• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino/Retreat in Tenerife South

Sarah Jane Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all,
I am looking for a spiritual, meditative or Camino style retreat in Tenerife this New Year. Has anyone done something like this and can recommend accommodation or a town that may be suitable?
Buen Camino
Sarah

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I have spent a fair bit of time in the south of Tenerife in the last 3 years. Whilst I am not aware of any locations that will meet your needs directly (it’s a haven for folks from north and Central Europe to spend lots of time on so gets busy) I found the towns of El Medano and Los Abrigos really nice and authentic. There is plenty of coastal walking and inland too, and the public transport is fantastic and cheap. They are lots of towns that have huge ex-expat populations. South Tenerife is also popular with water sports folks due high winds and folks from mainland Spain, as the one hour time difference with the mainland means folks can finish their working day at say 1700 Madrid time which is 1600 Tenerife time so they can have a longer evening!!

Maybe look at other Canary Islands too. La Gomera is a walking heaven and La Palma is great too! Oh and don’t forget Gran Canaria!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are at least a few ‘middle of nowhere’ places in the middle of the islands. If you search booking.com on

GREEN VILLAGE. TONY FRÍAS.

You will a find a highly recommended place that gets great reviews and is very cheap. I very nearly stayed there a few times but it didn’t quite happen!

Hi. I have spent a fair bit of time in the south of Tenerife in the last 3 years. Whilst I am not aware of any locations that will meet your needs directly (it’s a haven for folks from north and Central Europe to spend lots of time on so gets busy) I found the towns of El Medano and Los Abrigos really nice and authentic. There is plenty of coastal walking and inland too, and the public transport is fantastic and cheap. They are lots of towns that have huge ex-expat populations. South Tenerife is also popular with water sports folks due high winds and folks from mainland Spain, as the one hour time difference with the mainland means folks can finish their working day at say 1700 Madrid time which is 1600 Tenerife time so they can have a longer evening!!

Maybe look at other Canary Islands too. La Gomera is a walking heaven and La Palma is great too! Oh and don’t forget Gran Canaria!
Hi, Have you walked the Camino de Gran Canaria ? I have 2 weeks from the 16th December and undecided whether to Island hop or stay on just one island. Are there any thru hikes you can recommend? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Have you walked the Camino de Gran Canaria ? I have 2 weeks from the 16th December and undecided whether to Island hop or stay on just one island. Are there any thru hikes you can recommend? Thanks.
No sadly not. Didn’t really do any hiking apart from small stuff. I did stay in Tejeda, the mountainous in the centre of Gran Canaria for a while and that was fantastic. A lot of people were hiking though and they all seemed very happy/ impressed.

There are ferries and flight between most islands. I used Binter Airlines a lot and they were great. About €50, a sector. Most (though not all) of the domestic flights go from the north airport, Los Rodeos, as opposed to the south airport.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all,
I am looking for a spiritual, meditative or Camino style retreat in Tenerife this New Year. Has anyone done something like this and can recommend accommodation or a town that may be suitable?
Buen Camino
Sarah
Hi Sarah Jane
As Chrissy said, we go to Tenerife every Jan/ Feb and the walking there is amazing with plenty of public transport as Travelling Man said
However I’ve never heard of retreat/meditation centres there but if you Google “retreat centres“ in Tenerife you will find a fair amount to choose from

i have just taken a screenshot of places you you might want to look at, but again I know nothing about them or where they are and these are just a few on the site

There are a lot of lovely villages away from the hustle and bustle of the beaches
We usually stay opposite the main Bus station for a quick getaway in the morning and away from the beach

Do let us know on the forum if you find a place

Attachments

• IMG_6967.png
    IMG_6967.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6968.png
    IMG_6968.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 19

Most read last week in this forum

This is only my opinion and suggestion and if you don't agree or like it that is fine and dandy. It will not bother me in the least. For days we have been seeing posts about too many pilgrims...
Good day, I am new on the Forum. Exciting! I am planning to dedicate 10-12 days to the Camino. I am leaning towards the Del Norte route but want to end in Santiago. With limited time, it made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back