• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances March 5, 2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (March-April 2018)
Hi! I’m Dale and I live in Birmingham, Alabama. I am in between assignments in my work and will be walking the Camino Frances, leaving St. Jean Pied de Port on March 5th. I am approaching my walk as a spiritual pilgrimage. I would love to connect with any others who are planning to leave about that same time. I’m interested in hearing about your prep and packing list for an early March start. Thanks in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dale, Frank here from just south of you in Pensacola. Starting my second camino from St Jean march 10. Send me a private message with your number and we can talk about equipment, weather ect.

Buen camino! I’m starting beginning of March but on the Camino del Norte. I walked the Frances last March-April.....wonderful weather (rained/snowed 2.5 days TOTAL), just a nice number of fellow pilgrims, no need to reserve accommodation after SJPP. You’ll have to take the SJPP to Valcarlos route, I stayed in the clean and modern municipal Albergue in Valcarlos making for a nice 1st and the 2nd day to Roncevalles walk thru forests. I sent home one of my long sleeve merino wool tops and a fleece jacket as it warmed up really fast. You’ll need at least a spring/summer sleeping bag for first couple of weeks as albergues will be chilly despite blankets provided. Buen camino, I hope to arrive in SDC early April after Easter weekend.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Collette— Thanks for the reply. The info you provided is very helpful. I suspected I was going to have to take the Valcarlos route so early in the year.

I hope your Norte pilgrimage is exactly what you need at this season in your life.
Blessings and Buen Camino!
Dale

Hi! I’m Dale and I live in Birmingham, Alabama. I am in between assignments in my work and will be walking the Camino Frances, leaving St. Jean Pied de Port on March 5th. I am approaching my walk as a spiritual pilgrimage. I would love to connect with any others who are planning to leave about that same time. I’m interested in hearing about your prep and packing list for an early March start. Thanks in advance!
Hi Dale, my wife and I are starting from SJPP on about the 8th March. We are currently training with packs around 7kg and 12kg-including 3 litres water......hot in Australia now. We are doing flat, hills, mountains approx minimum 10kms/day. We have the time and love walking. Just back from a trek in Nepal....Packing list...minimal - 1 change of clothes, gloves, hat, buff, sleepingbag, liner, thongs, footcare, raincoat, poncho, wet weather pants, phone chargers etc, ipod, camelback, sticks, (love our sticks). Have walked a fair bit in Nepal so have a fair idea about the challenge. Although we dont do the distances this will/may require........but have done long hours. We are 52yr Rosie and 57 Greg. Rosie writing. Look forward to maybe catching up.
Bien Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rosie & Greg,
Thanks for sharing your prep and packing. I’m walking 12 km most days and 20 km a few days a week. I’m finalizing my packing list this week but it sounds like your packing plan is very similar to mine. We’re close in age, too, although I haven’t done much trekking in Nepal! I’m envious! Hopefully we’ll cross paths on the Camino. I would love to hear more about your treks.
Bien Camino!
Dale

Hi Dale, Buen Camino!!
I'm planning to start at SJPP on March 13th.
What about the coronavirus? are you taking any special prevention measures?, this is one of my worries before starting

Hi Dale, Buen Camino!!
What about the coronavirus? are you taking any special prevention measures?, this is one of my worries before starting
This post is from a couple years ago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Dale, Buen Camino!!
Hey mate! me and my mate also starting the camino Frances on March 13th :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back