• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2019

IcEaNa

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to go in Sept/Oct '16
Hi!

I've been wanting to do the Camino Frances for some time but due to ankle injuries these past 2-3 years, it has been put off... However, I think I would be ready to do the full Camino this year between Sept and Oct. Any advice? Weather, albergue recommendations, stops, etc?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!

I've been wanting to do the Camino Frances for some time but due to ankle injuries these past 2-3 years, it has been put off... However, I think I would be ready to do the full Camino this year between Sept and Oct. Any advice? Weather, albergue recommendations, stops, etc?
Hi There from Aussie , I walked 2014 from St Jean to SDC starting October 1 and finished October 31 weather absolutely perfect with only 1 day rain . I think although I have run marathons and very fit at 74 one of the hardest things I've ever done was to walk St Jean to Roncevallous first day ..Buen Camino.

Hi!

Hi
As another ‘about to do my Caminoer’ I understand you have a million questions, fears, doubts etc. Search this forum on any topic and the very experienced people will share their experiences. Start with FAQs and then if you need more info, ask your question.
cheers
Glenda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Frances starting in Pamplona September 20 and arrived Santiago de Compostela on November 02,2017. There was a large festival in both Burgos and Leon as well as a few smaller villages during this time. When I was there I only had three days of rain and the temperature was cool enough for a jacket some mornings. I walked in shorts and a t-shirt most days. I did take a sleeping bag but could have gotten by without it (I was glad I had it but not truly needed). Although the temperature was cool outside at night several Albergues had it so hot inside I could not sleep. There where more people than I thought there would be on the trail but still most times I was walking alone since I walk so slow. I thought it was a great time of year to walk but did miss seeing the crops in the fields as most had already been harvested. It seemed to me everything was still open so that was not an issue.
Have a blast.

Last edited:
Hi!

I plan to start from St Jean on 23rd September. Perhaps we'll meet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am also walking from SJPdP to Santiago starting 12th September. Consider starting with short days and build up as you go. The walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is doable but a hard first day. Consider stopping at Orrison, (but would need to be pre-booked)which is a steep but nice 9k walk. Don't over plan and just go with your own limits.

I am also walking from SJPdP to Santiago starting 12th September. Consider starting with short days and build up as you go. The walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is doable but a hard first day. Consider stopping at Orrison, (but would need to be pre-booked)which is a steep but nice 9k walk. Don't over plan and just go with your own limits.
Thanks for the advice! You mentioned pre-booking for Orrison? Are u referring to the accommodation? Or....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the advice! You mentioned pre-booking for Orrison? Are u referring to the accommodation? Or....

Yes fellow ankle-sufferer. Use Contact on THIS website to prebook Orisson, there is another Orisson website that you will get no response from, it must be old. Jean-Jaque Etchandy, Orisson's manager sent me this link after friending me on FB so that was fortunate. Even tho Orisson is only ~9K into that first day, it is a straight up 9K so do stay here as it's your only chance. It's been emphasized to me to GO EASY at the start so as not to re-flare the ankle.

HOME | Refuge OrissonLocated in the heart of the Basque Country, on the GR65, between Saint Jean Pied de Port and the Bentarte Pass, Orisson is an ideal stopover before reaching the Lepoeder pass. It is the last accommodation before crossing the Pyrénées. Orisson’s position on route towards Roncesvalles provides a w...refuge-orisson.com

Yes. If you don't intend to walk to roncesvalles on your first day walking.

I plan to start from St Jean on 23rd September. Perhaps we'll meet.
Hi James. Starting from SJPdP on 19 September. We are in our mid-sixties from Aussie so will be taking it slow (example- 2 days to get to Roncesvalles and rest days in larger towns). Will keep a look out for you. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi!

I think you should definitely take Lua's advice and book Orrisson if you can. That first 9k is grueling. We threw it in after visiting sites like this last year and thank God we did.

Hi James. Starting from SJPdP on 19 September. We are in our mid-sixties from Aussie so will be taking it slow (example- 2 days to get to Roncesvalles and rest days in larger towns). Will keep a look out for you. Cheers
I too will be taking two days to Roncesvalles, but I may not stay there. I'm attracted to the idea of avoiding the places at each end of the Brierley stages. I'll look out for you, although you'll be a few days ahead at the start and I'm no sprinter!

Hi!

Exactly when we went last year, perfect time. Advice? Get in shape and don’t carry too much weight. Buen Camino Pilgrim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve made the commitment by purchasing plane reservations, so I’ll be departing SJPP on Fri 17 Sept. 2021. What can I expect weather -wise? I’m waffling between a pancho or full rain jacket / pants depending on what to expect in both # of days of rain as well as intensity. Also, will I need a full jacket/parka, or can I use a down vest w/ merino wool long sleeves?

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and advice.

I’ve made the commitment by purchasing plane reservations, so I’ll be departing SJPP on Fri 17 Sept. 2021. What can I expect weather -wise? I’m waffling between a pancho or full rain jacket / pants depending on what to expect in both # of days of rain as well as intensity. Also, will I need a full jacket/parka, or can I use a down vest w/ merino wool long sleeves?

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and advice.
You will probably have better luck creating your own thread in the Equipment Questions subforum. This is an old thread not specific to gear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.