• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in May 2015

Archsas

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo - May 2015
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (and the Camino), so I thought I'd introduce myself and talk about my plans.

I first heard about the Camino in an art history class a few years ago during a lecture on Gothic cathedrals, basically as a sidenote about the Santiago cathedral and its importance. For some reason, the brief description stuck in my head, probably because the idea of pilgrimage and its meaning sounded appealing to me at a point when I was just starting to get my life together and find some purpose. More college actually made the Camino seem even more appealing, since it ties into my major and minor (anthropology/archaeology and religion). I decided to actually do the pilgrimage this year because it seemed appropriate and I actually had some free time. This is a huge transition year for me: I graduated college and will be starting grad school later in the year, with an accompanying huge change in location. I'm really looking forward to how the Camino can help usher in and mark a new stage in my life.

So, why the Primitivo instead of the Frances? It was actually a pretty hard decision. In the end, the fact that the Primitivo is closer to the traditional medieval route swayed me. I love old things (heck, I study archaeology!), so the idea of walking the same route as people would have done a thousand years ago seemed insanely cool to me. I've also always liked walking through mountains, being from the Pacific Northwest. But mostly, it's about trying to find my own relationship to an ancient ritual and finding meaning from it. People close to me have had a hard time understanding why I want to do the Camino, but I know it's going to be an amazing experience.

Anyway, that's my (probably far too long) introduction. I have a little over a month before I leave, and can't wait to start walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will have time to spend at least one full day in Lugo. There are the walls to see, a museum full of Roman items (and more) and also the House of the Mosaics, with the original floors under the current house - now a museum. Here you can choose to have the film show and display info in English if you want. Actually make that 2 days in Lugo :):). If you visit the cathedral and are there after about 10.00 am and before 14.00 you can get the cathedral stamp in the offices up the steps opposite the west door.

(Edit:- I forgot to mention the Roman baths, under the hotel to the left of the bridge as you leave Lugo on the Camino. Free entry through the hotel lobby. Pegs for noses needed? :) as these are sulphur springs and they smell.....)

Last edited:
Hello
I plan on doing the Camino either at the end of May or beginning June
still not sure where to start from (i live in the netherlands)
much as i read about the accomodation along the way, i would like to carry my tent and either go a few KMs a day to camp (not being cheap)
where would be best to start?

thanks

Hello
I plan on doing the Camino either at the end of May or beginning June
still not sure where to start from (i live in the netherlands)
much as i read about the accomodation along the way, i would like to carry my tent and either go a few KMs a day to camp (not being cheap)
where would be best to start?

thanks
Hi Luereene, Welcome to the Forum, I can't answer your question as I haven't walked the Primitivo yet. But I might suggest that if you don't get answers in the next day or two, start a new thread so folks will see the subject line for you message. Buen Camino, Liz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @Laureene - I assume that you do mean the Camino Primitivo.
Oviedo is the best place to start if flying into Asturias airport. Camping will, I believe, be difficult as this is mainly farmland where the owner might not want campers, or wild moorland/mountain with no nearby facilities. There are no camping areas although some albergues might let you pitch a tent. The best way to go would be to check out the albergues where you will have simple accomodation and facilities as well as meeting other pilgrims. If you want some solitude you can book cheap private rooms in many places now.
Wild camping is illegal in many places in Spain and there is no need really to take a tent. Extra watch is kept because of the fire risk - last year many hectares were destroyed because of fire.
The Primitivo is a lovely route Buen Camino

Hi Everyone :) Just got back home after completing my first Camino - Primitivo... Experience is amazing, people - fantastic, weather - changes (sometimes very rapidly so be prepared). Never knew that I will be able to do such a challenge. With a little walking preparation and right (I think) gear but with a huge help from fantastic people from along the route I had the best time of my life :)

Buen Camino, Ela

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.