• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid etapa's and accommodations

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I will be leaving Madrid on March 31st and walking either the Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo or the Madrid/Frances/Invierno. I know very little about the Camino Madrid. Therefore, if you have the time and are willing to share your experience, I would appreciate any input on your etapa's and favorite accommodations. I do not really plan my days but find it useful to have information on stops I will pass through.

Thanks,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Joe, I know you're not a big fan of guidebooks, but the forum guide, done by Johnnie Walker, is really more of a compilation of the experiences of many of us. I think you'll find it helpful. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-de-madrid.51/

Kinky has a nice report, which I've made a "sticky" https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/.

My Camino de Madrid was a couple of years earlier, but I don't know that a whole lot has changed.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-leisurely-stages-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/

For me the absolute best thing about the Camino de Madrid is that there is so little asphalt. Infrastructure is great, and though the only real "destination city" on the route is Segovia, that's worth the price of admission all by itself, IMO. I also took a detour to Valladolid to visit the sculpture museum in a beautiful plateresque monastery. There are a few pretty amazing castles, Coca, Manzanares are the two that I think are definitely worth a visit. Medina de Rioseco and Vilallon (two of the end stages before Sahagun) are quite nice towns for a few hours walking around. I think you'll love this camino.

I know you like to hit the ground running, so if you arrive in the am in Barajas, you could take a Cercanias to Chamartin train station and from there you are about a half hour's walk from the first arrow at the Plaza de Castilla. Tres Cantos is about 18-20 flat and easy km and there is an albergue there.

Or, if you are going to go to the Church of Santiago for credential/stamp/blessing, it's in Old Madrid, so Cercanias to Sol and then it's about an 8 km walk from the church to the arrow at Plaza de Castilla, through downtown Madrid. I did that on my arrival day, then slept in Madrid and started walking from Plaza Castilla the next day to Colmenar el Viejo.

Happy to answer any specific questions, there are quite a few Camino de Madrid alumni who have been there in the relatively recent past. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie:

I do like to hit the ground running. My flight arrives at 7:40 am and if I get to the Church of Santiago early enough, I might get to mass, stamp and a blessing before heading out :). Is the way marked from the Church to the Plaza?

Starting at the church will make it a 28 km day. A little more than I like to walk the first day off the plane but I assume this is all flat walking. Therefore, a nice stroll.

Thanks for all the information. Still hoping we might connect prior to my leaving.

Joe

Laurie:

I do like to hit the ground running. My flight arrives at 7:40 am and if I get to the Church of Santiago early enough, I might get to mass, stamp and a blessing before heading out :). Is the way marked from the Church to the Plaza?

Starting at the church will make it a 28 km day. A little more than I like to walk the first day off the plane but I assume this is all flat walking. Therefore, a nice stroll.

Thanks for all the information. Still hoping we might connect prior to my leaving.

Joe

Hi, Joe,
I don't think there is a marked route from the Church, but I know Madrid well and can suggest a route. I'm not sure that the Church opens before 11 or 12, though. But yes, the route is very flat.

I'll be headed up to Chicago a few times this spring and it would be great to meet up if you don't mind meeting with me and my 1 1/2 year old grandson. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Joe,
I don't think there is a marked route from the Church, but I know Madrid well and can suggest a route. I'm not sure that the Church opens before 11 or 12, though. But yes, the route is very flat.

Laurie and Joe,
The Church opening hours are 10:00 to 13:00 and 18:00 to 20:00. They issue their own credential which has the insignia of the Church on the top. Nice document.

The walk out of Madrid is a lot better than most departures from a major city. Wide pavements, nice shops and offices, straight, easy going. The first yellow arrow is about an hour and a half from the Church, with the café Rodilla right there for a celebratory café con leche

Laurie and Joe,
The Church opening hours are 10:00 to 13:00 and 18:00 to 20:00. They issue their own credential which has the insignia of the Church on the top. Nice document.

The walk out of Madrid is a lot better than most departures from a major city. Wide pavements, nice shops and offices, straight, easy going. The first yellow arrow is about an hour and a half from the Church, with the café Rodilla right there for a celebratory café con leche
Hi, Donovan,
Did you walk from the church? Are there arrows, or am I right in remembering that you just had to find your way up to the Plaza de Castilla?

Hi, Joe,

I'll be headed up to Chicago a few times this spring and it would be great to meet up if you don't mind meeting with me and my 1 1/2 year old grandson. :)

Laurie:

I just returned from spending four wonderful hours with my 18 month old granddaughter. Maybe we can introduce them to each other. That said, I am not sure I could steal her away from her parents.

I plotted a route from the church to Tres Cantos and it came out to 32.8 km's. A long first day.

Thanks to Donovan, I now know the church does not open until ten.

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Laurie and Joe,

Donovan:

Thank you for the information on church hours.

Joe

Hi, Donovan,
Did you walk from the church? Are there arrows, or am I right in remembering that you just had to find your way up to the Plaza de Castilla?

Hi Laurie,
Yes, I walked from the Church. I collected my credential the evening prior, and overnighted at the Hostal Pretoria, which is well located in the same street as the Amigos' office and very close to the Puerta del Sol.

To get to the Plaza de Castilla I simply followed the Calle San Bernadino/Calle Brave Murillo all the way. The San Bernadino changes its name to Calle Brave Murillo at the Glorieta de Quevado. As mentioned, it's a pleasant walk, with some major traffic roundabouts to keep things interesting. There were no arrows until the Plaza de Castilla. After that the way was well marked. About halfway to Tres Cantos there was no arrow to show a required left turn into the Parque de Santa Ana, but there were arrows about 100 yards down the Paseo de las Alamadillas.

Joe,
32.8 km to Tres Cantos looks rather high. The CSJ guide says 23 km, which fits well with the time it took me to get there.
Donovan.

Last edited:
Laurie:

Joe
If you look over Madrid on Google maps you will find Calle San Bernardo close to Gran Via . From there itś straight forward on Calle San Bernardo untill it change name to Calle Bravo Murillo, same direction straight forward. After an hour or so you end upp in Plaza Castilla and outside of a "Rodilla"restaurant you will find your first yellow arrow. Well marked after that.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I will be leaving Madrid on March 31st and walking either the Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo or the Madrid/Frances/Invierno. I know very little about the Camino Madrid.

Hi Joe,
Another route out of the city is to follow Calle de Alcala out of Puerta Del Sol (close to the little bear statue) to Plaza de Cibile, turn left onto Paseo de Recoleteos: you are then heading almost due north. Follow this street until it becomes Paseo de la Castellana and continue on it until you eventually arrive at Plaza Castilla. Just after passing the iconic 'leaning' bank buildings, you will see your first yellow arrow on the base of a street-lighting column beside the cafe on your left. From there the camino is well marked. This route out of the city is along broad tree lined streets with many fine buildings, fountains, statues etc., including Real Madrid's famous Bernabeu Stadium.

This is a wonderful camino which I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy: all the comments and advice above are spot on.

Take care, be safe.

Wow,

I begin to find the threads I'm in need of: this one for example. I'd like to at least stay over night in Madrid at arrival, but then start right off in the morning. If anyone's interested: I´ll arrive the 24 of June and start walking the day after... Just as another pellygrim above, I'm thinking of linking together Madrid-Salvador-Primitivo.

Thanks for the advice about leaving the center of Madrid, it's the only inconvenient I can think about.

Perhaps you've already discussed this, but: is there any pilgrim-friendly accomodation in Madrid? Close to some starting point?

I'm used to the heat in Spain in summer so there's no problem - but is there any weather condition in and around Madrid I have to be aware of? Isn't it hilly in that region? I've crossed the country quite a few times but never through Madrid.

Thanks

BP

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back