• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with family?

zahorodnyj

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino
I've been planning to walk the Camino alone for the past month or so, my father who i don't live with has recently heard of my plan and indicated his desire to join me, i would love to share this with him.

So, I'm curious as to how similar situations have worked out for fellow pilgrims in the past?

Cheers, and much love.

Kyle.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kyle

I often walk with young females ages 20s to 30s who tell me things they wish they was able to discuss with there father

so I say to them maybe they could tell they father what they told me when they go home

it could be a rewarding re-bonding camino for you both if your honest with each other.......many times I have seen father daughter/son and it works well on the camino

tell him you love to share the camino with him......

good luck and enjoy

Last edited:
I love your last sentence, and i said this to him already, a massive thank you :)

I also love your photo and this forum, i'm 7 m0nths away from my start date but already i feel the love, the community and power :)

Safe travels, Kyle

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've never walked as part of a parent/adult child duo, but have met a number of people who were, and invariably they were having a great time together. Not always easy, but...

You know, Kyle, if you want it to work, it will. And guaranteed you will go places in your relationship that you never did before--that might be delightful and/or it might not be easy at all. But if you both go with the intention to work with whatever comes up, your connection will be much deeper and more three-dimensional.

This goes for walking with friends, too. You think you know each other? HA! Just wait. But if you love each other--really love each other rather, unconditionally, rather than only loving the other person when they do or act how you want them to--things get worked out.

And that photo Jill just posted says it all! Talk to each other...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I so wish I had my dad around and healthy, so we could walk the Camino together! He loved this sort of stuff so much, and got me hooked on travel a long time ago.

Here is the best part of traveling with a family member: you are so comfortable with the quiet spaces between. You almost communicate without talking. Stuff like, need some toothpaste?...Let's get some food...Want some water?....and then silence for an hour and a half before..."Feel like a beer? me too!"...

It is good to see that you are going to walk with your Dad. Walking with some-one needs some thought so I suggest reading the thread Walking with a Companion would help you both. You might want to tackle hills like we do, there might be times you want to share together and others you want some way to be quiet together. You have a wonderful opportunity to build a great relationship with your Dad.
Buen Camino to you both

My husband and I have walked seven times with our son, from the age of 8. Last Easter (at 18) he said he didn't want to come with us, so we left him at home. He has since said that he'll join us next year, that even if we're old and boring he wants to walk a part of a camino every year from now on.

Thanks, I guess...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My mom came to join me on the Camino a couple of years back, insisting that she just wanted to be a 'tourigrino' - she foresaw a relaxing stroll between villages, followed by a nice glass of rioja and a siesta... I totally respected that, as I was just happy to spend time with her in a place I love. To her own surprise, on the first day, she walked about 26km... and it just snowballed from there. It was like she discovered a whole new side of herself; she took to Camino Life like a duck to water, half the time I didn't even know where she was, she was so busy off gallivanting with other pilgrims!

Of course there were 'trying' moments, when we were both feeling tired and vulnerable, and 'stuff' came up, as you can imagine... however it all happened in the supportive environment of the camino, and I have to say, given the context, some of the 'stuff' started to seem really trivial ;) ... I would say to anyone considering walking with a parent or other companion: whatever you do, you can't take responsibility for someone else's Camino; on some level, you just need to 'give it up' to The Way, and trust that you will both have the experience you need to grow into a stronger and wiser person... I came away with a profound sense of gratitude for the chance to deepen my relationship with my mother; the person without whom I would not be alive to walk the camino in the first place... :)

I've been planning to walk the Camino alone for the past month or so, my father who i don't live with has recently heard of my plan and indicated his desire to join me, i would love to share this with him.

So, I'm curious as to how similar situations have worked out for fellow pilgrims in the past?

Cheers, and much love.

Kyle.
hi, i have walked with my dad and youngest sister for two weeks.. the next year i walked with dad for one week and last year i walked the full 5 weeks with my sister,we are quite different and none of us had done anything like this so we didnt know what to expect,(first walk was a surprise birthday gift for dads 60th)we agreed that at if at any stage any one of us wanted to stay a little longer in one town or to speed up to the next that there would be no hard feelings..each to our own kind of idea. however we found that there was enough room for us to move about each day without being in each others pockets,so we did end up in the same albergues and cafes all the way and we did not argue but found to our surprise that we loved chatting and got along really well.but i think it helped me to know that IF i needed a break i could have one and then meet up and start again .ps some of the family thought myself and my sis would kill each other after a few days but to both our surprise a day did not pass when we found something funny or amazing to smile about and no time outs were needed,but to get to the point i would say if poss to agree that no hard feeling if either of you want to stay a little longer in one town or the other,

Hey folks, I haven't been here in a while but i remember your swift replies to my query, and they convinced me that it would be a great idea to travel with my father, turns out recent circumstances mean he won't be able to make it, a great shame but hey ho, maybe another time.

Just thought I'd pop back and say cheers very very much for your responses, they convinced me in a flash, adios :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back