• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decoding Accommodations on Gronze: Literal Translation Challenges

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I finally figured out at least 1 reason why making sense of accommodations on Gronze is so hard for me! So google translates Gronze to English, yes, but..... it is a literal translation.

For instance Hunto is named by Gronze '"honest"
I have no idea what town is "mocked" but apparently Hotel Burlada is there

Puenta de la R is "Queen's Bridge" in Stage 4 but in Stage 5 it is "Bridge the Queen".​

Stage 6 has a village called "the arches".
Before one arrives at Vianna in Stage 7, one must pass through "tricks".
Between Sotes and Najera is a place called "sucker".
In Stage 9, after Najera comes "crocus" and "plum".
"Snood of the Way" is interesting in Stage 10.
As is "Stove of the Way" in Stage 13.
In "work it" there are several hostels, one called Casa Susi.
"The goose" is in Stage 23.
"Both months" in Stage 26 also has several hostels
Stage 28a has a village by the name of "baldness"

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I finally figured out at least 1 reason why making sense of accommodations on Gronze is so hard for me! So google translates Gronze to English, yes, but..... it is a literal translation.

Puenta de la R is "Queen's Bridge" in Stage 4 but in Stage 5 it is "Bridge the Queen".​

Woop woop! 🤣 ♥️ 👊

Gronze is a wonderful free resourse, and for the most part, gives very accurate and up to date, useful information. It's about the only website I bother with when checking out distances, elevations and accomodation.

Unfortunately though, google translate has it's limitations and will translate the page indiscriminately so it's up to you to do a little cross checking, but it's simple enough:

The accompanying map and profile of the stages aren't translated, so a little detective work can be used and comparing them against the text will help you figure it out. Otherwise, you might try to just open it in Spanish. The information is basic enough and the format doesn't change so you should soon get used to it..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, despite the progress that machine translation has made in something like 25 years now it still produces funny results, in particular for the names of people and towns; especially software like Google Translate that is cheap namely free to the user and not very sophisticated when it comes to learning/expanding its context-based vocabulary database to avoid previous blunders in future.

Software/apps are tools and the smarter the user the better the result. :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I speak Spanish, so I don’t use the English translation. But now I’m curious how they translate the word “mojón”!! (The signpost things … but this word can also mean 💩) *giggling*
By “they” you probably mean the automatic translation that is built into your browser?

In my case the browser is Safari. I picked the first appearance that turned up in a search for mojón on Gronze.com. Here is the result:
Mojón kilómetro cero, Cabo Finisterre gets translated as:​
Zero-kilometer cairn, Cape Finisterre

Meaningful translation requires an understanding of context and modern translation apps are programmed to deal with this and are already pretty powerful for this purpose. DeepL.com is significantly better at this than Google Translate, btw. I don’t know what Safari uses. “Real” professional translation systems handle this even better of course as they have much larger memory databanks that are constantly updated.

I know you are starting your first camino this fall and like all of us we have alot of questions, doubts and fears. Trust me once you begin and in a few days they will all melt away. As someone else suggested look at Gronze in Spanish and then when you want to check out a particular albergue you can then translate to English but everything is really straightforward and easy. Gronze is an excellent resource and have no worries and go with the flow.
My motto is think less and do more and you will see everything will be just fine. Remember you will probably rarely be alone going in September. You will not have to look very far to find someone to help.
Also an FYI Casa Susi is a wonderful place to stay. Buen Camino

I think the best is translating "al loro" down near the bottom as "to the parrot." Which of course is literal. It means pay attention, or things to watch out for.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @MARSKA
I only use gronze on my iPhone. When I highlight a piece of text there is a translate option which is pretty good. Sometimes the pronouns or tenses get a bit mixed but generally it’s very clear.
Even in the best translations the meaning can be changed or even lost. Such is the nature of languages. A bit of intuition is needed - and don’t take all of the translation literally.
Buen Camino ❤️

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back