• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel by train from Paris to St Jean Pied de Port.

DianaEB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese April 2022
Does anyone know how to travel by train from Paris to St Jean Pied de Port?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless you already have a ticket, I prefer to fly from the USA into Madrid and bus/train to SJPP or to Pamplona for a day or two of recovery and then to SJPP.

I've gone via France and did not like it.

I've done it a couple of times.
Very easy.
Great excuse for a day in Paris to get over jet lag.
The Airport Bus takes you to Gare Montparnasse
Montparnasse station to Bayonne on the fast train (TGV 4 hours).
Bayonne to St Jean (connecting train)

If you stay near Gare Montparnasse you can easily walk to central Paris to see the Louvre etc.
We walked from there up to Montmatre.
Easy city to walk around to many of the main sights.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also love to spend a day in Paris!
It's easy to make your way to Montparnasse from CdG on RER B and then a Metro line.
I stayed at Enjoy Hostel which was about 10-15 minutes from Gare Montparnasse.
Checked myself in, then oriented myself how to get to GM "for tomorrow" went to hang out at Cimetière Montparnasse and had a wonderful dinner of Escargot and Bouef Tartar...
As @trecile initially said the train will take you to Bayonne and then you switch. Do pre-book if you can. A 10:00am or thereabouts train will take IIRC 4.5 hours and get you to SJPDP perhaps around 3pm
Good luck and Buen Camino

Hola G'Day @DianaEB & @trecile. Yes from my 2017 travels this was the most effective. However I should add that in April (and sometimes in late March through to early May) the Bayonne to St Jean line can be closed for maintenance in which case they (SNCF) will put on two or three buses. Cheers

Rien de plus simple!! French distance trains are marvellous, and unlike in the UK each ticket is given a seat number. No overcrowding, clean, fast, comfortable, cheap - is an easy journey, just check your Bayonne connection to the St Jean train so you aren't waiting around for too long.
Pensioners can get a good discount.

If you are getting over jet lag you can break your journey and stop in Bordeaux, that beautiful city.

As an aside - it is often mentioned that you have to walk "up the hill" from St jean station into town - this is not true, it is merely a gentle slope for the last 100 metres of the 650 metre stroll to the centre. Credit Agricole bank with a cashpoint set back on the right as the road curves left after 500 metres.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
as an aside - it is often mentioned that you have to walk "up the hill" from St jean station into town - this is not true, at most it is a gentle slope and the centre is very close.
If the prospect of the walk from the station into the centre of town is daunting then it might be an idea to rethink your plans to walk a Camino! :cool:

Yes, there are many threads on this.
I took the train from the Montparnasse station to Bayonne, then transferred to what I call "the pilgrim express" train to St Jean Pied de Port. Depending on when you are going these routes might not be available to book yet.
I booked this trip a few weeks ago online. No problems.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I made this trip in November of 2022. I had a ticket from Gare Montparnasse to St jean Pied de Port, with a change at Bayonne. Unfortunately, the onward train was cancelled (due to a strike, I was told), and I had to locate the bus to St Jean Pied de Port. I was informed that it was not unusual for this to happen. Just so you know!

The TGV to Bordeaux and Bayonne has double decker cars. If you want to see the French countryside on your ride be sure to book a seat on the upper level. I don't know if that requires a first class ticket. But, for the sights, it would be worth it. Bon Chemin.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you want to see the French countryside on your ride be sure to book a seat on the upper level. I don't know if that requires a first class ticket
It does not require a first class ticket. I have traveled in the upper level twice - once one a first class ticket, and once on a standard ticket.

And if the bus is necessary from Bayonne to SJPdP, it leaves from the same parking lot as the train station. It's a small station with helpful staff. I flew to Paris then taxied to Gare Montparnasse, thence to Bayonne which is a delightful place to recover from jet lag for a couple of days. It's an easy city for walking with historical monuments and plenty of good restaurants. The Nive River flows through the city—the very same river one crosses in SJPdP to begin the Camino journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The train system in France is a great way to go. That said, if flying from Paris is not out of the question, I recommend checking out current costs. Last I checked, you could get direct flights out of either Paris airport to Biarritz for about 140 USD. Flight time is about 90 minutes. Train is definitely cheaper (70 to 100 USD), but 4-5 hours travel time.

@Jarrad - cannot argue with that, however I do believe that those of us who "advertise" (if you will) the train do it with stipulation that one has to spend the night in the city. If you're going to do that, then start trekking back to CdG 'tomorrow morning', then fly to Biarritz, then try to get to SJPdP from there - well there goes your 4-5 hours and I suspect it will take even longer.
If one does not want to make a stop-over then I guess make the change for domestic flight and go to Biarritz in one day (that would be an option)

Train is a nice option. You can even bring some food and\or lite snacks. Sit by the window and enjoy the scenery rolling by. Nothing to see on the 90-min flight except clouds.... ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Super simple (as others said on this thread): by train from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to Bayonne and then from Bayonne Station take the train to Saint-Jean Pied de Port. If for whatever reason (maintenance, landslide, strike) the train to SJPDP is not going, there will be a bus replacement going from the station. No need to fret about booking ahead either, in particularly for the stretch Bayonne-SJPDP. It does not get any simpler than that :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, there are many threads on this.
I took the train from the Montparnasse station to Bayonne, then transferred to what I call "the pilgrim express" train to St Jean Pied de Port. Depending on when you are going these routes might not be available to book yet.
This is exactly how I did it in May of 2022. I stayed overnight in Paris at a small but nice at HOTEL DE PARIS MONTPARNASSE across from the Montparnasse station (where all the high speed trains depart Paris). Got off in Bayonee and stayed at Hotel ibis Styles Bayonne near the train station. The hotel overlooked the river. I then took the local train to SJPDP the next morning. It was good that I had two days to accommodate to the time zone differences. Three actually, because I stayed one night in SJPDP at Beilari Albergue (directly across from the Pilgrim's Office).

For searching for train connections I use the DB Navigator app (Deutsche Bahn).

For actually purchasing the tickets in France (once I know what I’m doing from the step above) i use the SNCF Connect app. This also holds your tickets (as QR codes) to show on trains.

Of course you can search for trains in the SNCF app but sometimes I’ve found the DB one better for more complex journeys (or if i wish to see which ones allow bicycles).

Trainline app also works especially across multiple countries.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will travel on the 19th of March. Starting in Liege.
I"m traveling in early June and I only see tickets for one afternoon train on the SNCF Connect web site. There is another note that says more trains may be available soon. I have no idea how far in advance tickets should be purchased.

I've done it a couple of times.
Very easy.
Great excuse for a day in Paris to get over jet lag.
The Airport Bus takes you to Gare Montparnasse
Montparnasse station to Bayonne on the fast train (TGV 4 hours).
Bayonne to St Jean (connecting train)
You know.... I just noticed:
Airport Bus to GM --> GM to Bayone --> Bayone to SJPdP

where is the day in Paris to get over jet lag? :rolleyes:;):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You know.... I just noticed:
Airport Bus to GM --> GM to Bayone --> Bayone to SJPdP

where is the day in Paris to get over jet lag? :rolleyes:;):)

You can insert a 'pause' ;)

Airport Bus to GM --> OVERNIGHT STOP --- >GM to Bayone --> Bayone to SJPdP

Nice places to stay around GM (Gare Montparnasse) and an easy walk to the centre of Paris.
Louvre etc.

As explained in my post above. (You left out the 'staying' part when you paraphrased the post). ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back