• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CAMINO via LA HERMIDA-POLA DE SOMIEDO in the Picos de Europa

turlough

Hello to all
I have done 6 Caminos by bike, 5 on the Camino Frances and 1 Via de la Plata. I have a real interest in crossing the Picos Europa next time.. as far as I know there is no route this way.
However I came across a route ( LA HERMIDA-POLA DE SOMIEDO) which is off road and over the Picos.
Has anyone any experieince of this>
Is it feasible to do it and continue on to Santiago?

Love ot hear from any one who knows anything at all about it.

Turlough

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't heard of that route but there are bike routes in Cantabria in the Picos which you can check here:
http://www.rutasporcantabria.com/homengl.php

I found a file in Spanish on that route called Transcantabrica LA HERMIDA-POLA DE SOMIEDO which shows profile maps, stages, daily distances and stunning photographs of the route - some on paths and trails and others on small roads.

http://www.cuenca.org/bbdd/agenda/textos/26_05_06.pdf

You could also contact the Amigos del Camino people on the northern routes:

AACS Astur-Leonesa http://www.caminosantiagoastur.com/
AASC Tineo http://www.caminotineo.com/
http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/

Good luck! Looks like it will be a fascinating area to ride through.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Uffff ....

There was anybody looking for these Caminos couple of years ago ... Sta. MarĂ­a de Liebana, Potes, Covadonga ...

After Oviedo, the way I would try is: Until Trubia and, after that, cycling to Sta. MarĂ­a de Teverga (there's a way only for bikes, "la senda del Osu". With incredibly nice views between high mountains.

When you are in Teverga, there's a very lonely road to Pola de Somiedo, crossing the Puerto de San Lorenzo. And, in Pola de somiedo, I can give you a telephone number for a pensiĂłn If you want to make a previous reservation.

And, after that, crossing the Puerto de Somiedo to the remote Babia area, then taking the road to Villablino and Ponferrada. All this area is, again, marvellous.

I know well this region, but I don't know if this is the best way to go. Last time I visited it was about 7-8 years ago, always by car.

If you think I can help you, please ask me!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I forgot it.

There's another way, aas marvellous and incredibly lonely and enjoyable like that.

After Covadonga, you will arrive to Cangas de Onis (this is an importany and historical places for spanish story, where the Reconquista began on 8th century) When in Cangas de Onis there's a road to the Puerto del Ponton, incredible again, and when you cross it down you arrive to Riaño, nice and "new" town, the same like Portomarin after a new pantano.

From Riaño there's a way marked with yellow arrows, with albergues, to ... I think Valencia de Don Juan, or wherever very near Leon.

If you are interested in this route, I know at least two pilgrims who walked it.

Buen Camino!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi Javier
Thanks for those replies. My pc crashed and I'm only getting it organised again now.
Sounds very interesting and I would definitely like to know more.
I hvae only seen pictures of the Picos and they look wonderful for cycling through but I have no Spanish and so find it hard to get any info on cycling through the region.
Would love more info if you have some.
Regards
Turlough

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.