• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles September 2013

wallsuches

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (2013)
My name is Ted Donnelly and with my wife Janis and two friends, Pete and Pat Benning we plan to walk Camino Ingles in early September 2013.

Our current plan is to fly to SDC and take public transport to Ferrol. We intend to walk five days and arrive in Santiago and stay for two nights.

We are wondering about booking with One Foot Abroad ( Follow the Camino).

Any tips from those who have done C.Ingles would be gratefully appreciated especially if they have any feedback on the tour company we are considering.

Ted Donnelly
U.K.

Email
edonnelly4@gmail.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ted!

I walked the Ingles in September last year and enjoyed it. It's good that you're going with friends as it's fairly quiet, but you will come across other pilgrims en route.

I didn't have any difficulty finding accommodation*, so I'm wondering about the added value of booking through a tour company. As it's a relatively short Camino you could do the booking yourselves and probably save a lot of money. Or just turn up without booking. If the worst came to the worst you might have to get a taxi to/from the route to another hotel, but the cost would probably be insignificant in comparison.

If you're flying from the UK you can fly to/from Santiago with Ryanair (Stansted) or La Coruna with Vueling (Heathrow), or a combination of both.

Make sure you download John Walker's guide from the CSJ website.

Buen Camino!
*Edit: What I mean by this is that once I got to a town with a hostal there was no problem getting a room, but you do have to be reasonably clear about where the hostals are so you know where you're aiming for! The Frances is much easier in that respect as there are albergues every 10 kms or so.

I think it's worth considering Tyrrek's option. I too walked it as my first Camino last September. Absolutely no problem with accommodation. Limited choice at Bruma, the albergue and the Meson do Vento nearby. I stayed in the albergue which had plenty of spare room (and enjoyed the hospitalero's company immensely). Elsewhere plenty of choices in Neda, Fene, Pontedueme, Betzanos and Siguero. You can split the long stage to Bruma by booking two nights at Meson do Vento and arranging for the son (Antonio) to collect you from Bar Julia (before "the hill"). He will then return you there the next day. The added advantage is that you can have a short day without the backpack! I haven't stayed there myself but many others give good reports of Meson do Vento. Beware that I think the Bar Julia is rarely open except Sundays (I had timed my walk to be there the Sunday lunchtime (I know my Spain haha), and it and the Bar Vizono on the short detour to the left after the hill were both open. Note that this other bar looked closed but it is worth knocking the door. Both were very welcoming and enjoyable on a long, hard, hot day! Food can be ordered to be delivered to the albergue, but neither I nor the other pilgrim who ordered it actually ate much of it. I think we were both too tired but I don't think it was very appetizing. The long walk out of Ferrol is not particularly enjoyable. If you are staying in Ferrol overnight you may consider walking the town part during the day (without a pack) and then starting from the boundary the next morning. This may well give you alternative walking options. I got my credential from the tourist office as the church was closed but it was just a printed A4 sheet - not a very nice souvenir. Note that there is a long stretch of walking on an unshaded path through the forest on the way to Siguero - take plenty of water!!!.
Buen Caminos
allan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We walked the Ingles last June and I have very fond memories of Antonio and his parents at Meson do Novo. They were gracious, helpful, and made the two nights we spent with them simply a joy! Breaking up the trek with a day without a pack was enjoyable, too... Buen Camino!

Rafter said:
We walked the Ingles last June and I have very fond memories of Antonio and his parents at Meson do Novo.
Meson O Novo is simply a Camino legend. :D Buen Camino!

I spent my first night at Neda when I walked in June 2009.

Agree about accomodation but managed in the albergues nicely. In Bentanoz the tourist office found me a room.

This Camino is a bit hilly but if it is any consolation I managed Ferrol to SdC then A Coruna to SdC with a blocked artery and didn't have a heart attack (thank goodness for the training).

Even in June I experienced a fair amount of rain so make sure you have waterproofs and a poncho would be a good idea.

Have you looked at the narrow guage railway from Bilbao (I think?) Slow but beautiful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.