• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino lite

Danny Ashton

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de santiago (2014)
Hi, I hope you don't mind but I have a question regarding my upcoming camino (or part of it)

I currently live in Spain and am planning on doing the Camino starting on June 14th.
However, I have to return to the UK to start a new job on 24th June . This gives me and my girlfriend barely 2 weeks to do what would be considered the highlights.
I've read some interesting views on which the highlights are (more are welcome) but the main question I have is. Are we still allowed to stay in the Albergues?
Some people might see this as a bit cheeky but we are willing to put in as many miles as possible and seeing as its a shorter time frame and we are both young (and poor) and pretty fit we would be able to cover quite a lot of miles each day.
Can we get a credencial for just certain parts? And will albergues refuse us if we don't have many sellos or only sellos starting from a certain point?
Alternatively, is it possible we can easily find similarly-priced accommodation in non camino hostels etc?

I know it may seem like we're just being cheap, but we really cant afford it any other way, and if we had the time we would definitely be doing the full thing. :(
We'd really love to see this part of the country.

Sorry for the length of this post. Thanks in advance

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for your reply, but we were hoping to cover some different parts of the camino rather than just the last 200km, We have accepted that we wont be able to get our compostela at the end as we wont meet all the criteria really. But we were hoping to mix walking and then maybe a bus trip to a certain area then more walking.

Thanks again though:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have to have walked the day you stay in the Algergues. If you take a train or a bus make sure you get a stamp that morning where ever you get off so it will show that you started there. It's easy to hop around. Doing the last 100 gives you a right to the Compostela and it's a beautiful part of the trail. Most skip the Meseeta which is outstretching and not as up and down, but I loved the vistas. Loved Borgos too. If you train or bus in somewhere you cannot stay in the Albergues. There are many Pensions which are not much more where you may share a bathroom, but have your own twin bed room. Just make sure you get the stamps.

Hi, I hope you don't mind but I have a question regarding my upcoming camino (or part of it)

I currently live in Spain and am planning on doing the Camino starting on June 14th.
However, I have to return to the UK to start a new job on 24th June . This gives me and my girlfriend barely 2 weeks to do what would be considered the highlights.
I've read some interesting views on which the highlights are (more are welcome) but the main question I have is. Are we still allowed to stay in the Albergues?
Some people might see this as a bit cheeky but we are willing to put in as many miles as possible and seeing as its a shorter time frame and we are both young (and poor) and pretty fit we would be able to cover quite a lot of miles each day.
Can we get a credencial for just certain parts? And will albergues refuse us if we don't have many sellos or only sellos starting from a certain point?
Alternatively, is it possible we can easily find similarly-priced accommodation in non camino hostels etc?

I know it may seem like we're just being cheap, but we really cant afford it any other way, and if we had the time we would definitely be doing the full thing. :(
We'd really love to see this part of the country.

Sorry for the length of this post. Thanks in advance
Hi - I agree about starting from Ponferrada. Buses do run on different sections, but I think you will spend more time waiting for buses and zigzaging across northern Spain than walking. The scenery from there out is great, especially from Villafranca del Bierzo to Sarria (take the high route up to the right just across the bridge). Or start from Astorga, a beautiful town, also with great scenery on the Rabanal - Molinaseca section, then shorten the route as time allows. It took me nine days from Ponferrada, another three from Astorga, doing anywhere from 16 - 28 km a day depending on the terrain and my mood. You can get a credencial on the forum from Ivar, so you won't have to worry about picking one up wherever you start. Do that now. And buen camino - Cherry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it's a good idea to start from Leon. 20 km is about right I think. I did longer than that on more than one occasion and feel it contributed to my blisters initially. Buen Camino November_moon

If you have a short time, and want to cover "all the highlights", the answer is simple: go with a bycicle. You can do all Camino Frances in two weeks. This will also solve your possible problem with albergues: "bicigrinos" are welcomed.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.