• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Mozárabe, Almería to Granada

MarkyD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
Finally, I've got back onto a Camino, it's been a long time since May 2019. This time I'm blessed with the company of my daughter, who has never done a walk like this before.
Apart from some heavy trodding through dry riverbeds, the route has been a marvelous experience so far. The support from Nely Peregrino of the Camino Mozárabe Association is absolutely first class. The albergues are beautifully kept and run, it seems a pity that there are few pilgrims to enjoy them.
I've attached a few photos of the journey so far:

Attachments

• 20221011_221745.jpg
    20221011_221745.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 777
  • 20221012_102240.jpg
    20221012_102240.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
  • 20221012_111716.jpg
    20221012_111716.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 20221013_082747.jpg
    20221013_082747.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • 20221013_095221.jpg
    20221013_095221.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20221013_102827.jpg
    20221013_102827.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 74
  • 20221014_083513.jpg
    20221014_083513.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 20221014_101734.jpg
    20221014_101734.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20221014_161622.jpg
    20221014_161622.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Finally, I've got back on to a Camino, it's been a long time since May 2019. This time I'm blessed with the company of my daughter, who has never done a walk like this before.
Apart from some heavy trodding through dry riverbeds, the route has been a marvelous experience so far. The support from Nelly Peregrino of the Camino Mozárabe Association is absolutely first class. The albergues are beautifully kept and run, it seems a pity that there are few pilgrims to enjoy them.
Buen Camino, Peregrinos! How special to be walking with your daughter! My last Camino was also in May 2019, the Via de la Plata from Sevilla. And my next one will be March - May 2023, leaving from Almeria on the Mozárabe! So looking forward to meeting Nely and walking this route! Keep the posts coming!
Fred

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We ( my husband and myself) have just restarted our Camino Mozarabe also. We finished in Cordoba in October 2019. We had to skip the stage from Cordoba to Cerro Muriano as our flights were changed. So flew into Malaga yesterday, got train to Cordoba and taxi to Cerro Muriano. Stayed in Bar X and set off this morning. Now in Villaharta staying in El Cruce.Mostly walked on track alongside N432a through old Olive trees and Holm oaks. Quite warm but overcast 24°.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Apart from some heavy trodding through dry riverbeds, the route has been a marvelous experience so far. The support from Nelly Peregrino of the Camino Mozárabe Association is absolutely first class
Glad you're enjoying this Camino, @MarkyD !
The dry riverbeds don't last for ever, and you'll have some beautiful walking ahead of you.

We're doing the Jaén spur right now, and we'll be back on the main Mozárabe after tomorrow.

Nely doesn't just look after you until Granada, but beyond, as we have experienced.

In Guadix, get in touch with Paco! He's also an angel of the Camino.

And if you're the one authoring the videos that Nely shares on the FB page, a big Thank you! They are fabulous!

Buen Camino!

AJ. I must need to join this fb group to see them ? I’ve been sent the monthly link to amigos from Almería tho.
@OzAnnie , you don't need to join a group, it's just the Asociación Jacobea de Almería-Granada' FB page:

The nice thing about this page is that Nely puts up photos of all the pilgrims starting in Almería. So for us, we saw who started after us and when they caught up with us, we knew who they were. :)

And as @MarkyD mentioned he was walking with his daughter, I assumed he was the one sharing photos and short videos with Nely. ☺️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Glad you're enjoying this Camino, @MarkyD !
The dry riverbeds don't last for ever, and you'll have some beautiful walking ahead of you.

We're doing the Jaén spur right now, and we'll be back on the main Mozárabe after tomorrow.

Nely doesn't just look after you until Granada, but beyond, as we have experienced.

In Guadix, get in touch with Paco! He's also an angel of the Camino.

And if you're the one authoring the videos that Nely shares on the FB page, a big Thank you! They are fabulous!

Buen Camino!
Aha, yes, the video compilations of photos are made by me using movie maker function within Google photos. We will be staying in Cuevas Al Jaraiz in Guadix, looking forward to that.

Aha, yes, the video compilations of photos are made by me using movie maker function within Google photos. We will be staying in Cuevas Al Jaraiz in Guadix, looking forward to that.
Paco will come and pick you up and take you to the cathedral to give you a tour, and explain how the cathedral has so many links to the Camino and Santiago. His number is on the Asociación Jacobea guide and he uses WhatsApp.

Enjoy Guadix!

Buen Camino!

We took a rest day in Huéneja yesterday, and today we walked to Alquife. We went through the villages of Dólar, Ferreira, La Calahorra (with the castle on top of the hill), then passed the opencast iron-ore mine just before reaching Alquife to stay at the charming Albergue Lacho, just outside the town and up a hill, of course...

This stage was quite gentle compared to some of the previous ones, with some lovely paths that wind through hillside slopes of chestnut trees and almond trees. There is a huge reservoir that is used to irrigate the agricultural land here.

For the first time, we had a spot of rain, but hardly anything to fuss about. This land needs rain badly, so our needs are the least of anyone's concerns here. The cloudy sky gave us a welcome respite from the blazing sun that we've had up until today.

Here are some photos we took today:

Attachments

• 20221016_082929.jpg
    20221016_082929.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20221016_083655.jpg
    20221016_083655.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20221016_085530.jpg
    20221016_085530.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 20221016_091316.jpg
    20221016_091316.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20221016_094809.jpg
    20221016_094809.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20221016_123235.jpg
    20221016_123235.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33
  • 20221016_125741.jpg
    20221016_125741.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20221016_132928.jpg
    20221016_132928.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221016_151210.jpg
    20221016_151210.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20221016_154254.jpg
    20221016_154254.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We took a rest day in Huéneja yesterday, and today we walked to Alquife. We went through the villages of Dólar, Ferreira, La Calahorra (with the castle on top of the hill), then passed the opencast iron-ore mine just before reaching Alquife to stay at the charming Albergue Lacho, just outside the town and up a hill, of course...

This stage was quite gentle compared to some of the previous ones, with some lovely paths that wind through hillside slopes of chestnut trees and almond trees. There is a huge reservoir that is used to irrigate the agricultural land here.

For the first time, we had a spot of rain, but hardly anything to fuss about. This land needs rain badly, so our needs are the least of anyone's concerns here. The cloudy sky gave us a welcome respite from the blazing sun that we've had up until today.

Here are some photos we took today:
@MarkyD
Your camino is looking great - I am enjoying your pics. Having your daughter for company would make for a perfect experience IMO.
Buen camino
Annie.

The Camino Mozárabe from Almería to Granada has been a fascinating and challenging experience. Today I arrived at the end of the journey for now, having reached Granada with a relatively easy day in the mountains.
My daughter was unable to complete the route with me, despite us both skipping a couple of stages (Abla to Huéneja and then Alquife to Guadix). The risk to her damaged right heel wasn't worth suffering needlessly. She gained valuable experience and says she would come back another time. Luckily, I have a sister who lives in the south of the Granada province, so she and her husband came up to Guadix to pick up my daughter and we had a great evening together.
The following day, it was strange to set off alone after the first 6 days with my daughter, but we had some priceless time together on the Camino. Now it was my solo time, with a hard day from Guadix to La Peza, which took me through the "Badlands" of Spain, the Troglodyte villages and Cave Houses to finally descend down a very steep incline into La Peza at around 7pm in the evening.
The next day was even harder, 27km of steep up and down hill walking from La Peza to Quéntar. The views were absolutely stunning in a different way, with more vegetation and wide "top of the mountain" views that took my breath away at times.
Finally, today, was the relatively easier stage from Quéntar to Granada, which nonetheless had spectacular views from the climb up the mountain after the village of Dúdar. In Dúdar, I was met by another "Mark", who I first met on the Cathedral guided tour, given by the wonderful Paco, in Guadix. We met at the albergue in La Peza, but didn't coincide on the way until this morning. We also bumped into another pilgrim, Yves from France, who quickly paced away into the distance.
I guess I'll have to come back another day and pick up where I left off in Granada. Mark from Sydney, Australia, plans to continue on to Mérida. Buen Camino Mark, from Mark!
Here are three short videos of photo compilations of my last 3 days:

Attachments

• MOVIE-9.mp4
    14.7 MB
  • MOVIE-8.mp4
    18.3 MB
  • MOVIE-7.mp4
    11 MB
Last edited:
The Camino Mozárabe from Almería to Granada has been a fascinating and challenging experience. Today I arrived at the end of the journey for now, having reached Granada with a relatively easy day in the mountains.:
Thanks for the videos, Mark. i get the impression that the track parts are in very good condition. Or were you selective in your picture choices? I’m thinking, bucket-list.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Finally, I've got back onto a Camino, it's been a long time since May 2019. This time I'm blessed with the company of my daughter, who has never done a walk like this before.
Apart from some heavy trodding through dry riverbeds, the route has been a marvelous experience so far. The support from Nely Peregrino of the Camino Mozárabe Association is absolutely first class. The albergues are beautifully kept and run, it seems a pity that there are few pilgrims to enjoy them.

Beautiful photos. I would love to do this Camino. Who knows.

Thanks for the videos, Mark. i get the impression that the track parts are in very good condition. Or were you selective in your picture choices? I’m thinking, bucket-list.
The tracks are generally good, a mixture of loose grit mountain roads, forest and mountain paths, valley paths which cut through areas of vegetation and, of course, there are the uncomfortable and exposed dry riverbeds for the first three stages. There are also a few short road sections, or longer road sections for people doing the route on a bike. Walking poles are essential for the sections of very steep hills and descents, much of which is loose stones, dirt and dust. Some parts even go close to steep drops into the valley.
I would say it's a great route for views and the incredible history of how the Camino Mozárabe is connected to Santiago the Apostle. It's definitely not to be undertaken in the hot months, unless one is completely experienced in that kind of terrain at extreme high temperature, even then I would say it's a crazy thing to do. The high sun elevation and lack of any shade for long stretches would present a serious risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke to many people.
The overall route is always going up in altitude, sometimes gently and sometimes more steeply. There are lots of up and down hills on some stages, but others are more flat. There is an infrastructure of donativo albergues, private albergues and municipal facilities, as well as the odd hotel in some towns.
It's essential to contact the Association of the Camino Mozárabe before going and consult with them during the walk - their knowledge and readiness to help is second to none.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but I fly out of Málaga tomorrow after completing my Camino and I have a pair of decathlon walking poles to donate. Does anyone starting today/tomorrow want them?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Slightly off topic but I fly out of Málaga tomorrow after completing my Camino and I have a pair of decathlon walking poles to donate. Does anyone starting today/tomorrow want them?
You could drop them off at an albergue perhaps. Me and my daughter had used a walking stick and walking pole given to us by Nely Peregrino from her albergue in Almería. We returned them before flying back home yesterday.

The tracks are generally good, a mixture of loose grit mountain roads, forest and mountain paths, valley paths which cut through areas of vegetation and, of course, there are the uncomfortable and exposed dry riverbeds for the first three stages. There are also a few short road sections, or longer road sections for people doing the route on a bike. Walking poles are essential for the sections of very steep hills and descents, much of which is loose stones, dirt and dust. Some parts even go close to steep drops into the valley.
I would say it's a great route for views and the incredible history of how the Camino Mozárabe is connected to Santiago the Apostle. It's definitely not to be undertaken in the hot months, unless one is completely experienced in that kind of terrain at extreme high temperature, even then I would say it's a crazy thing to do. The high sun elevation and lack of any shade for long stretches would present a serious risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke to many people.
The overall route is always going up in altitude, sometimes gently and sometimes more steeply. There are lots of up and down hills on some stages, but others are more flat. There is an infrastructure of donativo albergues, private albergues and municipal facilities, as well as the odd hotel in some towns.
It's essential to contact the Association of the Camino Mozárabe before going and consult with them during the walk - their knowledge and readiness to help is second to none.
Buen Camino
We walked this about 5 years ago but in the hot weather. 42 celsius when we reached Cordoba. Looking at your pics brings back memories. Have you met many other pilgrims? We did not meet any at that time. Link below to a short video of that walk - Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back