• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - Ponferrada (01/05) any parts to avoid alone?

Dana81

Time of past OR future Camino
1st of May 2016 - from Ponferrada to Santiago
Dear all,
I am starting solo my first Camino from Ponferrada to Santiago on the 1st of May.
Are there any parts on which I should avoid going alone and try to stick to other groups?
Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Dana81. It is highly likely that there will be a fair number of Pilgrims departing Ponferrada on that date, many will have walked from further back. A close female friend completed this route over Holy Week and has not reported any concerns other than snow and mud.

I am not aware of any recent reports of incidents that would give cause for concern. The 'deaf-mute' girls usually operate somewhere on this stretch, they were last reported just outside Sarria, but they are not a threat, merely a nuisance. They are scammers and should be ignored. Some parts of the route to Samos and beyond it to Sarria are on woodland paths between quiet villages. Again I am not aware of any reported incidents and it is a very beautiful walk often beside a delightful river.

General advice from the forum is to walk always with an awareness of your surroundings - save the headphones for the Albergues. Seek to walk with others in sight if you feel uncomfortable or just ask others if you might walk with them. The Caminos are very safe, local people will be watching out for you as much as will your fellow pilgrims.

Buen (safe) Camino

I agree with @Tincatinker, this part of the Camino is very well-traveled and you should have no trouble on your own or finding other pilgrims to walk with if you choose. Stay alert to your surroundings, bring a headlamp or flashlight/torch for earlier hours, and enjoy every minute of it as much as possible. Buen Camino!
Krista

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Dana81. It is highly likely that there will be a fair number of Pilgrims departing Ponferrada on that date, many will have walked from further back. A close female friend completed this route over Holy Week and has not reported any concerns other than snow and mud.

I am not aware of any recent reports of incidents that would give cause for concern. The 'deaf-mute' girls usually operate somewhere on this stretch, they were last reported just outside Sarria, but they are not a threat, merely a nuisance. They are scammers and should be ignored. Some parts of the route to Samos and beyond it to Sarria are on woodland paths between quiet villages. Again I am not aware of any reported incidents and it is a very beautiful walk often beside a delightful river.

General advice from the forum is to walk always with an awareness of your surroundings - save the headphones for the Albergues. Seek to walk with others in sight if you feel uncomfortable or just ask others if you might walk with them. The Caminos are very safe, local people will be watching out for you as much as will your fellow pilgrims.

Buen (safe) Camino
Great, thank you so much!

I agree with @Tincatinker, this part of the Camino is very well-traveled and you should have no trouble on your own or finding other pilgrims to walk with if you choose. Stay alert to your surroundings, bring a headlamp or flashlight/torch for earlier hours, and enjoy every minute of it as much as possible. Buen Camino!
Krista
Thanks!

I decided after my last visit that I would avoid Ponferrada for ever after. Not that it was at all dangerous - just that I have now been there twice and I lost my way both times :) I hope the signposting is better now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I lost my way both times
One pre-dawn departure from Ponferrada, I met a Japanese pilgrim standing dumbfounded. I motioned for him to follow me, and spent the next hour weaving my way through the rabbit warren that is the departure route, all with no visible waymarks. When we walked through the arches of the old school and through its courtyard. He must have thought he had joined Yoda. Visible light appeared at about the church before Columbriados, he thanked me and pressed ahead on his own. I did not have the heart to tell him that I had followed the route five times before! It is easy when you have memorized the route!! (Otherwise, do it in the light so that you can see the yellow arrows.)

Alternative, there are local buses in Ponferrada. I used them to make a bit of tourism and visit some friends; they are modern (the buses, not my friends) and very efficient. A driver told me that they go up to city limits, including part of the way to Cacabelos. I actually see routes to Compostilla, Columbrianos and Fuentes Nuevas, which takes you out of the urban agglomeration.

Dear all,
I am starting solo my first Camino from Ponferrada to Santiago on the 1st of May.
Are there any parts on which I should avoid going alone and try to stick to other groups?
Thanks!
I walked alone in September from Ponferrada and was never worried loved Ponfredda! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back