• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances May 8

Caren Abernathy

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2017
My name is Caren and I am planning my first Camino May 8-June 15th. I am hoping this will be plenty of time for a "graceful" and contemplative walk. I will be flying overnight from Atlanta into Madrid (arriving around 8 am) and am hoping it will be an easy task to hop on a bus to Pamplona from the airport. Am I being foolish or is this a possibility? Do I need a reservation? Would like to do as little planning as possible since this is a pilgrimage after all ;) I am hoping to get in contact with Corazon Puro and get a ride to their alburgue from Pamplona for dinner and a good nights sleep before heading into SJPP the following morning...any and all comments and suggesions are welcome. I am excited and perhaps a little nervous...also any suggestions about getting back to Madrid to fly back...I am hoping those answers and arrangements can be made on "the way"
Thanks! Caren

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Caren. Barajas to Pamplona by bus is easy-ish. Current schedules on www.alsa.es show a bus at 10:45 arriving Pamplona 15:35. Be advised ALSA's website is not particularly user friendly - to find departures from Barajas you need to type in 'Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 or it will advise you there is no service. (I love a website with a sense of humour)

I have no experience of Corazon Puro but they have a good reputation on this forum. There are no rules against starting your Camino to Santiago from Pamplona - St Jean de Pied de Port is just a small town in southern France with a very proactive Bureau Tourisme.

Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi (or Hola) Caren, welcome to the forum. I will be starting from St Jean on May first, but I am planning a half day in Pamplona and a rest day in Burgos so you might catch me. Buen Camino.

Hi Caren. Barajas to Pamplona by bus is easy-ish. Current schedules on www.alsa.es show a bus at 10:45 arriving Pamplona 15:35. Be advised ALSA's website is not particularly user friendly - to find departures from Barajas you need to type in 'Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 or it will advise you there is no service. (I love a website with a sense of humour)

I have no experience of Corazon Puro but they have a good reputation on this forum. There are no rules against starting your Camino to Santiago from Pamplona - St Jean de Pied de Port is just a small town in southern France with a very proactive Bureau Tourisme.

Buen camino

Thank you so much for the detailed information...so do I actually need to purchase a bus ticket in advance or do you think it is possible to just find a bus when I arrive in Madrid? I have considered starting in Pamplona as well...the desire to walk across the Pyrennes is just too tempting to me (or maybe I am attracted by the Bureau Tourisme ;) ) BUT I plan to watch the weather closely and plan accordingly.

Be aware that if you stay at Corazon Puro you will not be able to have an early start from St Jean. This suited me fine, because I just walked the 5mi/8km to Orisson , where I had a reservation, the first day. After Istvan dropped those of us off who had spent the night at Corazon Puro we wandered around a bit, got our credentials stamped, and had coffee before I set out around 11 am.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I buy my ticket in line just to know that should my flight arrive a bit late I won't have to stress queuing to buy it. It also allows me to pick a seat: front row to enjoy the views. I have seen others buying them at the airport. Know that this bus comes by the airport bus its point of origin is the city center, so it's not as if 44 people have to get on it at the airport for it to fill up, and fill up it does.

Getting bavk to madrid: bus, train or airplane.

Flights with Ryanair can be a real bargain if you book early. Down side is their departure times: wee hours in the morning or in the evening, too late for many if not all flights to the Americas. They will not allow you to bring walking poles on board. If youmhave some and want to bring them back you will have to,check them in, and pay for that of course.

Bus is super easy. I have taken one around pm to enjoy the day in Santiago amd sleep on the bus. Arrived at one of Madrid's bus stations where I hopped on a cercanias train to the airport. Check www.alsa.es

Train: wanted to try the sleeper train last time but it was not running that day. Now many trains leave from A Coruna, and pass through Santiago without making a stop. Look at the RENFE website.

I buy my ticket in line just to know that should my flight arrive a bit late I won't have to stress queuing to buy it. It also allows me to pick a seat: front row to enjoy the views. I have seen others buying them at the airport. Know that this bus comes by the airport bus its point of origin is the city center, so it's not as if 44 people have to get on it at the airport for it to fill up, and fill up it does.
THANK YOU! This is quite helpful. I didn't know that the bus originated in the city, I just assumed it originated from the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Getting bavk to madrid: bus, train or airplane.

Flights with Ryanair can be a real bargain if you book early. Down side is their departure times: wee hours in the morning or in the evening, too late for many if not all flights to the Americas. They will not allow you to bring walking poles on board. If youmhave some and want to bring them back you will have to,check them in, and pay for that of course.

Bus is super easy. I have taken one around pm to enjoy the day in Santiago amd sleep on the bus. Arrived at one of Madrid's bus stations where I hopped on a cercanias train to the airport. Check www.alsa.es

Train: wanted to try the sleeper train last time but it was not running that day. Now many trains leave from A Coruna, and pass through Santiago without making a stop. Look at the RENFE website.
Do you think it is possible to make a return plan about three weeks into my trip? That way I can see if I have a better idea of when I might end up in Santiago. I hate to have to plan too much...

Do you think it is possible to make a return plan about three weeks into my trip? That way I can see if I have a better idea of when I might end up in Santiago. I hate to have to plan too much...
Yes, absolutely, but flights will be much more expensive, bit it's not as if a 6 hour bus ride will do you in if that's the only option left.

Edit: ooops, I thought we were talking about internal travel back to the airport for an already set date. As CClearly mentions, booking a trans-Atalntic flight with 3 weeks in high season, noooooo.... Unless you have $ to burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think it is possible to make a return plan about three weeks into my trip?
Is this question related to your airline ticket or your bus ticket?

For airline tickets, usually flights from North America are much cheaper if purchased as a round ticket in the first place. (Have you bought yours yet?)

For the bus/train within Spain, I wouldn't book it in advance, but I'd be sure to allow an extra day in Madrid so that any delay in travel can be accommodated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, absolutely, but flights will be much more expensive, bit it's not as if a 6 hour bus ride will do you in if that's the only option left.

Edit: ooops, I thought we were talking about internal travel back to the airport for an already set date. As CClearly mentions, booking a trans-Atalntic flight with 3 weeks in high season, noooooo.... Unless you have $ to burn.
I was talking about getting back to Madrid from Santiago for my return flight. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.