• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugués vs Via Podiensis

rgutena

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Portuguese (Coastal)
Hello All - I am a complete newbie to this forum and a relative newbie to the Camino. Having done a small section on my own in France (Aumont-Aubrac to Conques, on the Via Podiensis / Le Puy route) last year, I am planning to do the Camino Portugués from Santarem either to Coimbra or all the way to SdC. However, I am a bit alarmed by John Brierley's advice that the section between Lisbon and Porto is open for 'seasoned pilgrims with a basic grasp of the Portuguese language'. Does anyone know whether the section from Santarem to Coimbra in Portugal is more difficult than the section from Aumont-Aubrac to Conques in terms of navigation and communication, noting that I don't speak any Portuguese (whereas my French is at the intermediate level) and will only have a phrase book?

Thanks heaps!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you learn a few basic phrases in Portuguese to communicate politely you will have no problem. Most locals speak excellent English and often French. Everyone is very eager to be helpful to visitors.

I certainly wouldn't worry about the language issue. I am always amazed at the level of English proficiency in Portugal, even cashiers in the supermarket - way different from Spain! And in my experience they would much rather speak in English than your speaking in Spanish. I tried using my little knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese mixed with Spanish but more often than not they preferred English

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks! Great to hear that language is unlikely to be a problem. As for navigation, I am hoping that my GPS will save the day if necessary...

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back