• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Canfranc Estacion is in the news

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those of us who have walked through Canfranc this article from the Guardian is interesting news. The Railway Station to become a hotel and the railway line re-opened (although that is not exactly new).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is this where you are intending to go.
Exactly.

Edit: More information here, and on Alan's original thread:

Last edited:
Glad to hear it, but every year there seems to be a new plan to reinvigorate the station. I hope that eventually one comes to fruition.

Ha! I was about to post the link - but clearly I don't get up early enough...
It's a nice article with great background, and positive news for those of us who are in awe of that part of the world.
BTW although Sirage's picture of the Chemin de la Mature makes it look like you need a head for heights, it's actually wider than this pic suggests and pretty much family-friendly.
Really hoping to get back there soon

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Such a hopeful news. I have been through CanFranc twice, once on the Camino Aragon from Pau France, and once while hiking the GR 11. I was saddened by seeing such a magnificent old station sitting there in apparent abandonment. If you go there I recommend walking over to the old RR tunnel entrance at night just to experience the wind blowing through the tunnel from France. Definitely spooky. Old Hillwalker on YouTube

I have pleasant memories of exploring this remarkable place in 2018. And the more time passes the more I'm tempted to do the CA again.... But if they turn it into a luxury hotel I'll stay elsewhere. Like most Forum folks, I very rarely stay in luxury hotels.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did it in Fall 2019. Be very informed about possible violent weather as you scale up from France Into Spain there. The area is beautiful. Arrange for a tour from a local guide before you get there.