• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino stage 1 st jean de port to longrono

tyrrellstown

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi

First time poster here... i am looking to do stage 1 st jean pied de port to logrono in may
my fitness is very good and a good walker
How many days do people do this route?
is it easy to follow the route, is there a need for a guide?
would a week be long enough
when i reach lorgrono do i get a bus back to where i started

sorry if i posted in wrong section
Thanks in advance

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Honestly, just set off. It will be fine.

My advice : don't burden yourself with targets.

There are plenty of busses.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi

First time poster here... i am looking to do stage 1 st jean pied de port to logrono in may

Thanks in advance
6-7 days of walking. Very well marked so no need of a guide. A guide book is handy but not necessary. Can get transportation back to st Jean or directly to a major city from Logrono.

Why would you want to get back to the starting point? This would be very complicated: you'd first have to get a bus to Pamplona, and then make your way back to SJPP from there - but there's a possibility this connection will no longer be running (Alsa is still deciding), and in any case you'd just be getting back to a small town in the middle of the Pyrenees so it's going to be quite difficult making your way to an airport from there.

It would be far easier to book a flight back from a city closer to Logrono with direct bus connections - in order of distance, try: Bilbao, Santander, San Sebastian, Zaragoza, Madrid. I'm sure Ryanair has direct flights from some of these places back to Dublin!

Welcome, @tyrellstown! I see that you are from Dublin. Like you are planning to do, I, too have walked the Camino Frances in sections and know from experience that it's possible to travel from any point along the trail to anywhere and vice versa. However, some combinations of arrival airport and departure airport are more cumbersome, more time consuming or more costly than others. As already recommended, use www.rome2rio.com to check out your options. Off the top of my head and without checking flights from and to Dublin, I would say that Biarritz, Bilbao and even Madrid are best for arrival and Bilbao and Madrid are best for departure.

We walked the distance SJPP to Logroño in 8 days which is about average I think.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome, @tyrellstown! I see that you are from Dublin. Like you are planning to do, I, too have walked the Camino Frances in sections and know from experience that it's possible to travel from any point along the trail to anywhere and vice versa. However, some combinations of arrival airport and departure airport are more cumbersome, more time consuming or more costly than others. As already recommended, use www.rome2rio.com to check out your options. Off the top of my head and without checking flights from and to Dublin, I would say that Biarritz, Bilbao and even Madrid are best for arrival and Bilbao and Madrid are best for departure.

We walked the distance SJPP to Logroño in 8 days which is about average I think.

Buen camino!
Thank you yea I’m gona fly into birattz and gona sort out a return so maybe Bilbao or Madrid

Why would you want to get back to the starting point? This would be very complicated: you'd first have to get a bus to Pamplona, and then make your way back to SJPP from there - but there's a possibility this connection will no longer be running (Alsa is still deciding), and in any case you'd just be getting back to a small town in the middle of the Pyrenees so it's going to be quite difficult making your way to an airport from there.

It would be far easier to book a flight back from a city closer to Logrono with direct bus connections - in order of distance, try: Bilbao, Santander, San Sebastian, Zaragoza, Madrid. I'm sure Ryanair has direct flights from some of these places back to Dublin!
Thank you.. I will get a flight from one of them cities back to Dublin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome to the forum.
In late August 2017 I did my first stage the same as yours.
I flew in to Biarritz. Day 1 was train to Bayonne then St Jean and walked to Roncesvalles. On day 6 I walked into Logroño. On day 7 I got a bus to Irun then train back to Biarritz.
No problem. I was 69 at the time. (In 2018 I went back to Logroño and finished the pilgrimage to Santiago and on to Muxía and Finisterre.)
Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@tyrrellstown , in my view anywhere from 6 days upwards.

As with all these things your level of fitness and hour of start (earlier the better, in my view, to minimise being in the heat of the day) will determine what you will achieve.

A number of Alsa Bus services from Logrno call in at Bilbao Airport. But the city is worth a look around, if you have the time. And hostel accomodation should be available considering it is on one of the other Camino routes

Kia Kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I did the same thing you're doing in August '17 and flew out of Logroño. At the time they only had flights to Madrid and Mallorca. Don't plan on eating at the airport. 😂 Not sure if you could ticket Logroño to Dublin with a connection on one of those two stops. Good luck!

Once in Logrono, I took the Tren Hotel (comfy reclining seat to bed, overnight train) for about 65 euro to A Coruna and then another 20 minutes by train to SdC. From there, if needed, you may fly homeward.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

Thanks in advance
A week is plenty of time for the fit. That is, if you want to rush through it, dont stop to smell or even see the roses, dont stop to talk with anyone, and if all goes right with the weather. The path/road is clear, and you wont need a guide. Take it slower, you wont regret it.
Jacke
(jacscamino.wordpress.com)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back