• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues early may 2016

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Astorga to Santiago, 2015 Le Puy to St JPP, 2016 Lisbon to Santiago
(2018) Camino via Arverna
Hi all,
My plan is to arrive in Lisbon ready to start my camino on the 10th may, but this date is not fixed! This I call Plan A.
I have all my gear spread out on a spare bed, looking for inspiration to reduce the weight, I think the sleeping bag can go, leave the liner, and less "just in case medicines", the camera will be replaced with a smart phone,
the cat and goldfish are taken care of. I will start training next month, walking with a pack every third day, this "regime" has worked for me on previous caminos. Only leaves the excitement and anticipation to enjoy!
I have a booking from NZ on the 3rd may to Paris, spend time recovering, before heading to Lisbon.
There is no Plan B, unless Plan A fails
mal

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Mal,

Unless plate tectonics does something to the Iberian peninsula, you can leave your sleeping bag at home, because Portugal and Spain are warm this time of year, but do bring your liner and treat it with permethrin as there will most likely be bedbugs in at least one of the albergues. If you have the time, visit the town of Sintra when you are in Lisbon. That place is amazing, and so few non-Portuguese know about it. Lastly, pace yourself, because that cobblestone is brutal. I had to give up my last trip because my friend blew out his knew on our second day because he thought he could walk the Portuguese like the Frances. Good luck!

Hi Mal,

Unless plate tectonics does something to the Iberian peninsula, you can leave your sleeping bag at home, because Portugal and Spain are warm this time of year, but do bring your liner and treat it with permethrin as there will most likely be bedbugs in at least one of the albergues. If you have the time, visit the town of Sintra when you are in Lisbon. That place is amazing, and so few non-Portuguese know about it. Lastly, pace yourself, because that cobblestone is brutal. I had to give up my last trip because my friend blew out his knew on our second day because he thought he could walk the Portuguese like the Frances. Good luck!
Thanks for the warning, I am conscious of the pastries slowing me down but didn't realise the cobblestones were that bad. I am only hours away from leaving NZ malcolm

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
My plan is to arrive in Lisbon ready to start my camino on the 10th may, but this date is not fixed! This I call Plan A.
I have all my gear spread out on a spare bed, looking for inspiration to reduce the weight, I think the sleeping bag can go, leave the liner, and less "just in case medicines", the camera will be replaced with a smart phone,
the cat and goldfish are taken care of. I will start training next month, walking with a pack every third day, this "regime" has worked for me on previous caminos. Only leaves the excitement and anticipation to enjoy!
I have a booking from NZ on the 3rd may to Paris, spend time recovering, before heading to Lisbon.
There is no Plan B, unless Plan A fails
mal
Hi Mal
I'm from RSA, will leave Lisbon on 13 May on bike to Porto- will walk from Porto to Santiago
I hope to see you on the way
Bon Camino
Hans

Thanks for the warning, I am conscious of the pastries slowing me down but didn't realise the cobblestones were that bad. I am only hours away from leaving NZ malcolm
You'll see what I mean when you start walking around Lisbon, buy don't fret, it's still very doable and you will enjoy your time there. You just need to be more aware of your feet and body! Enjoy your trek and I'll be jealous!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.