• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 stamps per day Camino de Invierno

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
TOPIC NOW CLOSED: close to 1700 km from Le Puy (with 2 additional variant routes) + CF to Ponferrada + Camino de Invierno (I’m on the last 100 km of the C de Invierno now). It’s impossible to get 2 stamps per day between Rodiero and Lalin (I got one at the Carpintieras Albergue today upon arrival) but tomorrow there’s nowhere for a stamp before arriving in Lalin as everything go is closed or rural. So do I get 2 stamps in Lalin to satisfy the last 100 km 2 stamps/day rule? Thanks for comments. No further info is needed ☺️

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On a general note - the sello doesn´t have to be from anywhere special e.g. church or albergue. Spanish businesses are required to have rubber stamps so any bar or shop will do and most of them are happy to oblige.

Congratulations by the way!
It’s more that there’s zero establishments between towns on the Invierno so to show a pilgrim is moving along one usually obtains new stamps each day and not from the same town where one slept. C Invierno is very rural. Between Rodeiro and Lalin there are no bars or churches (rarely are any open) or anything at all. If I find a sello offered by some abandoned village I’ll post it.

I don't think you need two stamps per day for last 100km if you started in Le Puy? We double checked this as I thought the same as you (I started SJPdP). I certainly didn't get two a day for last 100km and there was no problem with getting my credential.

I could be wrong though. . .

***edit - and I am wrong according to Google searches!! However, me and my two friends (they actually started in Poitiers) didn't get the two a day on the last 100km, but as mentioned received our certs no probs. But obviously best to get two where possible according to rules.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When we did the Norte and the CF, at no point was there a count back on the number of stamps we had. It was very obvious that we had a long journey and after a cursory review, we got our credential. I'm sure that you will have the same experience. Very impressive BTW.

I had the same question on the Invierno last spring. I had stamps starting in Madrid but definitely did not have two stamps a day toward the end. But it all worked out fine at the pilgrim’s office!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recently finished the Invierno and in one instance could not legitimately find a second on the route. Given the intent of their policy is to ensure you walk, I did my part by walking and was ready to explain. No questions were asked and I received my Compostela. I indicated here earlier that I would rather not play any games, simply enjoy my walk and comply with the rules as much as possible and that remained my objective. They agreed. Enjoy your camino.

I’m close to 1700 km from Le Puy (with 2 additional variant routes) + CF to Ponferrada + Camino de Invierno (I’m on the last 100 km of the C de Invierno now). It’s impossible to get 2 stamps per day between Rodiero and Lalin (I got one at the Carpintieras Albergue today upon arrival) but tomorrow there’s nowhere for a stamp before arriving in Lalin as everything go is closed or rural. So do I get 2 stamps in Lalin to satisfy the last 100 km 2 stamps/day rule? Thanks!

Any commercial establishment, including gas stations, and convenience stores will have a rubber stamp for their business. This is kept as a backup for when the electronic cash registers go down. The government requires receipts. So, businesses use these rubber stamps, on plain paper, to generate a manual receipt.

When i walked the Invierno a few years back (2018), I obtained stamps in a winery office/shop, a gasoline station, and a furniture store on a road, among other places.

If it is a business, there will be a rubber stamp. It might not be as fancy as a traditional Camino stamp/sello, but it definitely suffices for establishing your location. Just be polite and ask "tienes un sello?"

Hope this helps.

Tom

I’m close to 1700 km from Le Puy (with 2 additional variant routes) + CF to Ponferrada + Camino de Invierno (I’m on the last 100 km of the C de Invierno now). It’s impossible to get 2 stamps per day between Rodiero and Lalin (I got one at the Carpintieras Albergue today upon arrival) but tomorrow there’s nowhere for a stamp before arriving in Lalin as everything go is closed or rural. So do I get 2 stamps in Lalin to satisfy the last 100 km 2 stamps/day rule? Thanks!
Collette, just show them your pictures. Get as many stamps you can. The time of the year and route, I would think they will be considerate.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I completed the Invierno last weekend. I started in Ponferrada. At the Pilgrim Office I presented my Credencial with just one sello per day always from the albergue where I stayed. It was not feasible to get 2 sellos per day given the dearth of café/bars etc between the various stages. No questions were asked at the Pilgrim Office and I was given my Compostela without ant problem.

I think the two stamps a day rule is only for those doing the 100km routes. All others need only one stamp a day at most. If you have taken an exceptionally long route as you have I don’t think you need fret about stamping except perhaps at lodgings.

I think the two stamps a day rule is only for those doing the 100km routes. All others need only one stamp a day at most. If you have taken an exceptionally long route as you have I don’t think you need fret about stamping except perhaps at lodgings.
Yes this is what I thought too - although not much on the internet to back it up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First, I would not worry about two stamps per day after walking that distance. That said, I finished on the Camino Invierno this Summer and there were plenty of places to get stamps the entire way.

It’s more that there’s zero establishments between towns on the Invierno so to show a pilgrim is moving along onevusualky obtains new stamps each day and not from the same town where one slept and again another stamp when departing the next morning. C Invierno is very rural. Between Rodeiro and Lalin there are no bats or churches (rarely are any open) or anything. If I find a sello offered by some abandoned village I’ll post it.
I don't think you need two stamps per day for last 100km if you started in Le Puy? We double checked this as I thought the same as you (I started SJPdP). I certainly didn't get two a day for last 100km and there was no problem with getting my credential.

***edit - and I am wrong according to Google searches!! However, me and my two friends (they actually started in Poitiers) didn't get the two a day on the last 100km, but as mentioned received our certs no probs. But obviously best to get two where possible according to rules.
Yes officially it’s 2 sellos/day from the last 100 km given the Compostela is given for only the LAST 100km not for distance. Anyway, I managed more than 2 today.

It’s impossible to get 2 stamps per day between Rodiero and Lalin
Yes, we found the same - we were not able to get two stamps on this section, simply because there weren't any services along the way at all. Daniel, at the pilgrim support shop in Lalin, gave us 4 of his special stamps but I knew only one of them could be counted. I was concerned about the lack of a stamp from somewhere else on this day too but it wasn't questioned at the Pilgrim Office. Wishing you well as you finish your wonderful pilgrimage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

It's two stamps per day regardless of where you start, but the volunteers at the pilgrims office are allowed to use their discretion and give a Compostela without that requirement. But it's advised to get the two stamps per day even if you've walked from SJPdP or farther. I think that it makes the volunteers' jobs easier, and decreases any anxiety about receiving a Compostela.

Here's the text from the Pilgrim Office:

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

I walked that stretch in 2009. Several cafes and bars told me that they did not have an official rubber stamp. So I asked them to simply sign and date my credential and that was acceptable at the Office of Pilgrims. I entered Santiago de Compostela on November 8th, 2009 (so it was off season as well as being a route with few pilgrims in general). I'm sure that you will be fine! As others have posted, "do the best you can."

First, I would not worry about two stamps per day after walking that distance. That said, I finished on the Camino Invierno this Summer and there were plenty of places to get stamps the entire way.
You walked in summer, at this time (since Oct 31st) very little open except in big towns.
I walked that stretch in 2009. Several cafes and bars told me that they did not have an official rubber stamp. So I asked them to simply sign and date my credential and that was acceptable at the Office of Pilgrims. I entered Santiago de Compostela on November 8th, 2009 (so it was off season as well as being a route with few pilgrims in general). I'm sure that you will be fine! As others have posted, "do the best you can."
It’s off season and two days now there are zero services and sometimes zero people all day. I’m almost done so I’m sure all will work out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Colette Z , 1700 kms is a significant achievement. Especially given the weather you (and all the pilgrims out there) experienced last month. To say I have never been overly fond of days of rain - even when at home, sitting in front of the fire - is an understatement. Respect.
A couple more days and you'll be in Santiago. At which point I presume you will live up to your avatars name - a "Happy Pilgrim" !

@Colette Z , 1700 kms is a significant achievement. Especially given the weather you (and all the pilgrims out there) experienced last month. To say I have never been overly fond of days of rain - even when at home, sitting in front of the fire - is an understatement. Respect.
A couple more days and you'll be in Santiago. At which point I presume you will live up to your avatars name - a "Happy Pilgrim" !
Thank you Peter, yes 3 days more and my regular “happy” meter will read “joyfully happy”. My prayers on this Camino has been answered and I return to Ottawa with a heart full of hope and a deeper faith. Thank you for the kind words, Colette

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good on you!
I have to say, I loved Ottawa. Thought it was quite a beautiful city, although my immediate memories of it are limited to a couple of special events.
1/ I walked into town on Canada Day. (Which having been in the bush for a couple of weeks I was unaware of). Set myself up at the campsite, the usual chores etc, and then walked into the centre. Seemed to be a big event going on, lots of people lining the street. I reached the barriers and look down the road just in time to see a big black limousine drive slowly past. The first - and only - time in my life that I got to see the Queen, and the famous wave. Thought it was rather funny because I just been living in London a few months before, not far from Buckingham palace and had never seen sight nor sound of her, or any of the royal family for that matter.
2/ looking for something to eat I came across a sushi restaurant. It had literally just opened that day and, whilst I had heard of it, I had never had sushi. (Early 90s). The owner was also the chef and prepared everything right in front of my eyes. Towards the end all that was left was a little bit of ginger and a conical green thing, so I popped the green thing into my mouth.
Now I do not encourage spitting out food, certainly not in a restaurant but that came out a hell of a lot faster than it went in. Pure wasabi .......
And despite my allergies, my nasal passages were very clear for the first time in a very long time!

TOPIC NOW CLOSED: close to 1700 km from Le Puy (with 2 additional variant routes) + CF to Ponferrada + Camino de Invierno (I’m on the last 100 km of the C de Invierno now). It’s impossible to get 2 stamps per day between Rodiero and Lalin (I got one at the Carpintieras Albergue today upon arrival) but tomorrow there’s nowhere for a stamp before arriving in Lalin as everything go is closed or rural. So do I get 2 stamps in Lalin to satisfy the last 100 km 2 stamps/day rule? Thanks for comments. No further info is needed ☺️
Don’t worry, I had the same problem when I walked the Invierno about 2 months ago. Not enough places opened to get 2 stamps. It was fine 😉
Congratulations 👏

It is not a problem,i did de way also .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back