easter week of course).
thanks, really appreciate the details. Given the "cheating" feeling would you consider going further up to Roncesvalles or not bother? BTW, Petra is aswsome

Start at Roncesvalles if you like , then if it snows you can still stick to the road. Here is a pick of the snow just after Roncesvalles somewhere around the 8th March a few years back.View attachment 39466
I would like to do that. My only challenge is we are coming from Madrid and leave at 1pm so getting to Pamplona about 5pm. Not easy to get to Roncesvalles at that time of night in early March

A Pamplona start is not cheating , this is YOUR Camino. If you do arrive at 1pm it will be ideal - settle in to hostal or albergue ( The Municipal albergue will still issue you a credential for a few €s even if you do not stay there). Have a walk around the historic Old Town , do some last minute shopping , feast on a pilgrim's menu and get a good nights rest. Enjoy Foxy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A Pamplona start is not cheating , this is YOUR Camino. If you do arrive at 1pm it will be ideal - settle in to hostal or albergue ( The Municipal albergue will still issue you a credential for a few €s even if you do not stay there). Have a walk around the historic Old Town , do some last minute shopping , feast on a pilgrim's menu and get a good nights rest. Enjoy Foxy!
thanks. I wish I was arriving at 1pm. I leave Madrid at 1pm and arrive Pamplona 515

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Stay a night or two in Pamplona. Visit the Cathedral and the museum. Get over your jet lag. Then take a bus or taxi to Roncesvalles. When you walk BACK through, you can pass through Pamplona or stop at Trinidad de Arre (wonderful place!) because you'll have already seen Pamplona.

We are planning to start on March 10 in Pamplona and I'd like to know more on the following points:
- Is there a reliable list of accommodation that will be open in March? I've read two books and many online forums and have conflicting information. I don't want to use the phone too much but is it best to call ahead each day?
- Weather - I've read allot and we are starting in Pamplona to avoid the risks of the Pyrenees. Any other tips for this time of year?

thanks in advance for contributions
You can see all albergue open on this website www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will not need to call ahead. March has few pilgrims and possibly lots of mud.
Yup.:cool::D
View media item 2557(It's fantastic, @Thegreyfoxfromoz . So not to be put off; it's a fantastic time of year to walk.)

There is a list of albergues open in the winter here ; it's very useful and kept up to date.
I've walked from St Jean in early March and it was glorious. A lot of people were starting from Roncesvalles, but I wouldn't trade the walk up the Valcarlos valley for anything; it was superb. So you may want to reconsider.

The weather is all over the place, so just be prepared. Take your merino, because it can be cold, especially in the morning. Gloves and a beanie and good rain gear are essential.

Stay a night or two in Pamplona. Visit the Cathedral and the museum. Get over your jet lag. Then take a bus or taxi to Roncesvalles. When you walk BACK through, you can pass through Pamplona or stop at Trinidad de Arre (wonderful place!) because you'll have already seen Pamplona.
All good advice from Annie - the Marist Brothers at Trinidad seem to be open all year round - and they have a walled garden.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back